iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4 STROKE SAWS

Started by Randall, June 16, 2006, 03:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

I might be buying a new saw in the forseeable future. Maybe a Stihl 390 since I want about a 25" bar but I don't use them that much. Dose anyone know if Stihl's going to have a 4-stroke anytime soon? I think they might be worth waiting about a year for.

sawguy21

Don't hold your breath waiting. Dolmar and Shindaiwa have 2 stroke/4 stroke hybrids in the works but Shindaiwa has said they won't introduce them until forced to by emission regs. A tech rep said he tried an 80cc prototype in Japan and the torque was phenomenal.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sawyerfortyish

From what I hear they have lots of torque but not much get up and go(speed)When I cut timber I want to cut it off not nibble at it as it's comming down.

Tom

To be successful they may have to invent a new design, like this inovative piece of equipment.   :D :D

Torque can make speed, it just takes gearing. ;D

Burlkraft

Wow Tom,

That doesn't look very dangerous :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Sawyerfortyish

I got one a little smaller than that one Tom.  Mine is in a barn and going to stay there. I just love the the anti kick back divice and guards on those saws ::). The worst part is I can picture myself trying to cut off a 24"DBH oak tree with this :o

outdoortype

Does anyone have any idea when 4 cycle saws become the norm?  From what I understand the 4 cycle saws will be much heavier. My limbing saws are getting tired and I don't want to limb with a much heavier saw.  Should I get an ms250/260 while I can still get a light, efficient saw? Or will the 2 cycles be around a while?  I plan on cutting firewood for the next 20 years or until my body gives out.

sawguy21

You might as well get a lightweight 2 stroke saw now as you will likely be worn out before the 4 strokes become available :D A true 4 stroke is light years away due to bulk and weight. Imagine a saw with a fuel tank, an engine oil tank (dry sump), and a chain oil tank. Go hoist a Mac Super 33 or a Pioneer 650 to get the idea. The MS260 is a treat for limbing and firewood.

Ianab

Might be time for Dolmar to bring back this idea  ???

A Wankel rotary engine would be light and compact enough to work in a saw, revs are no problem, and it's a 4 stroke. With the newer materials they have for seals and liners it could work. Mazda still use them in the RX8 sportscars so they are practical.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

8) It would definately scream.

Deadwood

I talked directly with the Stihl Chainsaw distributor for the New England Region a month ago at a trade show in Bangor Maine. I asked him that very question....and he said that he doubted Stihl would ever have a four stroke saw. They are meeting emission standards until 2012 and that 4 strokes are heavy. Those are his words, not mine.

Myself, my chainsaw is the last machine in my fleet of engine powered toys to be 2 stroke and to think it will be awhile before Stihl comes out with a 4 stroke is a true shame. My weedwacker is a 4 stroke and I love it. The machine has unbelievable power, and yet is super quiet.

This year I just switched over from a 2 stroke snowmobile to a 4 stroke Yamaha. This machine has more power than my pickup and gets better gas mileage to boot. My old sled was a 500 cc machine and barely hit 75 mph and averaged 12 miles to the gallon. This one has 973 cc, hit 110 mph and gets 21 miles to the gallon. The torque is unbelievable and fast. But the best part is this machine is super quiet and doesn't make you smell like a gas can.

As a side note, my 973 cc machine redlines at 10,000 rpm, while my friends 600 cc 2 stroke redlines at 9400 rpms. How they spin an engine 600 more times a minute with halfd the number of power strokes is beyond me. In any case, bring on the four stroke chainsaw I say. I am waiting for them with open arms!!

barbender

I'm thinking a big torquey thumper chainsaw would be cool myself.  Look at motocross bikes, the 4-strokes are dominating. I can't wait to see a 4 stroke saw.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!