iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a birthday present to you?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, June 21, 2006, 02:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Bought my one and only nephew a cheap boombox for his 14th birthday yesterday as its about all I could swing right now and I didnt even enjoy watching him open it up. Woke up today and went and looked at my board pile and spent 9 hours making a dog house for his big black lab named Ralph .  Ralph has been living outside under a old upside shower stall with some straw on the ground for the past 9 years . 

I feel good now and will haul it over to their place tomorrow with the loader bucket .  It's made from basswood,cottonwood,spruce and whatever else , leftover shingles from "the shack"  ;D

It costed nothing to make and Ralph will be the talk of the town
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

charles can pick away at my quick shingling job  :D  Still have to put the battens on before I haul it out .  It should really make my nephew want to take me golfing soon  ;D

iain

Way to with that house  8)

For me the ONLY birthday prezzie's that are acceptable, are book token's,
its take a few years to train eveybody in that direction but i'm just about there

iain

KiwiCharlie

Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

moosehunter

Nice dog house UB.
Ifn he gets in trouble it will get a little tight in there when he has to share it with the dog :D
mike
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Patty

Buck, your nephew is one lucky buckeroo! You are a good uncle. Homemade gifts are the best kind, anyone can drop $$ on a gift, but not many take the time to make a special gift from their heart.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

UB

Nice job.  Gotta admit though, that Jeff B builds 'em a little bigger ('spect just in case he ends up there), but you won't have to worry, seeins you are sending this one as a gift. 
Then again, you've proved you can build 'em up to real size too.  :D   Corely5 says they's alright too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Coon

It's the thought that counts.  I'm sure he'll love anything that you give him.  Making a dog house like that for a gift should open his eyes. :o :o :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Mooseherder

Ya got a good soul UncleBuck.
I'm sure he is proud to be your nephew.

UNCLEBUCK

I loaded up ,tossed a chain around the house and headed down the road wide open and no more than got to my destination and set the new doghouse down and tossed my chain in the back bucket and I hollered for Big Ralph and he was allready inside his new home .  Nephew going to take me golfing now but I also heard that one cant rent a golf cart unless your 16 years old but either way I will get to go blasting around a golf course in a golf cart .  I suppose I better find my old hawaiin shirts so I dont look like paul bunyan . Thanks all , you should hear that DanG boombox , it dont look to bad today . Yesterday I couldnt stand it  bat_smailey

CHARLIE

UncleBuck, you just have to have a heart of gold.  I'm sure Ralph is gonna appreciate that house more than anyone.......'specially if he's had to live in an old shower stall.  I figure come winter, Ralph is REALLY gonna 'preciate it.  Good job! 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks Charlie, its funny how a dog will live under a pile of junk with straw and never complain one bit ,but today I think ol' Ralph knew it was the day he had hoped for .  I forgot the camera in the woodshop and couldnt turn back .   

Norm

Nice dog house and what a lucky nephew (old Ralph is pretty lucky too).  :)

asy

Wowwee, Bet ol' Ralph thought it was HIS birthday!!!

I bet they were both thrilled.

I love pressies that have been made. So much nicer than bought ones. Although I did love the pressie I got last Christmas. I found it on ebay and asked nicely, it's a set of Russian Literature Classics. I'm just starting Crime and Punishment. :D

The best present I ever got was a vase painted by my kids, I love it. It's sitting on my kitchen table with a pink rose in it that my daughter brought home from school today.

A VERY close second (oookay, probably equal first) was the ring I wear. Andrew gave it to me two years ago, it belonged to his Mum. She heard that I was getting a ring for my birthday, and we couldn't find one I like inside Andrew's $40 present budget  ::) so she went to her drawer and pulled out a roughly 1ct aquamarine surrounded by 30 diamonds and handed it to him and said, there, she'll love that! And I do!!! Aquamarine is one of my favourite stones (second only to Marquisite) and I love it. Unfortunatley it's really REALLY old (She got it in an antique shop 30 years ago) and it's starting to break (not good to wear every day) so very soon it's going to have to go into the cupboard :( Only to be worn on speshul occasions.

So...  To answer your question, I love things that MEAN something to the giver. I bet the doghouse means more to your nephew than he can express at his age.

asy :D

PS: Need photos, I have a weakness for guys in hawaiian shirts. :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!