iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff's and Tammy's Exportation

Started by Tom, June 22, 2006, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The Great Adventure Begins

Today is the day that the great adventure begins for these two small town aristocrats. 

Jeff's first flight was this year to Jacksonville, Florida and Tammy has never been "anywhere".  Now they are headed to the great state of Texas and beyond.  Costa Rica may never be the same again.

Standing bravely by their luggage, Jeff and Tammy prepare to pack the Forestry Forum Steed for the trip to Saginaw and the big bird that will take them to the Great State of Texas.   

You will notice how confident Jeff appears as he stands there authoritatively holding his sunglasses, as if to assure Tammy that she is in capable and experienced hands.   

The big bag wasn't as large as they thought and they had a hard time getting the chainsaws and canoe in it. 

Here is Tammy, this morning, tentatively guarding their plane tickets.  This is the Saginaw Airport and, soon, their plane will be outside of that window and Tammy will be in for the ride of her life.   Jeff already has national flying experience, so, he won't be bothered until he gets to Texas and sees the United States of America receding behind him as he ventures over the Gulf of Mexico.

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Yes, Paschale, a happy trip it will be.  Just as long as Tammy doesn't think about the internal pressures to be exerted upon that window; which is the only thing that will be between her and -60° F.

Will we find that she will be a "white knuckle" flier?   I don't think so.  Years of experience flying big yellow school buses with yammering kids disrupting her thoughts has conditioned her to be a fearless traveler.   That void of 35000 feet between the soles of her shoes and the Mississippi River shouldn't bother her a bit.

dundee

I see Jeff is wearing his "best steel capped dress boots" ideal for travel  ;D nice photo's Tom
Richard

twoodward15

They must be there already if you have the pictures.  Unless he is sending them to you on his cell phone?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

sandmar

Thanks for the pics Tom.Hourly updates would be appreciated  ;D I am sure this is a trip of a lifetime. Color me jealous  :-\

Sandmar

Tom

Ah Yes!   Pictures appear like magic around here.  :D

Tom

Update dateline Detroit

The great adventure has hit its first snag. 

Their plane from Saginaw to Detroit arrived in Detroit just as their flight to Houston was leaving.  Standing at the ticket counter now with forlorn faces, they are trying to figure out what the next step should be.   It doesn't look like there is another flight today.

Stranded in Detroit

Yes, Stranded.   Lost without a compass or baggage in Detroit.   It's not looking good for our wayfaring strangers.  It's still an adventure whether things go right or wrong, but to be stranded in Detroit is likened to be dropped into the jungles of the Amazon.  What will they do now?  Will Jeff find a way out?   Has Tammy got a change of clothes?   Can Jeff hold Tammy back from sending the Airline Pilots Association to a violent end?

Stay tuned for the next chapter in this serial.

What is it that Tammy is saying now? :D

Murf

Sounds like dey shoulda made a right turn at Saginaw insteada left, den dey'd be in Cheeecago insteada da motor city.  :D

If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

IL Bull

When is there flight out of Huston going to leave? ??? >:(
Will they be aboard?? :o
Will there be grits?? food1
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Jeff

Here we are, not where we are supposed to be.  We are in the Clarion Hotel in Detroit. STILL IN MICHIGAN!  :-\ Our flight into Detroit was delayed so our flight to houston left without us.  After being sent 3 differnt times to 2 different concourses with Northwest blaming Continental and Continental blaqming Northwest we finally got a Conteninal manager to take care of us so new plan: 4:00 am wake up call, 4:30 shuttle back to airport, Detroit  at 7:09 am then arriving in Atlanta at 9:12 am then departing to Costa Rica at 10:48 arriving in Costa Rica at 12:45 pm.

Northwestern finally gave us a voucher for a hotel and supper.  So, as soon as I post the picture Tammy took of me typing on these itty bity keys we're going to go eat.  No one know where our luggage is yet, we are hoping it will be waiting for us in Costa Rica.  Fred If your out there I am trying to call you.  Spirits are still high even though I had to pull Tammy off of this snooty continental agent.  ;) 

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

Well make the best of a free evening sponsered by the airlines. Enjoy the evening like you would a honeymoon. Just the two of you alone in a hotel room.....well you get the idea!  ;D

Enjoy! 8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Kevin_H.

Well you know what they say, some times it's not the destination but the trip...Well maybe not in this case...

I can see already this is going to be a way cool thread...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Wildflower

The first plane was way cool I liked looking out the window and seeing all the little yellow school bus sitting idle.  Ane the land was way cool also.  Not ready happy about the missed flight but the airline was really nice other then the one attendent at the Continental counter.  But I guess every place has to have at least one.  :D

More to follow......  8) 
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

ronwood

Well Patty where is your mind at?  In the gutter!!!!!!!!! Tammy and Jeff hope all goes well so that you can make it down there tomorrow.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

Tom

Jeff,
Ah yes! It's the close of chapter I as Jeff drags Tammy from the Airport by the hair on the back of her head, as she is screaming "let me at'em!  let me at'em!"

There are Marines on the way in case they are needed in the morning.

Jeff

I think we may look like contras. :D At least we have wireless internet here. I have to say many thanks again to Tn_Logger, because he is directly responsible for our ability to use this laptop on the trip. Thanks again Gene!

Tom

Hold her back, Jeff!

The Marines aren't there yet and I'd hate to have them deal with all the carnage. :D

I sure like those hats.  ;D

beenthere

I am glad to hear you are in a hotel and not having to find comfort overnight on the airport seats or the floor (beenthere, and done that too many times). Once in Cincinatti, we were issued hotel rooms after waiting 4 hours, and it turned out to be a 2 hour bus ride, to a hotel at 11:30 pm that was under major re-construction, and hotel beds not made up with any sheets or pillow cases  :( and no restaurant and had to be up and on the bus at 5 am.  You enjoy that stay and add more tales to this great adventure.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

:)  your welcome Jeff glad your finding a use for it  ;D
gene

Tom

What was the excuse for the missed flight?

Jeff

As far as I am concerned it was stupid. Our pilot said that detroit told him to slow up because it was so busy. Then when we get there and taxi up, we are stopped and the pilot says we have to wait until they find a spot for us as the gates were all full. We sat there a while then finally started to move. After they let us get off Tammy and I went straight to where we needed to be using the shuttle. Whe we got there the gate door was closed but an attendant was there. She said the plane was loaded. I told her (out of breath) that we were to be on it. She called out to the plane and they said the doors were shut, they were leaving. This was now continental. From there they started playing pinball with us.

Tom

These are the same companies that are complaining of lost revenue and Pilots and crew who are supposed to be, according to their Union, so customer oriented. 

The TV has been full of reports that the airlines are taking flights off of the line and there will be a lot of people missing flights.  I heard one fellow say that the suggested 2 hour lead time should be extended to 3 hours.  If they keep that up people will have to get there a day ahead of time with a sleeping bag and camp stove.

Not that it would accomplish anything, but, I think both airlines should receive letters of dissatisfaction.  Perhaps NorthWestern had no choice but somebody should have made sure that the connecting flights connected. 

They did that to Gael and me when we went to Pa.  one year.  We spent a day and a night on the floor in Atlanta because the Flight attendants were having a "work slow down".   That's comparable to a strike, accept they were lieing to everybody and saying that the incoming connecting flight was having maintenance problems.   It was a bunch of bull and it ruined Christmas for a hundreds of us.

It has caused me to have no sympathy for commercial pilots and their crew.

Jeff

What really sucks is that plane left without a whole bunch of people and a bunch of empty seats. Not just us.

Thank You Sponsors!