iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International travel

Started by Jeff, June 18, 2006, 10:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does someone have any tips for us on this?  First I have a question or two as well.

When we go to Costa Rica Thursday we have to connecting flights. MBS in Saginaw Michigan, to Detroit, to Dallas and then on to Costa Rica. 

Will we have to find our luggage in Dallas to recheck for the international flight? Or once its checked at MBS, is it supposed to just follow us?

Is a laptop considered a carry on if its in a case, or is it a "free item"?  I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

RavioliKid

Jeff,

These are good questions.

In my experience, your luggage should be checked through all the way to Costa Rica when you begin your trip.

You should check with your airline about the laptop. I don't travel with a computer, but it looks to me as if business travelers have a laptop as well as a carry-on bag.

One bit of advice: take as little with you as possible. Sure, if you are going to need something, take it. But, as I get ready for my Big Trip, I am doing my best to keep my bags light. You will probably buy things while you are there, so be sure not to overload your bag as you start out - or take an extra bag in your suitcase.

Here is a connection to what one seasoned traveler takes with him:
http://ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlist_text.htm

We are sure going to have some swell times this summer, aren't we?!

You and Tammy have a great time!
RavioliKid

Jeff

Another question. Is there any reason to travel with I.D. we take for granted here at home? Our SS cards for instance since we will have passports and birth certificates. Drivers license if we have no plans on car rentals?  Seems like leaving keys and wallets home makes you not have to worry about them.

Ron Scott

Laptops are usually in addition to your carry-on, but best to check for sure with your airline.

Here is what Northwest says:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/carryon.html
~Ron

scsmith42

Jeff,  Ditto RavioliKid's comments on packing light. Here are a few more comments off the top of my head:

1 - take any necessary items (such as medicine, etc) with you in your carry-on.  That way if your luggage gets waylaid you won't be at risk.

Leave the social security card at home - with identity theft you do not want this where it can be copied.

In addition to the originals (very important), take spare sets of both passport and drivers license id (photo copies are ok) in case you are asked to leave your passport somewhere (some hotels require you to leave your id when you check in).  Leave the copy instead.

A laptop bag is usually allowed in addition to the regulation number of carry-on's.

See if you will need any adaptors to power your laptop, hair dryer, shaver, etc., as not all countries use the US standard.  If so, it's usually cheaper (and easier) to buy them before you leave home.

Get some foreigh currency at your bank before you leave.  Typically you will pay a lower exchange rate than you will at the airport.  HOWEVER, you will almost always get the best exchange rate if you use a credit card for most purchases, rather than paying cash.  Use your cash for tips, etc.

It's a good idea to take a GSM cell phone with you (if the country that you're visiting uses GSM).  Take the phone numbers for the local American Embassy with you.

Take a English - ? dictionary with you that is appropriate for the local language.

Take a larger bag than needed so you will have room to bring goodies back.  Even better, plan on shipping them back via UPS so that you don't have to hump them around.  Most airlines charge extra if your bags are over weight - UPS may be a better deal.

Good idea on leaving the keys at home.  Have someone drop you off at the airport so that you don't have to pay a lot of parking costs.

Take spare batteries, etc with you for your camera.

Have fun!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

RichlandSawyer

Jeff you guys are gonna have great adventure!!!

Lots of great advice, i would like to stress the comment of carrying on vital "stuff" like meds. Also it sounds kinda silly but have someone at home prepared to ship you more clothes or other items UPS, FedEx etc. If your luggage gets lost its entirely possible you will be back home before the airline locates it and gets it to you especialy since you are traveling out of the country. The shipping guys are more reliable then the airlines. Chances are you will have no problems at all.
Take plenty of cards for the digital camera and have a great and safe trip.

Tony and Dee
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

RichlandSawyer

Oh bye the way you must be pretty stressed/excited about this trip when you have to move your own post to the proper location. :D :D :D
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Jeff

Tammy and I figured maybe we oughta split our clothes up in the luggage, just in case something was lost, we wouldnt lose everything.  

Actually, it sound like getting things to and from costa rica by mail is not something that happens very fast.  Tammy and I have a couple things we are taking to deliver for that reason.

Jeff

Quote from: RichlandSawyer on June 19, 2006, 12:23:40 AM
Oh bye the way you must be pretty stressed/excited about this trip when you have to move your own post to the proper location. :D :D :D

I didnt want to get hollered at. ;D  I posted it, then looked back and thought ya know, if someone else would have posted that in the general board I woulda moved it. So I moved it. :)

JimBuis

Take your drivers' licenses with you.  You may get hung up at one of the intervening airports due to weather or aircraft mechanical problems.  If you want to use  a rental car, you'll want the license.

Medications.  Carry some Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol, or other favorite product for dealing with gastro-intestinal distress.  If you ever experience such episodes, this trip will encourage such an event.  Better safe than sorry. :o :o :-\  Yes, I know from experience. ;D

Take along a good book for entertainment during those long lay-overs.  You may think that none of your lay-overs are that long. ;)  Trust me.  That 45 minute lay-over can easily become 4 or 5 hours.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

dundee

Jeff, I travel extensivley overseas, really never had any problems with baggage from check in to final destination, my laptop travels with me as carry on baggage, but it is always goes through the x-ray thingy
Enjoy your trip

Richard

ellmoe

Jeff,

My comments on traveling outside the US: One thing I always do is pack a carry on with everything I must have, medicine, etc. and one change of clothes. If  checked baggage is lost it will usually make it to the destination in a day or two. With an overnight bag I'm "cool" for a couple of days. Splitting your items (ie no "his and her" bags) is a good idea. Taking a copy of your passport will help in replacing the originals if yours is lost or stolen.  Split your cash up, maybe use a money belt, and only take a couple of credit cards, MC and visa, one of each is good. I only carry a little money in my wallet, including the local currency. You will need to pull out your wallet often. Pick pockets will notice its location and maybe how much dinero you have there. :D I always plan that I might "lose" everything I carry, so I take only what I need and copy all credit card numbers, etc. down in a safe place in case it is necessary to report them lost or stolen.

I don't know about CR, but in Eastern Europe credit card numbers are often stolen at restaurants, etc., and sometimes a remote ATM machines (along with pin numbers). Try to use your cards only in major establishments (banks) and use cash elsewhere. When I was in Ukraine with a buddy he used a cc to pay for a meal. Several months later his card number was used in Russia to buy several thousand of dollars worth of items. He did not have to pay, but was very inconvienced.

Have a great time, tell Harold hello for me. He told me that you were coming down to "test" out his facilities and that if all went well then I could come. :)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Bro. Noble

About the only time we have been out of the US of A is when we went to the UP.  Wife packed about everything we owned.  I was afraid she didn't pack enough ammo,  but we made it allright ::)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D :D Bro, you really need to get out more.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thurlow

Has anyone ever gone to C R and failed to return?  Could it happen again?  Would this be a third and fourth time for the brother/sisterhood?
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

RavioliKid

Jeff,
Here's some more thoughts on what I take in my carry-on bag:

medications
toothbrush, toothpaste
brush, comb (hairstraightening device)
change of underwear
spare glasses
camera
jacket or sweater
spare shirt
change of socks

essentially, I try to take along in the cabin of the plane enough stuff to make it through a day in some sembalance of comfort and hygiene.

You don't need your social security card. Your passport will serve as the only ID you need to pass through borders. Don't take your birth certificate if you have a passport. I assume that you need one to go to CR.

I would take my license, just in case a second photo ID is needed.

I plan to photocopy all documents, including credit cards and such, and take a copy in my suitcase. I will also leave a copy of all pertinent info with my father, along with a copy of my planned intinerary and any contact info I have for people I'll see along the way.

You must be getting really excited! Have fun!

RavioliKid

Brucer

Splitting your clothing and other essentials between your bags is a good idea. A long time back, when our daughter was 3 months old, we flew across the country so she could "meet" her eastern relatives. Barb & I thought we were pretty smart to split the diapers and related stuff between all four of our checked suitcases. Guess what? Fortunately, all four bags showed up on the flight following ours -- we only had to wait 3 hours at the airport :(. So carrying at least a change of clothing in your checked bags is also a good idea.

On another subject, double-check what you are allowed to carry on the plane. On a business trip to Mexico (pre-9/11), I once made it through 2 US airport security checks with my tiny pocket knife -- just showed it to the security people and got waved through. Tried the same thing in Mexico and wasn't allowed to board with it. It needed to go into my checked luggage (which was already checked -- duh). Far as I know, that knife is still stranded in Mexico.

With so many more restrictions on what you can carry on these days, you can easily carry some innocuous item through one airport's security check, only to find it forbidden at another (knitting needles, for example, or fingernail clippers).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bro. Noble

That reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me one time.  One of the most common 'favors' given at agricultural meetings (besides caps) is pocketknives.

We belong to the largest milk co-op there is and for a few years, I was chairman of the local cistricts board.  OUr annual meeting one year was in Omaha and thousands of delegates and board members etc. from all over the country attended.  We were given a whole sack full of stuff from different feed companies etc. just before we left.  When the meeting was over,  most of the multitude headed right for the airport (with their new pocket knives).  After quite a bit of confusion and excitement,  those of us on charter flights were waved on through with our weapons intact.  I don't know how those fared that were on commercial flights :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bill

Don't get out of the country too often but do remember a couple more gotcha's for foreign travel.

Drugs - prescription and otherwise - what's allowed here can be illegal there or unobtainable there so it's worth a call to check.

I also believe in the throw away wallet. Let the bad guys see the wallet with singles, some dumb photos and such while my valuables ( also passport if possible )  are in one of the undergarment/money belt type things. Any important doc's go in a front pocket if necessary.

I've also been told to have photocopies of travel/plane tickets/identification ( two govt photo id's )/credit card info ( sealed in an envelope in your luggage and dupe's with family or friend back home ) which are supposed to be a big help if you need to retreat to the Amer Embassy should a catastrophe occur.

Many years back for overseas travel you weren't supposed to check aerosol cans in your luggage - the planes didn't have pressurized cargo compartments - but this has mostly changed with "major" carriers/planes .

Sounds like a great adventure - hope you have fun

Gary_C

One thing not mentioned is the water. DO NOT drink any local water even if the locals say it's OK. The locals will be used to the minerals and even bacteria in that water and you will not.

Bottled water only.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

crtreedude

Having this discussion without me? See - I get busy and then there is something I can comment on.

Yes - once you get out of San Jose - drinking the water is fine - just expect to adjust once you get back. My wife Amy is very sensitive to water changes - never had a problem here.

Harold went back to Florida - and immediately had problems.  Almost no one has water issues here.

Careful what you try to carry on the planes - they are very picky. I tend to lose stuff this way (confiscated).

The water on finca #1 and #2 is really, really good - spring water.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Tom

Fred,

Don't buy him a hotdog from the corner filling station.  He's allergic to them.  ;D

crtreedude

Jeff and Tammy have it easy - the first time I came down, I arrived at 2:00 am in the morning WITHOUT AMY - or anyone who spoke Spanish, with only a postcard she made for me to give to the taxi driver.

Then, I had to knock on a door at 3:00 am - in a strange place, in a foreign country, not knowing even "cafe con leche por favor"

Costa Rica is used to bewildered people - they get a lot of them.  ::)

Jeff

"cafe con leche por favor"

Huh? ;)

crtreedude

That is what is called survival Spanish for me...

Thank You Sponsors!