Cheatnut oak?    Chestnut? :D 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

tnlogger

nope but there is a tree in these woods that looks like it but that one you use the roots and bark for as a herb and for tea  :D
gene

Gary_C

Can't help with the tree ID because I am trying to figure out who's picture is on that small limb in your first tree picture. Maybe if you enhance the picture we can see better.

Is it Al Gore?     :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

It sure has the form of the butternut that used to grow at the Farm.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

UNCLEBUCK

It is a Slingshot  aka slingshottus quirca  :P  I win !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

Looks like some kind of knarly old locust.   :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tnlogger

never can top sd on these things  ;D it is a narly young honey locust  :)
gene

thurlow

As a Tennesseean, I REALLY RESENT the al gore crack;  isn't he from Washington, D.C. :D :D  What would he be doing in East Tennessee?  8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Jeff

Is Gary and I the only ones that see that figure of a fellow? It looks more like Buster Keaton in a derby to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Nope, he is there for me too.  ;D  But I'm not too good at rememberin names.  :)

Fact, there is an image on both limbs now.      :)  (first pic)  I think that pic is growing faces.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tnlogger

:D :D :D :D :D wal I done guess I'll havta go back up there and get a real good close up for you'll. You know i could be a pic of that there peanut farmer too ;D
gene

woodbeard

So this tree is not the one you make tea out of? 'cause that would be sassafrass.
This one is sourwood

Gary_C

Jeff

You could be right, but then again what would Buster Keaton be doing up in a tree in Tennessee?    ;D

On the other hand, Al Gore could just be a hugging that tree with his hands behind his back and making a funny face.    :D :D :D

thurlow

Even though you would not even vote for him, you "Tennesseean's" can't disown him that easily.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woodbeard

He used to be listed in my local phone book, actually. Gore, Albert Jr, Vice President of the United States of America was the actual listing. I used to think that was pretty cool.

He's unlisted now.  :D

tnlogger

goerge Thats what I thought when I took the pic but then i plealed some bark and it were yeller in side. so locast or as some here say hedge  ;D
gene

Timburr

Me thinks it's a picture of Stan Laural, 'cos his "partner in crime" Oliver Hardy is out on a larger limb. :D :D
Sense is not common

woodbeard

Hmm.. Hedge is what they call "Bodock" aka Osage Orange.
I could see it being a black locust ( also called  yellow locust ) but it is certianly not honeylocust, the bark is all wrong.
It really looks like sourwood.
What were the leaves like?

SwampDonkey

I've seen different locust species here with similar bark in that pic. The locusts up here are non native to the region.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

The bark looks a little course and light colored for Persimmon and I can't see the leaves but there are two tests that I was taught for Persimmon.   It is usually the darker (sometimes black) trunk in the forest, and a hole drilled through the bark with a knife will reveal yellow or gold tissue.

SwampDonkey

What were the flowers like? The black locusts in towns are flowering now in my area.

eldorado

I would say it's a sassafras.

tnlogger

::) wal now I done stumped meself  I went riding with my son yesterday and we went up tp ricks. well paul being how he is we went under the hill and I showed him the locast. wal I'll tell ya he turned around and asked me if i were going blind or just feeble minded  :-\ . Then he put that there stupid I gotcha grin on and said it's a sour wood ya old codjure.
But being as how i am I was wrong and him and wood beard is right :D
gene

Riles

If'n you took a picture of the leaves, we could drag this argument out a little longer... ;)
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!