iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grease Gun

Started by Mooseherder, June 15, 2006, 05:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

Getting the Trailer ready to pull up to Maine next week and couldn't find my Grease Gun.
Guess what a new Gun, Tube of Grease and a Rubber Flex Tube cost me at the Auto Parts Store today?! Its been a while since I had to buy one I guess. :o

Tom

My last tube of Lithium grease was $4.   I almost had a heart attack.

gary

Mooseherder

Burlkraft

A battery powered gun or a manual pumper... ??? ???

I know the battery gun from Lincoln is around 80 bucks...but ya get a hose and a chrome tube with that and yeah lithium is about 4 bucks a tube ::) ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

It was just a Manual Pumper.
If we have no road problems, it'll have been worth it I guess.

sawguy21

Of course you will find the old one now that you shelled out for an expensive replacement. Mind you, I refuse to fight with the cheapies, I have seen a few of those 'accidently' left under machinery.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ed_K

Ya have ta buy the grease by the case  ;D. Or git yourself all dirty ifn ya buy a 5 gal pail  :o.
Ed K

Don_Papenburg

I buy my greese in the 5gallon and 120# drum  I have an air greaser that fits the pail and I fill my small gun and  the minilube with that.   

Do any of you guys on the bottom of the world Know if McNaught is still making the Minilube?  I got it over 25 years ago
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

Well Well,
The darn thing quit working before I got to the Wheel Bearings!
It greased 2 Door Hinges and stopped working.

fat olde elf

My frugal brother-in-law bought me a NAPA gun for 23.99 for my birthday.
Works great and he also off-bears on special days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Corley5

My local tractor dealer is running a hay season special on grease.  100 tubes of MF lithium grease for 100 bucks.  I bought a grease gun and 10 tubes of grease at a flea market in Fl last winter for ten bucks.  The grease looked dirty and I wouldn't have trusted it but the gun works good  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Blake22

In my dealings I've always used the "you get what you pay for" rule of thumb. But I can get just as much use out of a $10 grease gun as I can from a $35 gun.
Blake

sprucebunny

I gotta have those one handed grease  guns. They cost a little more but they keep the frustration level down a bit.

That other kind of gun always comes off the zerk and hits me in the face..... with grease spewing wildly from it, of course :D

$29 for the gun, $ 15 for the hose ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

scsmith42

I too like the one handed guns.  However, about a year ago a good friend of mine talked me into getting one of the battery operated Lincoln's.  Considering all of the equipment that I have and grease on a frequent basis, it was an excellent investment.

If you use a grease gun frequently, put one of these on your birthday "wish list" - you will not regret it.

On a separate topic (not trying to steal the thread - this is related to the topic!), other than Don P does anybody use grease in bulk?  If so, do you have any recommendations for a good brand of air pumper system?  I've got several 5 gallon pails of grease that I'd like to use up, and so I thought that I'd try out a bulk filler.  I have a Zee Line grease filler pump, and it's the biggest piece of junk that I've ever seen.  It won't fill the gun if it's less than about 90 degrees outside, the handle bent, and the fitting on the gun leaks.  \

Don - what brand of air greaser do you have and would you recommend it?

Any recommendations?  Thanks.  Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pigman

I have one of those manual pump grease gun fillers. I got it at TSC about 20 years ago. It fits on a 5 gal pail and takes about 6 strokes to fill a gun without any mess. I paid about $20 US back then.  I am not going to talk about the cheap grease gun I just bought. >:(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

scsmith42

PM - do  you know what brand it is?  Thx.  Scott

Don_Papenburg

I had a Lincoln years ago and liked it .  it was for a 120lb drum .  The one I use now is is one that I got from Farm&fleet .  It was sitting on the shelf scattered from one end to the other . If I remember the price I paid was $30.oo because they did not know if all the parts were included with the mess. and that is what the hand pump greese gun filler cost.  So we had a deal.  I will have to check on the brand but I would recomend it.

SCSmith,  You can fill the hand gun out of the pail by dipping your gun body into oil and then stick it into the grease and pull back on the plunger till it is filled and then make sure that you locked the shaft in place , pull it out of the grease and screw the head back on .  release the plunger shaft and then unscrew just enough to let traped air seep out. retighten and grease the heck out of stuff.

scsmith42

Thanks Don.  I've done this w/o using the oil, and the mess was memorable...  I'll try it again with oil.

pigman

Scott, sorry, I do not know the brand, I lost the paperwork a long time ago and there is no name on the pump.
I filled my grease guns like Don described for years, but I don't like to get any grease on my sparkling clean hands. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

johnjbc

I bought a whole box of grease gun at a yard sale. So I wait till they are all empty and then fill them all at once. That way I  only get my hands dirty every 10th gun fill. 8) 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

ScottAR

A new lincoln brand manual gun runs about $40ish dollars U.S.  That's for the one hander...   The cheapies are less but only last a few minutes... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Coon

Talking about grease guns..... I have quite a funny story that happened to me this spring while we were finishing up the combining we didn't get done last fall. 

It happened like this.  We had a breakdown on the combine.  A blown bearing that heated on the shaft that we ended up cutting.  We had to cut the shaft and replace the works.  Well we got it all put back together and I greased up the bearing.  Had to set the gun down to climb out of the tight spot.  Climbed out and as I did so I got side tracked with putting a couple of wrenches away that I forgot to earlier.  Yup the grease gun got left. I fired the combine up to finish the last 20 or so acres.  Started everything up on the combine to start picking up the next swath and CLUNK!! CLATTER!! BANG!!!   Oh what the @^*))(& is going on now??  Turned out Yup the greas gun went through the combine from front to back.  What a mess inside the whole combine...... 

Following day I get a phone call asking about some 18 foot 2x6's.  The guy said he would be by later that afternoon to pick them up.  I go out to make sure I had some and found I was about a dozen short so.....  no problem  I will just buck up a couple of logs and load them up on the mizer and saw them out.  Get the first log loaded up on the mill and realize I hadn't greased up the mill and checked things out.  Grease it up and set the gun down on the log while I checked everything else out.  While I was checking the mill out I see the guy turning off the road and onto the trail towards the mill which is about a quarter mile from the road at the back of the hay field along the edge of the bush.  In a hurry to get sawing I fire up and start forgetting that my NEW grease gun is on the top of the log.  Yup  I sawed the hose right off it along with the tip of the plunger handle.   

What a couple of days....... :D :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

maple flats

I also use a manual pump form TSC to refill guns from 5 gal pails. Works great, never get air problems but do not know the brand. It takes a special fitting in place of the air vent plug to fill thru. About 5 pumps and it is full, just a slight bit to wipe from the fill port and done. Quick, painless and easy.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Mooseherder

The saga continues for me. Just got in from the high humidity from another bad experience with my second grease gun. This time I bought the one-handed cheapo and proceded to fill the dang thing.
Pulled and locked the plunger and before I could put the trigger on.........yep...poop, the plunger released and pushed the contents of the tube on my Driveway and Garage floor.  No problem, I got 3 more tubes I can fill that baby up with.......but NO,  I can't get the darn tube out.  Threw the thing away and still ain't got no grease in my wheel bearings. >:(

Don_Papenburg

Pigman , if you don't want to get your fingers greasy do like I do .  I have my wife fill the grease guns ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sawguy21

I view most grease guns as an evil necessity. Great when they work but they usually make a mess and give me grief. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

From the TSC web site, it looks like they carry Alemite brand grease guns and accessories.  As I recall, Alemite is part of Stewart Warner, a top notch company.

The web site did not list any bulk grease pumps, but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks for the advice.

Scott

Burlkraft

We sell both....the warranty rate on Alemite/S.W. is pretty high....

I kinda like Lincoln better......but that's just me ;) ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

joelmar10

Coon,

I was gonna recommend you tie your grease gun around your neck just to keep track of it.  But then I realized you'd probably end up decapitated or worse. smiley_roller
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

sprucebunny

Coon, it must be the moon.

This is only a "near-grease-gun story" like "near-beer" ;D
The grease guns live on a peg on the side of a tall narrow shelf thing that is screwed to the wall. On the top shelf, six and a half feet up, lived an unused espresso maker. It seemed happy there the last 5 or so years, but yesterday, just as I opened the door, it leaped to it's death  :o

Going to check the mental health of the rest of my appliances and make sure they are happy ..... just as soon as the power comes back on ......  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

I don't need to be decapitated yet but maybe someday.  Next time I finish with it I'll just throw it as far as I can and hope for the best.  Then the next problem will be to find it when I need it. :D :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

scsmith42

Bulkraft - thanks for the feedback.  I've really enjoyed my Lincoln power luber - based on your comment I'll check out their bulk refilling systems.  Regards, Scott

Mooseherder

Bought my third grease gun today. Hope it works this time or the problem may not be the gun. :D
We are leaving for our trip in a couple hours and will miss the forum for a couple weeks.
Can't wait to tell you about our new to us purchase when we get back!
We'll take pictures as we are dismantling and reassembling.

Thank You Sponsors!