iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Icebox-- problems

Started by pigman, June 16, 2006, 05:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

The wife talked me into getting her a new icebox. The old one was working perfect but was getting a little rusty in spots. :(  I took the old one to the dump and lucky me, there was someone there disposing of a perfect good icebox 8). There was no rust on the thing and the guy said it was working perfect and he was getting rid of it only because his wife wanted a different color. ::)  I brought the thing home, put it in the place where we kept the old icebox and filled the top with two blocks of ice. Then the problems started. :o  The ice melted and water leaked out of the bottom of the door. I don't see how this thing could of ever worked, there is no drain hole in the bottom to let the water drain out. Good thing the porch has cracks in it.
Since I don't have any instructions for this modern icebox, I am not sure I am putting the ice in the right place. smiley_headscratch

Bob the hillbilly
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WH_Conley

Gee, last count the still went on top, but with all this modern stuff, ya never know. ???
( Mighta been a manufacture error, no drain holes, ask Norm he might be able to make some for ya)
Bill

gary

try putting it in the shade and useing more ice

Mooseherder

It works better when you lay it on its back. 8)

SAW MILLER

Bob,
Iv'e seen a lot of the newer ones like that and they all had the ice in top.So,I'msure you put the ice in the right location,must be a bad ice box.
 When the ice man comes around again you better stock up.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Patty

Guys, the ice goes around the beer keg....forget the ice box!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Bill is right they forgot to put some holes in it to drain properly. Stand it next to your silo and I'll be right over. :D

Kevin_H.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

That's just like the one we used to raise crawlers in. Man, dont put holes in it the crawlers 'll crawl out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Pigman, how about moving that thing to the lfet so we can get a look at the washin machine eh?

sawguy21

Plug the little black thingy into the spot in the wall and you can use it to make ice ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

joelmar10

I thought the black cord thingy was fer openin them drain holes.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

tlooney

I like Patty's idea you put the ice around the keg. ;D
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

pigman

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 16, 2006, 09:19:27 PM
Plug the little black thingy into the spot in the wall and you can use it to make ice ;D
I tied that black thingy to the porch post so the icebox will not roll off the porch. The thing has wheels. :o  Why would an icebox need wheels?
Quote from: Mooseherder on June 16, 2006, 05:54:00 PM
It works better when you lay it on its back. 8)
I thought of that, but if I lay it down it won't be on it's back, it would be on it's bottom. That means it is setting on it's end now. I am getting all confused. smiley_headscratch
I am going back to the dump and see if my old icebox is still there. :-X

Mooseherder

Your Old Ice Box is now someone elses new Ice Box.
They couldn't believe someone left it at the dump. ;D

gary

I wonder if they found agrease gun right next to it?

Mooseherder

Gary, The grease gun went back to where it came from tonight. :D

pigman

Thanks everyone for their help with my problem with what I thought was an icebox. :-[  Well, I went and took a  closer look at that box or whatever it is and came to the conclusion that I have some sort of stove.  Right at the top there is a name " Hotpoint". With a name like that it must be some sort of stove. Now I have a new question for the members of S O K I A.  Where does a person build a fire in that thing. In the stove we now have we build the fire in the bottom and bake in the top part. The bottom of this thing does not have a flue hole :o  These modern thinges sure get me confused. smiley_headscratch

sawdust

Yall missed the insructions, this is a modern ice box! That black cord thingy at the back is the pull start.
Giver a yank.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Don_Papenburg

Jeesh , you can take a redneck out of the country, but you cain't take the redneck out nohow.    We need a fetchin up forum section on here.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

Can't you hear the Theme song from Dukes of Hazard in your head? :D

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Mooseherder

I hear "dualing banjos"
Like the ones in the movie Deliverance?

joelmar10

Ya know to this day every time I see Ned Beatty ....that movie sticks in your brain don't it?

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

Didn't we already have that discussion someplace. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

I was having serious problems with my icebox and my friend Roxie thinks it was funny. :o   ;D     ;)My wife did not think it was funny when the milk turned green.
All is well now. 8) The wife bought me a brand spanking new icebox ( they call them things refrigerators now)  for Father's day. :)

SwampDonkey

You took 'Deliverance' on a new fridge then? ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Swampdonkey.............That was a good'n  :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Don P

And another perfectly good hotpoint smokehouse gets sent to the dump, oh the waste of it all  ::).

I brought a new used truck home from up north several years back. The local shade tree crew kept telling me I had left some tool stuck in the engine compartment. It had one of them funny black pull starters stickin out the grill. I guess they don't have hills up north, we just roll start most of the time.

asy

Don,

You're wrong.

You CAN take a redneck out.

Only ya gotta take him out twice.

Second time to apologise.

asy :D :D :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

Don, I will know I have driven far enough in a southerly direction next winter when someone points to the black thingy hanging from the grille of my truck and asks "Whazzat for?" :D :D

asy

I'm a bit scared to ask, but what IS the thingy hanging from your truck grille?

asy :D

tnlogger

wal now I might be wrong but here in hills we plug the black thingy into the lectrisaty, in turn that starts the jumpstcator with in turn lets you run the rotovater which then gets that there chugortater going.
then yuse gets outa thetruck unplug the black thingy, get back in that there truck
ands push in the clutchavater and puts the grindervator inta first and lets out on that there clutchavater in hopes that the chugortater chugs soes you'll can go down road ta visits with Ma&Pa . whens you'll gets there ya has to plug in the black thingy and hopes it works again soes youse can get back home. ;D
gene

sawguy21

ah asy, we need to bring you here during a Canadian winter ;D. The black thingy is an extension cord to the engine block heater. Without it being plugged in for a couple of hours at -30C, the truck don't start and we don't go anywhere.

pappy

dats right tnlogger use ta live up Nord didn't he   :P well almost way up Nord  ;D

Quote from: asy on June 18, 2006, 05:55:53 PM
I'm a bit scared to ask, but what IS the thingy hanging from your truck grille?

When ya live WAY WAY north of the Mason Dixon line ya needs what is called a engine heater ta git her started in da mornin'
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

asy

wowwee!!!

That's amazing!

You REALLY have to plug it in to heat the engine up?!

Some days our car is too hot to touch before we get in, and ya have to use your T-Shirt under your hand to open the car doors...  hehe

PS: Sawguy...  ANYTIME, Send tickets to: PO Box 2063, Salisbury East, 4107. Australia.   :-*

pappy

Quote from: asy on June 19, 2006, 10:15:24 AM
You REALLY have to plug it in to heat the engine up?!

Yup...  usually when it gets down around 0 F and below.... makes it a lot easier on the motor
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

isawlogs

Asy ,
  I have worked way up North , wheres you would not turn the engin off , other then to change the oil , and even then the oil was heated prior to be put back in .
  Yep a block heater up here is one of the first options one gets when buing a new or newer for me , vehicule .  ;)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

This thread is getting me more confused; if that is possible. ::)  If that black thingy hanging out of the front of the truck warms the motor, how does the black thingy on the back of my icebox make it cold inside? smiley_headscratch
Bob

gary

Onthesauk

Front - Hot,  Back - Cold     That kind of makes sense doesn't it?  Now you just need some little rhyme so you can remember which is which.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Radar67

Plug in the front will burn your hands, plug in back will freeze your cans.  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

wiam

The cold that comes out of front of the truck goes in the back of the icebox.

Will

Burlkraft

So...The plug in ice box keeps food cold in warm weather and in cold weather the plug in the front of the truck heats the engine...but did ya ever warm up your sandwich in da winter time on the engine manifold ??? ???

So in a way both black plugs wether hot or cold still lead to food...as does every post on this forum :D :D ;D ;D......I can't believe it...we ain't got no food smileys :o :o :o

sawguy21

:D :D :D :D The engine manifold is great for cooking hotdogs, jest dont ferget to stop and turn them. There is also enough room in an early 70's Dodge p/u heater to keep three cans of yer favourite beverage cold behind the fresh air vent.

Burlkraft

That sounds like 'sperience talkin'....to me there Sawguy.... ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

Quote from: Burlkraft on June 19, 2006, 11:27:39 PM
I can't believe it...we ain't got no food smileys :o :o :o

All ya gotta do is ask...

food1 food2 food3 digin1 digin_2 food6 cone_1 musteat_1 pepsi_smiley

will these do ta start?

Burlkraft

Yes sir der Boss.....Them will do just fine digin1 digin1 digin1

I especially like this one.... food2 food2 food2  Looks like a pig roast smiley ;D ;D

Jeff

asy

digin1 cone_1  food2

These three are my faves!

I wonder, if ya plug the car into the ice box, will they just swap heat and cools and everyone will be happy!

sprucebunny

No power for 12 hours now. I'm worried about my  cone_1 . Do you think the a/c in the car will  cool  the old Fridge ??? Maybe I could just make a double ended cord and plug it into the truck and fridge ;D ???

Got the genset going and 3 things plugged in.

Thanks for the new smilies, Jeff food6
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

I see a bowl of grits  food1

But where is the official food of the Forestry Forum? 
Where's the can of peas?
Say when

SwampDonkey

Pigman  ::) The cord on the fridge keeps stuff cold inside, the cord on the front of the car keeps stuff cold outside.  ;D :D

DanG

Them cords is like them Thermos bottles that keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold.  How do it know? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

I had me one of those thermos bottles once , I realise now , from reading your post that I musta gotten the wrong kind ,  :-\   I'd put hot coffe in it in the morning  and the coffee would be cold by mid mornin  :-\   
    I did try to put ice water in it once too , that also turned warm by mid mornin  smiley_headscratch
   Guess mine was not in the " Know "   ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Sprucegum

I remember one winter on the farm we had a power failure. The next morning when I woke up the warmest place in the house was in the refridgerator  ;D  ::)

I also remember (man , what a memory I got tonight!) the first car I bought that never had one of those plug-in thingys hangin'out the front.
I had to take the DanG carburetor in every night or it would ice up on me , and it was only -5*  >:(  :'(

iain

Here i am late to the topic

looking at the pic that box would be called a fridge/freezer over here

the top part will go down to -18c the bottom is an ordinary fridge

plug it in to the wall socket

the wheels are for using it with a built in kitchen (roll it back and forth by tipping it slightly backwards

if I'm wrong ignore all of the above and send it to Norm's he's got a bit of space for a tall thin structure there may well be a "welcome to the farm committee waiting for it);)

Iain

Don_Papenburg

ASY  , That will not do those are both male plugs .  We can't be havin; no brokeback garage/porch  ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pigman

Thanks iain. 8)  Everybody was making fun of my problem and it took a friend from the U K to explain things for me.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!