iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too much fun!

Started by Furby, June 20, 2006, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Well I aquired a new kayak on Saturday, just another small one to match the one I have, but now someone can go with me when I go out.
Had a party at my house Saturday evening. Combination pool party, birthday party for some family members and father's day party.
Things were getting boring in the pool, so out came the new kayak. ;D
Nothing I haven't done before, but well it was so much fun we didn't know when to stop.

Noticed the water level Saturday night after everyone left as I usually need to refill the pool because so much is lost.
Forgot to fill it on Sunday and when I went out Monday morning, it was really low. Filled it up and checked the level last night, this morning before I left for work, and again this evening. Yup, going down....... rather fast. :-\
Got in and started looking around.
Not one, not two, but THREE holes in the liner from when we were "sinking" the kayak........... we had TOO much fun! :'(

Anyways, anyone have any recomendations for patching the liner? Any experience with anything that actually works and holds up?
Been looking for a reason for getting rid of the pool and this may just be it. ::)

isawlogs

They have wet patches at the pool shop . The ones I got actually worked , I was not really expecting them to work for long , beeing put in with the water in the pool and all . I had the pool for three years afterthat and the patche was still there.  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Two of these are sort of V shaped and the size of a quarter.
The third is a wrinkled tear about 2" long.
How big was your leak?

isawlogs

It was three inch half moon shape   (    ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

THose might be patchable furby, dont hurt to try. You can get a wet patch kit from any pool place.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

Sounds like you fun was a lil much on da equipment.  Couldn'ta been dem wobbly pops that was behind it all could it?????? :o :D :D

I helped fix a comercial pool liner which is made of the same material.  Put the patch on while the water was in it too.  The first patch didn't last a week as some kids pulled it off somehow.  We fixed em the second time though.  We didn't put just one patch we put two.  One was from the inside and we had to drain the pool to below the tear the crawl in through the crawl space that all the water lines were ran through, and remove a few screws and a plastic flange to get in between the liner and the sand base.  I got suckered into doing the inside one due to being the smallest one there. :o  It was an experience to say the least.  Had to be careful not to cause any more tears along with not to move any sand or the liner would have to come out.  Two years later they ended up putting a bigger pool in and the patches were still holding.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jeff

We are probably well past the expected life of a liner, but we dont do extreme sports in on or around our pool either.  The neighbors have put 3 liners in thiers and we put our pools up the same year.  The one year thier duaghters had a pool party while they were gone. The boy friends decided that the vacuum pole would make a good vaulting pole. They would run to the edge of the deck, plant the pole and try to stand up straight and slide down into the water. A couple days later I see the neighbor leaning on his pool rail looking rather glum.  I walked over and saw the pool only had abour 3 or 5 inces of water and he was tring to figure out how all the perfectly round holes got punched in the bottom of it...

UNCLEBUCK

A wet patch ?  Oh for the things I learn on here is just amazing . Very cool indeed  8) 

Get your holes patched Furby and what kind of kayak did ya get? Does it have a rudder or is it for whitewater? pic pic pic  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Furby

No UB, it's just a pond/lake kayak.
Really want a nice big one with rudder, but the $ aren't there. Someday though.

Jeff isn't kidding on not allowing any extreme sports in his pool.
Ya all shoulda seen him when we tried to throw that big log in the pool last year for the log rolling contest.  :D ::)

Furby

Got a patch kit.
Been thinking about what I can inject through the holes to fill the space under them so the patch don't get stressed when it gets stepped on.
Any ideas?
Got some silicone calk here that I was thinking about using.

iain

How big are thw holes?

i'm thinking about expanding foam and a flat board on top, might form a good flat firm support for pressing down with the patch

iain

Furby

That was my back up thought, but I didn't want to open a $6 can for that little bit, the silicone is already open. ::)
Yup, I'm cheap! ;D

iain

Furby

The pool isn't worth much to me and the patch kit just cost $7.31, so another $6 or so is pushing things.
Easier to just have Norm take a round at it for me. ;D

iain

Ok are you stalking me around this board?

couse if you are you need to find some one else as its bed time here (01:12)

iain

Furby

iain

You are arnt you your stalking me ;)

iain

isawlogs

Furby ,
  When I patched mine , it was the same thing , a pool or no pool did not matter any  to me . I got the patch kit , jumped in , stumped the bottom with my feet so that it seamed to be an even  ;D And put the patche on , to tell the truth I was sortof hoping the DanG thing would not hold and we would be able to take said pool outa dere ...  ;)  But it held on there for three years until I gave said pool away and then it was up for another three years before they changed the lining .
  So I would sugest to jump in stump it some , put patche on , have a bleue  ;D ( cold one )  :D :D

Marcel

Furby

Who me ???
Would I do that ???

You have issues don't you Iain? :D

Gonna have to pass on the cold one, but the rest sounds like a plan Marcel! 8)
Question: Rough side of patch up or down?

isawlogs

smiley_headscratch  Its been fifteen years since I put that in , I have trouble remembering what I did last week .  smiley_huh2

Ya know the odds are good , fifty %  ;D

Marcel

Jeff

Ours peeled off of a backing and were clear. I fifgured the side that was next to the backing went down first.

Furby

Mine ya gotta add the dope to it, but it is clear!
I've got three holes......
1st one I'll do rough side up.
2nd one I'll do smooth side up.
3rd one I either gotta flip a coin or make another hole. ::)
Guess I may need Norm after all! ;D

Corley5

If it's anything like patching an inner tube you always rough up the surface of the tube before applying the patch.  The kits came with a stick with abrasive just for the job.  I saw Grandpa W use a wood rasp  8)  I would say put the rough side down.  I haven't patched a tube in years.  So much easier to run a tire to town and get it fixed ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!