iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Max log diameter in WM LT15

Started by Max sawdust, June 15, 2006, 08:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max sawdust

Hey LT15 owners,
What is the max practical size log (ie. Min work with chain saw) have you milled?

I have access to a 36" butt 32" top Red pine log.  I know my max width is approx 31 inches and max height is 27.5 inches but ?  Can I mill a 36" butt without too much chain saw work??

Experiences appreciated ;D  Techniques to get it done are also appreciated..

Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Warren

Max,  My LT15 was made Jan 2004.  Max clearance between the saw guides is 26".  I just sawed a cedar log last week that was 22" small end, 28" big end.  The strategy I use to mill logs that are slightly bigger than the saw's capacity is:

1) load the log on the mill with widest butt dimension vertical
2) take as much off the top face as possible (till your saw guides hit the log)
3) roll the log 90 degrees
4) take as much off the next face as possible (till your saw guides hit the log)

Goal is to whittle enough off each face until the cant fits between your saw guides.  For me it is typically two faces.  Then you can use whatever method you prefer to continue.  Other things to watch out for are sweep, crook, knots that will stick out beyond the vertical stops and block the travel of the saw carriage at the bottom rollers. Finally, when you start turning a log that size on the mill, the mill will move around sometimes.  So, if your mill is on blocks be careful when turning to not knock it off the blocks  (don't ask how I know this...)

As for your pine, I think I would split it at least once.  I have an oak log 34" small end, 36" big end that I split because (a) it wouldn't fit on the LT15 and (b) I didn't want to wrestle with turning it.  It is still going to be close getting the first slab off of the top of each half.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Max sawdust

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate it.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Qweaver

Max,
I've been sawing for less than a year on my LT15 and would not pretend to have a lot of advice to pass on.  The biggest log that I've sawn is a 29" small end.  I'n not sure exactly what the big end was because I had to use the chain saw to trim it down to let the guides pass by.  To me the biggest problem is not sawing, it's turing that brute after it gets 2 straight sides, and especially after the third side.  Better have a couple long LogRights and two hefty men on hand.  :D
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

jkj

Max,

I do not have actual experiece with cutting large diameters, but I had the same question.  I measured my LT-15 and made a CAD drawing to try to understand the limits.  Woodmizer states a 28" maximum log with a 23" cant capability.  From my drawing, it appears the absolute maximum log that could be handled under perfect conditions would be 32", assuming a minimum 33.5" horizontal space between upright components.   (My mill was purchased new last November) 

A 32" log, however, would require perfect alignment with about a 1/10" clearance at critical points - a clear impractibility.  If you could get the 32" log situated properly, it could just barely be cut into a 23" cant.

A 30" log appears to have a higher liklihood of success, giving over 1" clearance at the closest catch points.  This could be cut into a 21" square cant or larger with rounded corners.  However, the log would still require careful positioning on the mill. 

A 28" log looks like it would be much easier to saw.

BTW, it looks like a 37" log, cut in half (or at least slabbed down to 26" by cutting away one side) would physically fit on the mill.  But I would not want to handle and try to position such a log unless Superman stopped by to help.

I have some large logs waiting, so I may have some actual experience later.  The largest I've cut so far has been around 24"

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Kevin

I try to stay at 29" and not use the chain saw.

beenthere

Interesting pic, but how does the guy in the orange suit keep cool?  Two guys are in short sleeve shirts.  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

One tends to dress a little warmer when one doesn't work as hard as the other two.  ;D

Burlkraft

Maybe the orange suite is a NASCAR Cool Suit.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Part_Timer

The largest I did was 35" on the large end.  I thought I had a picture of it on here but I don't. 

I took a deep opening cut then turned it part way and made another deep cut and so on untill it would fit between the guides.

It took a bit of chainsaw work to make it fit between the posts if I remember right.

The one thing I do remember is that it would have to be a real nice log to go through that again but where ther is a will there is a way.

Tom

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Plowboy

Max when I had the mill I sawed a couple of those bigger logs.  When we would get them up on the mill we ended triming with the chainsaw to get the saw down through the log.  I end doing that a lot with my LT30.  Someone on the forum had a good idea of taking the blade off the mill and run the head down the log to see where to trim the log.  It is not all that bad to do, I figured it was easier to trim the log on the mill than try splitting the log.

Max sawdust

Thanks everyone ;D  This forum is something else.   8)

The log is a very straight clear 12' EWP butt log.
Might just try it to take pictures and say I did it.  That big log on the little LT15 would be a sight to see. :D
max

True Timbers

Thank You Sponsors!