iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log Cabin on the Lake

Started by Stephen1, June 16, 2006, 01:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I never thought about that , but it could be why some of my logs are not sitting as they should, because of the check widening the groove
barbender
Quote from: barbender on August 08, 2006, 10:43:45 PM
Only problem with the check forming in the lateral groove is that it can cause the joint to open up as the bottom of the log opens up. I see this happening on a few logs on my log shell.  A lot of builders saw a kerf in the top of the log so it checks there. Maybe I'll do that next time. :)
One book by Dan Milne talked about picking a check at the top of the log and driving some hardwood wedges in, forcing the check in the top as you suggest.

8)
My roof sips are ready today, am going to pick them up at the factory, 100 miles south of here in FT. Erie.Iwill take 2 loads I think. They weigh 200lbs each I am getting 13 panels -4'x14'. The trailer should hold them all but the weight is over 2000lbs and the DOT here says we need trailer brakes over that weight, so to stay on the safe side 2 loads, 1200 - 1300lbs per load. I will drop one load here at my house and then back for the other load, haul that north 130 miles. The trucking company wants $900 to move them. I think the gas for me will come out about $150, plus my time. I just started vacation for 2 weeks so what else would you do but work on a project ;D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stephen1

I am back at work laying over in Niagara Falls so I have some time to post some pictures. Things went well on vacation and I was able to get my roof on the cabin

This the cutting of the roof pitch cut on the walls. I should have marked the logs taken them down and cut them on the ground but we cracked the last log going up and I did not want to chance taking it down.

I had to cut these ends of the logs off. I had hoped to place the loft on these outrigger logs, but no loft allowed in a bunkie. (bylaws)
After the cut we used an electric planer to smooth the cut line.

This is the little truck hauling 10 sips from FT. Erie to the cabin site 200 mile It took 2 loads to move them.

I planed and sanded the ridge pole and king posts as they were a little grey and wheathered. A coat of urethane was put on them to clean them up.
Before installing the ridge pole all the wiring is installed and wrapped with duct tape and marked

The crane came 2 weeks ago and this is the Ridge pole flying in. 8)

It was a beautiful morning, no wind lots of sun and not very hot, I couldn't have asked for anything else.

the ridge pole had a little twist in it so it did not fit like the last time it was together in my back yard. with a little bit of persuasion it fit just fine.

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

Stephen 1- That is looking great!!!
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

this was all done on my vacation . my son wants to know why I do not mind working for free on my own projects, but do not like to going to work where I get paid :D

This is the 1st of the sips coming in We put 3 together on the ground and then made 1 lift. I found out later some of the builders are assembling all the panels on the ground and doing 1 lift per side.

This the 1st lift installed. 8 more to go.

Only 1 more panel to install. it has been a long day. my son Dustin in the red T shirt. Earlier in the day he  steped on ground nest of hornets and had 4-5 stings. then one of my  friends wife gave him a double dose of benedryl, He was out commision for a while till the benedryl wore off.

This is one of my favorite pictures. stamped on the OSB

The end of the day with all the panels up.
I pick up the steel tomorrow and will install it this week-end.
The roof is coverd with Tyvak house wrap and strapped ready for the steel
anyone have any tips for installing the steel

Raphael

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 12, 2006, 11:41:29 AM
The roof is coverd with Tyvak house wrap and strapped ready for the steel
anyone have any tips for installing the steel

Gloves are a real good thing to have.  ;D

Looks like a roof ladder job, are you going with standing seam?
  If it's SS then making up one or two of these might be helpful once you've got started, it gives you a place to lay tools...   At your pitch I wouldn't suggest putting SS to the stress of scaffolding or go trusting quickgrips to hold the weight of a person (also be sure your roofing is strong enough and well anchored before going out on the blocks).

Do you plan on wearing fall arrest gear up there?  It's real nice to have a pair of positioning rings to work off for that last bit of ridge cap, especially if your roof ladders aren't designed to give it clearance.  Knee pads are also a good thing.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Stephen1

I finnished the roof strapping today after picking up the steel. Strapped with 2x4 on 24" up & down with 1x4 on 16" centers across. makes a great ladder.  I was not able to use SS. My wife thinks the budget is out of control. Also  the steel supplier would not let me install , they wanted thier installers to do the work.  By the time I regret it, it will be someone eles's problem.
Raphael thanks for the idea on the safety harness, and gloves. I think I will rent the harness the week-end.  not sure if I will need a roof ladder with the strapping though. we will play it by ear and see how it goes.

Raphael

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 13, 2006, 10:09:13 PM
  My wife thinks the budget is out of control.
   :D  Isn't the budget always out of control once you start a major building project.  :D

At this point SWMBO and I are both numb to the costs of building, we spent yesterday at the plumbing supply ordering all the remaining fixtures...  Never once batted an eye when a price was mentioned in fact I think I just bought $750 in shower valves for the shower I'm not building until "sometime in the future". ::)

not sure if I will need a roof ladder with the strapping though. we will play it by ear and see how it goes.

Sounds like the strapping will save you a lot of ladder hassles, only time you might miss a ladder is right at the end when the last of the strapping is covered and you can work off the harness fairly conveniantly at that point.
  One other thing I've found is that you'll get a better grip on steel from clean shoes with almost no tread.  I slide continuously on a 6:12 pitch in running shoes but my old worn out shop shoes hold fairly well.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Stephen1

We have the roof strapped for the steel to go on. We were able to do this 2 weeks ago but I just had time now to up load the pictures

my son is tied into a climbing harness with a belay for the rope. it worked perfect as I only had to go up on the roof to help with the ridge cap. Dustin screwed in all 900 screws :) while I supervised from below. ;D

Here we are installing the last ridge cap, it did not install like we would have liked. We had to place the closure brilo pad product under the cap to keep the bats & birds, insects out.  Next week end we go up to do the facia board we are going to adjust that ridge cap.
We hope to get the facia on and the gable ends closed up with some plastic over framing, get it closed in for the winter. We have to get some firewood brought in for the sugar bush in the next month before the snow comes and there is a lot of downed trees in the way in the bush from the tornadoes that touched down here this summer. More than we thought originally.

sprucebunny

Looks great, Stephen  8) and that's my favorite color roof ;D

Those SIPS look like a quick way to get closed in.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Raphael

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 13, 2006, 09:10:58 PM
Those SIPS look like a quick way to get closed in.

That's for sure, some days I wish I'd done SIPs for my upper roof.  Right now the house is like a big insulated cup, holds the morning chill all day long.
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Stephen1

They were a great way to close in. Next time they I would order the 8' panels and screw as many together on the ground as I could. In hindsite I could have connected the panels together for each side of the roof on the ground, before the crane showed up and only had to do 2 lifts to put the roof on. 1 lift per side. I could have saved $500 at least, as the crane would only have had to make 3 lifts 1 for the ridge pole and 2 for the roof.
1\2 day at the most instead of 11 hrs. Dang I hated seeing that crane operator sitting in the shade relaxing while I was slugging! >:(

Don P

:D :D I know the feeling, paid one $125/hr to read a novel while we fixed an oops.

sbishop

nice Cabin there Stephen1

had a couple of questions regarding the roof, how much overhang did you with? on the sides and the gable ends?

how big is your roof? dimension total of metal used? i'm building next spring and was wondering how much the roof will cost me!

THANKS

Sbishop

Stephen1

Sbishop
what are building with? stick or logs. are you designing yourself?
The overhang on the front & rear is  20". the sides were to be 24" but ended up being 28".
Thes are 8" thick with an r32 value
I did not have to have the sips overhang that much as I found out after that I could have ended the sips at the wall line and framed the rest. hind site is always 20\20
The pitch is 12\12 and we used 750 sq. ft.  the steel here runs about $2:00'

sbishop

thanks for replying!

i'm building with vertical logs (black spruce)  it's going to be 22X26 with a 8' covered porch on the front..so 22'X34'

i've got up to my floor finished this year..it's covered now for the winter!

I know I want lots of overhang to keep the wet weather off of it.

my roof will be stick as I will probrably not be insulating it.(yet) maybe down the road!

what's the size of your building?

Looks awsome!

Sbishop

Stephen1

That will be a nice size. Will your logs be scribe fitted?
We are 24x16 with a loft which will extend  over the 7' porch ( once the inspector leaves) We also have a full basement that will have a sauna and bathroom.

sbishop

no scribing here. I will be standing up each 8ft log side by side and running the chainsaw in between the logs to get a tight fit. I don't have much to any help on this project so i'm working solo. I can handle an 8ft log better then a 20ft log  ;D

Here's a pic of what I have to so far. i'm going to post the rest of the pics in new thread so I don't take over yours  :D

Keep up the good work!

Sbishop

beenthere

sbishop
You are allowed bigger pics on the forum. Size them first to 400 pixels longest side, then save them to the max file size.  That way they will be large and still fit the forum specs. You have some good pics in your gallery, and look forward to hear about your project.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logwalker

Gret project there Stephan. Could you elaborate on the method of assembling the roof on the ground before lifting. I have never considered this and can't see an easy way to do this. Lw
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Stephen1

LW,
     The sips were 4'x15'6" long. The SIPS have splines between each piece. We placed 2 - 4' & 1- 2' panel together on the back of the crane truck. We were able to screw the splines into each panel from above and below. I believe we could have place all 26' of panels  side by side on good saw horses, screwed the spline in from the bottom and the top. then I would place 2x lumber across the spline to stop it from buckling at the joint and place lifting blocks in 4 locations screwd to the 2x for the crane to lift by. My post #28 show the 3 panels screw together and being lifted in place. I could not find any pictures of us screwing the panels together. We only screwed the 10' of panel together not the whole roof as we were not set up for the 26', also I was able to get away with only screwing the top of the spline in place on the roof. Once the crane left I placed the rest of the screws in the splines from under the roof from scaffolding. make any sense without pictures? :-\

Raphael

My panels arrived on the deck of a truck crane with a trailer in tow.
  They put the first floor together one panel at a time until they got comfortable with my frame and then started assembling them in pairs and larger units.  All the splines were completely screwed on the ground so they were able to dispense with the blocking.
  Here's a second floor gable end going in as a single peice (~18' x 9'):

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Stephen1

well I finally got back to working on the cabin, after being off for 3 months with a broken heal, and 3 more months getting my house back normal. I have almost finished building the windows here at home. I just need to paint, and build some screens.

here I am using a beam machine to cut the opening. Always hard to cut the logs away after putting in so much time to build the wall.

Here I am checking out the opening. We placed the window lower so we could see out while we are sitting inside.

sbishop

good looking cabin there Stephen!

what's your span between your purlins? and the dimensions of the camp?

Thanks
Sbishop

Stephen1

The dimensions are 16x16 with another 8' for the porch. because we had to go so far down for bedrock for the foundation I have a 16x16 ICF Basement which we will put a washroom and sauna in .

Stephen1

IT is finally raining here so I found some time to spend on the photos. I up loaded a couple today to  see if I remembered how.  We spent the summer, week-ends only finishing the gable ends, T&G pine along with some windows I made myself. My nephew and I sanded all the outside logs and applied 3 coats of stain and chinked the logs. I am basically finished for the winter as I plan the electric and how to heat, I would like to put in radiant heat with a homemade solar power. I am lookig for any info on the solar idea.

Thank You Sponsors!