iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silver Lining? Tarnished Bronzed Lining Acceptable

Started by Georgia Peach, June 23, 2006, 03:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Peach

Gotta be some kind of lining to this cloud. After 9 months of unbelievable issues repairing a home damaged by a tenant, finally got it listed with RE agent to sale this week. Now the beautiful hickory tree located in the front yard is dead/dying. County Extension Agent stated that tree is dying due to backfill of dirt on root system approximately 15 feet from tree 8 months ago.

FACTS:
Hickory Tree
69 inch diameter at base (didn't know to measure 4.5 feet above base)
Height: tall
Cosmetic: straight and beautiful (when alive)
General Location: North Metro Atlanta (Forsyth County)
Specific Location: Front yard of home on subdivision lot
Access to Tree: Front yard with truck and/or lift bucket
Obstructions: House to rear, One living tree (maple?) to right side of tree (would be willing to loose it too if needed to remove dead/dying hickory) all other areas around tree clear.
Other: I live 2 hours from the home therefore I can't give better specifics about the tree now. I will be going to the home this weekend and can make myself available to the home most of the time.
FYI: Broke, busted and hard to be trusted (not really - to the trust) as I have been sinking $$ in left & right for repairs along with making mortgage payments (less rental income). Agent says need to address tree issue as will hurt marketability of home.

QUESTIONS:
Any possibility to sale the tree for its timber? (Silver Lining) There are a couple of sawmills in the immediate area. If I am able to sale the tree what approx. value should I expect to be offered? If I can't find anyone to purchase the tree is it a possibility that I might find someone to remove it for free? (Tarnished Bronze Lining) Should I start calling sawmills, loggers, tree removal services, or others? Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated. I am fully aware that any guidance is based on a lot of variables. Therefore ANY direction is better than where I stand now. Please also accept my apology for being uneducated in the tree/timber industry.
Thanks so much~ Georgia Peach

WH_Conley

As far as the rental property, you have my sympathy  :'( I have one rental house left, when it is gone if someone even mentions buying another one we are going to not get along very well :D.

The tree, a yard tree is going to be very hard to get rid of for the tree. According to area I would suspect anywhere from getting it removed for free, slim chance I am afraid, to paying to have it taken down, giving it to someone to save dumping fees or paying to have it removed. Sorry to be so negative, but on the bright side, when you sell that house it's like getting out of jail.
Bill

Ianab

Realistically.. the tree has a negative value  :( There might be $1000 of finished timber hiding in there, but if it cost $2000 to recover it  :(

Larger commercial mills / loggers wont want to know because its one tree, it's probably too big for their equipment and it's likely to have embedded metal. You may find a smaller operator who is able to handle the job, and do the extra work to break down the log / scan it for nails / replace the sawblades that hit the nails the scanner missed  ::) He is not going to want to pay you much for the log though.

You will probably have to pay an arborist to get the tree on the ground safely, too many safety / liability / insurance issues with dropping big urban trees. After that you may find someone willing to take it away for free.

Sorry it's not good news, but I hope you can get the tree milled rather than having to pay to dump it  ::)

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Another member just posted a thread on the logs he is recovering for free from the local dump.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=20006.0
That kinda puts the value of urban logs in perspective, although he got the logs for free he's still got a lot of work to do before he makes any $$ from them .
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Georgia Peach!  Even though the news isn't what you wanted to hear, I hope you stick around the forum with a bunch of fine and friendly folks.  Just sit down on that nail keg over there and stay awhile.

Although I live in Wisconsin now and am from Florida, my brother and I  attended Georgia Military College in Milledgeville.  Then my brother was off to University of Georgia.  My mom lived in Norcross for many years too.  I love Georgia! 8) 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

getoverit

Welcome to the forum Ga Peach!

I dont know what part of Ga you are in, but I'm pretty sure you will have a hard time finding anyone to mill that tree (because of its size) unless they own a swing mill. Loading it on a truck to haul off will be a real challenge also. You are talking about hiring a crane to take the tree down safely and also using the crane to load the logs onto a truck. This can be expensive and I wish I had better news for you.

I would be interested in the log if you are in SE Ga, but only to haul it off for you. I dont cut down trees but instead I just make lumber out of logs.

By the way: the picture of me on the left is standing next to a Hickory log from my front yard that was 40" DBH. It soulds like yours will be MUCH larger. It took a pretty good size front end loader to load and haul the 9' sections of logs.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Georgia Peach

Thanks to all for the input. YEP not xactly what I wanted to hear but was worth the cost of a question. At least now I know to just start with searching for a tree removal service that will cut it for little cost just to have the wood. Don't know how far I will get with that but it's certainly worth a try.

One last question. Provided I get the tree removed and the stump ground. Any ideas on a tree for replanting at the rocking chair front porch to make a good impression to get this albatross of a house from around my neck? Take into consideration that there are watering bans in the County (Forsyth Co., GA) and the root system of the Hickory Tree will still be in place.  Thanks again so much. ~ Just peachy in Georgia ~

Tom

Georgia Peach,
If you are looking for something to help your sale and need it quickly, consider Crape Myrtle.  It is more of a shrub than a tree, but, forms a small tree with pruning.  It makes a rather attractive multi-trunked tree and the stems are attractive and smooth.  The best thing about them is that they are a flowering plant and  will bless a porch sitter with purple, white or red blooms.

You can transplant mature trees but Crape Myrtle roots easily.   It will need to be watered during its first months but is drought tolerant once it takes hold.

Here is a good link, but, Google will show you many pictures and educate you  on some of the various cultivars.

Link to Crape Myrtle

Georgia Peach

Good Idea about that Crepe Myrtle. Got a good size off-shoot from a huge one at my primary residence. I had not considered a myrtle as I had been thinking about digging up an extra curly willow due to the willow's simple root system.  I had not jumped on the curly willow becase I was trying to come up with an idea for an evergreen.  The Myrtle would be a a good choice for its color even though its blooming season is over for the year in my location.

Since I am an avid plant & flower gardener, the loss of a large living tree has been truly heartfelt. (In the last two years I have totaly changed to a non-toxic means of pest & disease management on my property). The loss of this huge hickory has been an eye opener for me. I certainly willl do research prior to letting anyone move or add soil to an area in the future. Thanks again to the helpful folks at this forum. Since I write the Yearbook for my Garden Club each year, I can certainly invision a yearbook theme involoving some of the topics available here. (With permission of course).  Georgia Peach ~ Living Green.

Don't tell this libertarian how to high to grow her tree and she won't tell you not to cut yours down!

Raphael

Quote from: Georgia Peach on June 28, 2006, 12:05:56 AM

Don't tell this libertarian how to high to grow her tree and she won't tell you not to cut yours down!

Another libertarian.  8)
I knew there was something I liked about you.  ;D

Welcome to the forum Georgia Peach.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!