iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Argentina

Started by catfish, June 16, 2006, 09:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfish

I will be in Argentina the week of July 4 with my lumber broker looking for lumber and trying to sell my cedar lumber. Anyone been there willing to share a few tips?
catfish farmer, Hurdle mill.....need more cedar!
(I been livin here 65 years,ain't no metal in them trees)
( You can have that 75 year old Pecan tree if you will pick up all limbs and grade my yard back)

sawguy21

That is a country I have dreamed of visiting. Hope you get some pics to share with us. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bro. Noble

What part of the country will you be visiting?

As for tips,  if you are in the Pampas area and you are lucky,  they will offer you mate'.  be prepared to drink out of a common gourd and pretend that you really like it and don't mind having your teeth turn green.   They take their mate' very seriously and at the exact temperature.  Boiling the mate' water is a very serious mistake :o  I've been scolded more than once :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

catfish

We are going first to Misiones Province to visit a few sawmills and then on to other  provinces in the north , I read about the mates, and yes they take it very seriously.
( You can have that 75 year old Pecan tree if you will pick up all limbs and grade my yard back)

Paschale

While you're there, be sure to get yourself a steak--they're internationally famous for what they do with beef.   ;D  They're also known for really good wine.

What part of Argentina will you be visiting?  Anywhere near Buenos Aires?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

catfish

Can't wait for those big ol' juicy t-bones :) We have now hired a freind of a freind of etc....... who is a local and has planned our intenarary and will travel with us. Temporary plans are flying into Beunos Aries, then fly to Missiones province to visit two sawmills there.  Rent a car and drive back south stopping at each provinces tourist centers to find more sawmills. The most heavily forested part of the country is the northern sections. I only have one week but my friend will be staying the whole month.

Paschale

I recently read an article on the wineries of Argentina in Food and Wine magazine.  I'll see if I can't dig it up, because they have even more travel ideas.

Also, whenever I go to a big city, I want to be assured that I find a GREAT place to eat. 

Here's a link that I'd print off, and take with me to Beunos Aires.   8)

Gourmet Magazine Essential Guide to Restaurants in Buenos Aires

catfish

Thanks, that will certainly come in handy for a country boy like myself :P

Paschale

Quote from: catfish on June 21, 2006, 03:11:07 PM
Thanks, that will certainly come in handy for a country boy like myself :P

Hey, a country boy's gotta eat, and besides, probably knows good food better than any city slicker ever would.   ;D

Bro. Noble

Catfish,  when you get to downtown B.A.,  give N.P. Antelme a call and tell him NOble sent you.  He's got an office downtown and eating is one of his specialities.  You may have to have an interpretor.  He speaks six or eight languages fluently,  but has a lot of trouble with 'Southern'  :D :D :D   ONce we were in MIssissippi and I had to order a hamburger and strawberry shake for him or he would have gone hungry ;D ;D  He's orginally from the Cordoba area,  and we both have friends in the north,  so he might be able to give you some good contacts.

I had three friends that came from cattle ranches in the pampas.  When they threw a big party they always BBQed a goat :o :o ::)  When I was with them in college in Iowa,  they grilled steak,  but looked down their noses at me for grilling pork chops ::)  Did I mention that you never boil the mate' water ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

catfish

I will do that since I will have one day to in B A  to kill. We have hired an interpretor for the full trip. Can't wait 8) Oops, my free day in B A is on the tail end of the trip. I will still try to contact him. ;)

Gustavo

i had red this post    too late

we live in argentina   the country is very nice to visit

misiones )iguazu falls are very nice place

here there are the most importants  sawmills    . and forestry people

but there are diferentes areas  beautiful too 

you can visit our state(province) jujuy  in this site

www.jujuy.gov.ar   look for photos  (fotos)   

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

catfish

Gustavo, I had a very nice trip to your country. We landed in BA then flew to Missiones, visited alot of sawmills and saw alot of the province. We were lucky because the cabanas where we stayed the owner himself had a sawmill :) He was very helpful with showing us around. I have tons of pics if I ever take the time to learn how to post them. I thought we had competetion here but I have never saw as many mills as were in Missiones. We actually counted over 80 mills in one stretch of 60 km :o

sawguy21

Sure would like to see the pictures 8) I am like you though, never sat down and actually tried to post pics here.

Gustavo

hellow catfish 

its a pleasure  know that you had enjoy argentina

we  lives in jujuy   nw of the country   the forest is similar to misiones

there are no much sawmills in our state  ,,

the woods are  diferents too.

misiones had an 90 percent of  pine  eliotti  .  eucaliptus . araucaria (brazilan pine)
in reforest

if you like visit our state  you  can visit the site  www.jujuy.gov.ar

you must visit our state too .... is very nice     

Gustavo

if you like to see diferents kinds of  woods
visit  the site

www.gmfsa.com

is an german company that produce fsc wood 

barbender

Argentina is supposed to have some of the finest trout fishing this side of New Zealand, if you are into that kind of thing
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

8) I could handle that.

Stephen1

We would love to see some of those pictures, otherwise how do we know it happened
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!