iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A good place to buy skidder chians and tires online

Started by bkellyvtme, June 22, 2006, 06:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Is there a good place? Looking for some good chains and tires. Thanks for any help.

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Gary_C

For Chains try  800-288-0887 or Bailey's does carry them. Don't know about shipping but they may have them direct shipped.

Your only hope for tires is to find a local tire dealer. Firestone makes a Forestry Special that is found on most new machines.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

badpenny

Good luck on tires, a year ago the man I was hauling for needed 2 new tires for his skidder and found 4 NOS tires, $1300 each mounted. He was told by the first 3 tire dealers that most of the new "off road and forestry" tires were going into containers for shipment to China.
   The tires he found belonged to a logger that had gone out of business and was selling off inventory of his own spare parts.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

David_c

Depends what kind of chains your looking for. All skidder chains are not created equal. I paid a bit more for mine from www.tirechainsreguired.com They are made by wallingfords. They are trough hardend not just case hardend.

Canadian chains are also supposed to be through hardend and price was a litle better when I talked to guy at NE forest expo. www.canadianchain.com 1-800-467-0479
Tires I really liked the look of the primex log stomper. Here are 2 numbers I have on sheet I got at show. Malden MA 1-800-343-3276
Syracuase NY 1-800-845-8557

Sawyerfortyish

I run the prime-X tires and they've been good for me. The local tire shop got em for. Any other way the shippings gonna kill you. But good luck with your search. As for tire chains I got mine through Lyons equipment co. They have several locations in the northeast

hondo

I had a bad experience buying tires chains on-line. I went through an outfit named Tire Chains.com. The chains were from China and the welds started breaking after 4 hours use with snow on the ground. I lost 2 days screwing around, between putting them on, taking them back off, boxing them up, and shipping them back, plus I had to pay 1/2 the shipping to get them back to get a refund.

I normally get my chains from Labonville but they didin't have any at the time I needed them. I ended up driving to Farmington, ME to Davco and would not hesitate to go back for my next set.

For tires look for a commercial tire dealer near you and call them. Get a good heavy duty set. Trying to save a few bucks in this business usually ends up costing you more down the road.
hondo

David_c

Hey Hondo the price of those chains from tire chains. com should have been your first clue. When I was looking for chains I found them on web. And shyed away becuase there price was just to good to be true.

Sawyerfortyish

You get what you pay for! Most of the time it ends up costing more in down time and labor than if you just bite the bullet and spend it up front and not have any problems.

bkellyvtme

Thanks for all the info. I got some great leads.  8)

thecfarm

Hey hondo,when you went to Davco you were about 20 minutes from my palce.When you go to pick up your next set,stop on in.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

If you want to go used, call Eddie Nash up in Colebrook N.H.
Ed K

Sawyerfortyish

I bought a unmatched set from Nash. Bought them very reasonable and I ran them a long time. I didn't care that they didn't match as long as they did the job. The chains were both new and worked good.

bkellyvtme

I have been to nash's. What a place. Good place to find parts for sure. I might hit there this weekend to look for some replacement sheetmetal.

Rob

Yeah Nash is good for somethings , but from my expierence with them I would not buy another piece of equipment there .. Roughly a 2 years ago I bought a Hydro Ax 411B from them and I went up multiple times just to get through the financing and contract signed :( and go through the machine to see what I could find wrong with it .

It was a decent machine for the price but I found the accumulator arm swith was not working and it was low on Hydro fluid and a few minor leaks , and they said they were gonna bring it in their shop and fix all those problems before transporting it down to me . This was all on a monday morning , they told me it would be done by wednesday was the next piece to go in the shop , well in the meantime I had a 2500' driveway/road to cut in on a mountain plus a house lot to clear at the top here in Southern NH which was a perfect job for the machine all small shear wood .

So after calling them and getting a run around , that friday it still was not done , well to speed things up I did not take delivery of that machine at the job till over 3 weeks later , then after I fired it up and started cutting , things were slowing down did'nt have any cutting pressure , would barely move on it's on , and everytime you hit the accumlator you would get zapped. So I shut it down and the hydraulic tank was boiling hot took off cap the tank was EMPTY !! Now I'm getting really mad , called them up and and told them all about it and got nowhere . I ended up spending $400 for a 55 galon drum of fluid to fill the machine and by then it was too late..So I called them up and told them to come and load it up and take it back and some other words I wont say here..

So for $15,000 I paid for the machine , I managed to lose $400 for fluid plus more for filters etc..And lost the contract for $4,500 to cut the job , so needless I will NEVER do business with Nash ever again.. And thats my story ..

Later Rob

bkellyvtme

I saw thier machines and I don't think I would buy any of them. Good for used parts though (ie: sheet metal, chains,ect). There are more older model skidders there than you can shake 10 sticks at.

David_c

Yup i've been there also ;) I have heard some horror stories. After going up for myself I believe them. I never recommend them for anything but parts. Definitly a place to go if you need a hard to find part.

Rob I will say though that first thing anyone should do before running a new to you piece of equipment is check fluid levels. Probably a good idea to change fluids also.

OLD_ JD

Is that Eddie Nash have web site or can some give me is add plz i will like to pay him a visite, I always up to find old junk :D
canadien forest ranger

David_c

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

David_c

Your welcome. Funny thing is you probably are closer to there even though I live in same state let alone same country :D

Rob

David ,

I expected them to have gone through the machine , since that was what I was told they were going to do before I took delivery , so it's my bad for not but still I took there word . I obviously checked motor oil level etc..just did'nt climb up to check hydro tank ..but anyways that was that over and done with now so no worries..

Later Rob

OLD_ JD

David mapquest said 178 mile but i'm sure i can do it in 150 mile by some shortcut ;D
canadien forest ranger

Rob

165 miles for me , just a little over 3 hour ride from where Im at in Southern NH to Colebrook

David_c

Rob wasn't trying to pick on you. Was just saying it is good to check no matter what anyone says they did or doing.

OLD_JD map quest says 205 just from town to town, so more like 215.

Thank You Sponsors!