iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter

Started by Norm, December 15, 2002, 05:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

There's been some talk around our place that Santa may be looking for a splitter to put under our tree. Does anyone have suggestions for what make and model is a good one. I'm thinking one with it's own power source and not a pto driven one would work out best, any thoughts?

ElectricAl

Norm,

Do you have a skid loader.

One of our customers built this spliter for his Bobcat.

We have gathered up all the parts needed to build one for our JD, but we have been to busy to weld it up.

Just a thought.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Fla._Deadheader

Hi Norm. These things are SO easy to build, ya oughta try it yerself. The only welding you need, and it AIN'T necessary, is for the wedge. The first thing I ever welded up was a splitter, back in the 60's. Lickety Splitter made the first ones that I know of. You should be able to make one for under $1000.00 if you buy everything new !! A 5 Hp engine, a 4" X 24" cylinder a 2 way valve and a pump and reservoir are what is needed and a couple hoses and "I or H " beam and a wedge. I used a pump from an old street sweeper and a tank I cobbled together from 2 vacuum brake booster tanks. (pickin's were slim back then). Shouldn't take more than 2 days to put it together.

My first one would split White Oak Bolts for the Stave Mill for Whiskey barrels,that were 39" long !!!
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Scott

It depends some on the use you are going to make of it. Just for home use or for commercial firewood use. As Deadheader said they are easy to build.

I've used several from home use models to heavy duty commercial models. I usually borrowed or rented one when I needed to split a pile of firewood.

This fall I was at a "demo days" at the new Tractor Supply Company here. I've seen a lot of wood splitters, but their Husky Verticle/Horizontal Log Splitter seemed to be a good one for the money. I bought their 22 Ton Model (they have a 35 Ton Model also) as a new toy for myself. It works well for my use.

If you are going to do a lot of road traveling with it, you might want to be sure that it has a good trailering feature or move it in a seperate trailer.

I did see a good commercial firewooder loose his on the highway though. It came loose, rolled over, and bounced in the ditch. He retreived it, hooked it back up, and was back out on one of my timber sales making firewood behind the logging operation with no damages for the excitement.

~Ron

Norm

Thanks for the replies, I'm just going to use it for around the farm, we just split for our own use.  I would like to have one like Al showed but when I mentioned that I needed a skidder to split wood with my wife was a bit skeptical :D, something about I don't need that expensive of a splitter. I wouldn't mind trying to fab one up but would probably not get done. My welding skills leave alot to be desired. Ron I think the ones we looked at are the same you spoke of, these had a B&S engine on them. I wasn't sure if the 22T would be big enough. Thanks for the advice.

Weekend_Sawyer

I learned how to weld by making my first splitter, 12 hp BS engine and a 30" stroke piston. I took the hydraulics off of an old Oliver bulldozer, seems like everytime I started it up it wanted to dig a hole! A frend of mine still has it and says it is working fine.

My Brother just bought the 35 ton from Tractor Supply and it works great, cost about $1,400. It has an 11 hp engine.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DonT

I usually split about 40 cord a year.A couple of years ago I heard about a guy selling alot of his stuff as he was getting divorced and needed cash.Long story short I bought his wood splitter for $800.It is called a super-split,it does not use hydraulics but rather two offset flywheels that drive the ram.I was not impressed when I first saw it but after using it I really like it.It has a 5hp b/s vangaurd motor and after a number of years use very little maintanence.I find the cycle time extremely fast,I have trouble keeping up.The manual says it strikes the would with 32,000lbs of force.I would recomend one to anyone splitting a small quantity of wood such as I do.   Merry Christmas    DonT

beenthere

DonT
I found the splitter that you mentioned at this site
http://www.ripsaw.com/gfx.html
and thought it looked like a good idea for a splitter. A bit more expensive than a unit (hydraulic) like I have, but the low maintenance features and high speed are impressive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

You need to also think about the cycle time.  I built one about 10 years ago to run off the hydraulics on a big JD tractor with about a 20 gpm pump.  I used a 5" cylinder and it would split about anything and keep two men busy.  Sold the JD when I quit farming and put the splitter on my little Ford tractor with a 7 gpm pump.  It will still split about anything but now I can take a nap while it cycles.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

I have been splitting over 40 rick of hardwood for more years than I care to remember.  Up until this season I split everything by hand.  This season I had some extra cash due to a harvest so I splurged and bought a spltter.  Boy I wish I had done this years ago.  I opted for a hydraulic splitter with its own power source.  I thought about a pto driven unit but many, including memebers of this forum, pointed out that I may want to use the loader on the tractor to move some rounds or logs about.  With the separate power source I am able to park the splitter on level ground and use the tractor to push logs close to it where I buck them.  It really has cut down on the handling time.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Same here, helps keep me in shape during the winter but some of the bigger ones don't get used because of the work using the wedge.

Which model did you decide on OneWithWood?

I checked out the one you mentioned Don T, very nice unit.

Saki

I have a lesser knowledge and involvement with splitters than a lot of the other guys who posted above. I always did help cut and split the wood that our family used to heat our home and shop, but no commercial production. I think that the units with their own small engine are best for a couple reasons both dealing with economy.

A small briggs or similar engine will probably be more fuel efficient than operating even a small tractor for the same amount of time.

Overhauling ( or even replacing ) a small engine is going to be a lot cheaper in the long run than overhauling a tractor engine sooner because of all the extra run time put on it by splitting wood.

That said, there are a lot of other options available out there, and if you only intend to use it a couple times a year ( or could plan it that way ) say to split a bunch of firewood at once you may want to consider renting one for a weekend. That way you don't have any of the maintenance headaches of your own. Lots of ways to skin a cat. Generally speaking where there is a will, there is a way. Make the choice that is best for your own situation. Best of Luck.

OneWithWood

I purchased a Troy Built model LT200.  It was on sale at Lowe's.  Being on sale and a 5.5 hp Honda engine sold me.  I have put it through it's paces and it has not missed a lick.
One With Wood

johnjbc

When I bought my place the old barn on it had a hydraulic barn cleaner. Bought a set of quick connect fitting and use the power unit  to run my 3 point hitch splitter. The electric motor starts every time no matter how cold and if I want to split heavy pieces out in the woods I just connect it to the tractor and drive it out there.  It also nice not to have a noisy engine running next to you. ::)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

OneWithWood

Good point about the noise.  I wear a pair of head phones with a built in FM reciever to negate the engine noise.  Job seems to go quicker with tunes 8)
One With Wood

Jeff

The last splitter I wa in on running was a homemade rig that worked real well. What made this splitter different was that the cylinder was beneath the spitting bed and attached to a push plate above that ran in a track, or slot. There were cross wedges at BOTH ends of the splitter. You could split either way and did not have to wait for the cylinder to cycle back, cause you also split on the cycle back.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Lenny

I built A splitter About 8 years ago. Working height was a important factor for me. A lot of splitters I`ve used were too low and u`re always bent over when splitting.I mad mine for 24'' stove block with a rail height even with my belt.I find this to be easer on my back.
 Someday I`ll build another one for large wood like 4'. This one will be close to the ground.

beenthere

Jeff
Are you referring to the Split-fire splitter?  The site I found them on was
http://www.pooltrading.com/forest_equipment.htm

They apparently can come as 3pt or stand-alone splitters.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DonT

Onewithwood, I do not think you can go wrong with anything Troy-Bilt.I researched there garden tillers a few years ago when I was in the market for one.They built a nice product then.I opted for a Husqvarna tiller as the dealer was very close and has always treated me well with other stuff.Don't put your axe away yet though,I have always found splitting small stuff easier with an axe and just as quick.Also splitting by hand can be enjoyable and relaxing.   DonT

Jeff

Yes, something like that, only it was home built and heavier. Same principal.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

I actually enjoy hand splitting firewood, after doing it for so many years you kind of get a system for it and yes the smaller ones are quicker and easier than a splitter. Lots of good advice here and I appreciate it.

BTW, I bought a Troybuilt tiller about 5 years ago and hate it, I know some may like them but I had an old Sears one that had counter-rotating tines on it, the Troybuilt didn't. Works great if the soil is already worked up but bucks and jumps if not. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of it. Now I work up the garden with a ripper and then till it. Looks funny to see the ripper in the garden but really gets the soil tilled deep.

OneWithWood

I kept my splitting maul and I will use it on occasion.  There are times when I enjoy splitting by hand.  I have done some of my best thinking while splitting firewood.  However, when I need to split a lot of knarled wood in a hurry I really appreciate the splitter.  My splitter operates in both the vertical and horizontal mode.  Most of the stuff I am splitting currently is to big to lift up to the rail all day so I use it predominately in the vertical position.  Sometimes the round is just to DanG big to maneuver and the maul and wedges get put to use.  Right now I am cutting up the end cuts.  When I get to the tops I will most likely use the maul more than the splitter.
One With Wood

Don P

I'm liking this discussion, sounds like the ideal for me would be a electric over hydraulic push me pull you...I've always used the MM brand splitter...Monster Maul ;D. Works good but the DanG thing seems to fit my hands worse every year. Little engines drive me nuts, they say turn me off, turn me off. Ran off a genset for a couple of years and have built off plenty, guess I got no patience for that tone anymore. I put in a Monitor heater a couple of days ago and haven't lit the stove since, working on the chimney.

Dad is finally giving up gardening and told me to come pick up the old Troybilt whenever I want to. I rent a 5' tractor powered rotovator every spring for $75 for a day and as far as I'm concerned its a bargain compared to walking around crippled up for 2 days after being beat to death by a little tiller.

Frank_Pender

I began cutting firewood to suplement my teaching income about 33 years ago.  Like most of us it all began with a saw, maul and wedges and a 3/4 to pick-up.  After about 5 years of that great exercise, I was offered a gift from some of my students that were nearing high school graduation.   They showed up at my cutting site one weekend and offered to build me a splitter for my 3 point Fergeson 30 (1951) .  they said this is for all you have done for us and it is now out turn for you.   I simply stood there with tears running down my face.  I used a different system that the tractor pump.  I had the PTO attatched to a separate pump system, operating a 24" x 4' cyclinder.   the full travel time was 5 seconds.  Plenty fast for one person.  I later designed one that had 3 splitters.  One rand horizontal into a 4 way star.  the second ran vertical and you placed to wood on a lazy-susan that is 24" in diameter.  ( It will split a 5' lilly pad of Spruce or Hemlock like it was butter)  The third unit is a quick disconnect unit that makes kindling.   It woks like a cabbage slicer with a box on the top.  All of these units are up and back in less that 5 seconds.  And, they are powered with a single engine, a 20hp. Wisconsin  powered with propane.  I can get about 5+ cords per 7 gal. tank.  Ye, I will learn to send pictures some day.  Be patient with me, one and all.
Frank Pender

DonT

When I am out cutting I try and split as much in the bush as i can.I never enjoyed using one of those splitting mauls i have an axe with about a 3 1/2 lb head and i just love it.Even when splitting with my wood splitter the wedge and sledge are not to far away.   DonT

Thank You Sponsors!