iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More farmer engineering

Started by thurlow, June 14, 2006, 11:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thurlow

If I could quote Tony Joe White, "If some of y'all never been down sout too much,
I'm gonna tell you a little about this so that you'll
Understand what I'm talkin' about"..............Family all came tonight for supper;  what to fix?  How 'bout ribs and the trimmings?  First you get your "Jed Clampett" cooker

then you get a few slabs of ribs (6 for tonight);  your standard pig ribs, none of that bovine stuff;  then you paint 'em with a thin layer of yellow mustard and sprinkle 'em heavily with cajun seasoning and paprika

put 'em in a rib rack and cook for a couple of hours at 300 or 325 degrees

they're done, but not tender

so put 'em in a steamer with 2 large cans of pineapple juice for an hour and a half or 2 hours

and they're done, "they're so good, they'll make you slap your preacher";  now for some potato salad, baked beans, vinegar slaw and RIBS

Leastwise, that's how it's done in Lauderdale County, TN
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

DanG

HOT-DIGGITY-DOG!  I'm'na have ta try that!  I usually cook'em for a while, then wrap'em in foil for that last couple of hours.  It works well, but I'll hafta try the mustard thing! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Yessiree bobcat!  That looks good.  I got to make me one of those steamer thingys.

UNCLEBUCK

Nice bbq grill  8)  Is that a truck rim or a small farm tractor rim ?  That is awesome stuff !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

MULE_MAN

Never seen them cook like that before, But they sure look GOOD !! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Burlkraft

That's one nice piece of farmer engineering on that gill there thurlow ;) ;) ;) ;)

And them ribs look deelish....

Like everybody else I never had ribs that way...but I'm gonna try 'em out ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodbowl

Thurlow, I'm about ready to run outside and weld me up a Jed Clampet cooker!   About that there steamer pan ........  I'm assuming that the  pineapple juice always stays below the meat, but the pineapple/steam makes it's way through the meat. Is there a hint of pineapple taste in the meat?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

tnlogger

wal now I missed it  :D and being sooooo close to. Thurlow good looking cooker there and ribs did ya says real ribs. I might just have ta crank the old truck up and do a road trip just to see the cooker  ;D
gene

thurlow

Hey guys;  the rims are 38 inch tractor duals;  local dealer went belly-up a few years ago and sold a mess of 'em at salvage prices, so I bought a few.  I usta wrap the ribs in foil as DanG suggested, 'til I built the first "steamer".  If you build one, drill a small (1/32 inch or so) hole in the top,  if you don't the juice will immediately boil out around the bottom and put your fire out; don't ask I how know :D.  The pineapple juice stays mostly below the ribs;  no hint of pineapple flavor;  the acid (?) in the juice just seems to tenderize them better than water.  

the grill is charcoal fired;   the propane tank is for a couple of fish cookers mounted on the front

couldn't find burners with enough heat to suit me.......tried the high pressure regulator/170,000 btu burners like come on the small fish cookers sold at the big box stores, but they just didn't get hot enough for the 3 1/2 or 4 gallons of oil I like to use; so after 4 or 5 false starts, came up with a design that works.  Old cultivator gauge wheels nestled "spoon" fashion with appropriate size orfice (3/32 inch) and holes (64 holes at 3/16 inch.

seldom use the cooker on the Clampett rig;  have built numerous stand-alone cookers on tri-pod legs.  The pots are the bottom third..........12 to 14 inch deep.......of a hundred pound propane tank.  I've been flamed on other forums for cutting into a propane tank;  I'm a trained professional  8);  don't try this at home

The "Jed Clampett" is my wife's term;  after 40 years together , nothing surprises her.

Norm

Well I'll be darned if that isn't a great idea thurlow.  :)

As far as getting flamed for cutting a propane tank I kinda know how you feel....some people have no sense of adventure. ;D

beenthere

Norm, thinkin the 50 cal would work?  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

Hey y'all I may be a Yankee but Thurlow's rib recipe is spot-on.  I make ribs a lot in my smoker (not a farmer-engineered, job, it's a brand called Kamado).  I brine the ribs for a few hours in a brine consisting of a cup each of kosher salt and brown sugar and a couple gallons of water.  Then coat heavily with yeller mustard (the mustard provides acid to break down the meat fibers and some flavor, you won't taste mustard when they are done).  Then coat with a rib rub, I use a special rub that's about a dozen spices plus some sugar.  I smoke 'em over charcoal (NO GAS!) and some apple wood for about five hours at 250 degrees, they are fallin-off-the-bone tender, literally slip the bones out of the meat.  Baby backs and St. Louis spares both (the St. Louis spares take a bit longer)  I don't like to have to gnaw the meat off the rib bones, it should be THAT tender.   No juice, although I may give 'em a spritz of apple cider or some bourbon a few times during the cooking process to 'encourage' the flavor.   If you don't brine 'em they are still mighty good, just not quite as tender.  The steaming bit cooks 'em fine, but you lose some of the flavor - better off steaming them FIRST and then finishing them off with an hour's smoke and then moderately high heat on the grill for the final flavor and some char.

I refuse to eat ribs at a restaurant and so do my family and friends, once they've eaten my BBQ ribs.

PS I got a recipe for a Texas brisket just that good too.

Burlkraft

Wow Engineer......That sounds like an invite for ribs to meeeeee :D :D :D

Burlkraft

Wow Engineer......That sounds like an invite for ribs to meeeeee :D :D :D

Between ribs and nanners now I'm hungry......And there's nuthin' in the fridge >:( >:(

amberwood

at least you guys are at home....I have to sit at work and read this.

The leftovers for lunch from last night looks very average in comparison.

hungry.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Norm

Hey Jon I'd like to hear your Texas brisket recipe, mine always comes out tasty but tough. :)

Engineer

Well, the brisket is similar actually, you take a beef brisket, preferably a whole brisket, but if you have to use just half I'd use a flat and not a point cut, the point is thick to thin and cooks unevenly.   Don't brine the beef, it sucks up too much salt and you feel like you're eating beef bacon or something.    Anyway, coat it with the same yellow mustard, then use a mixture of black pepper, coriander, garlic and some celery seed, maybe a touch of kosher salt, as the dry rub.   You build a fire that'll keep the smoker temp at about 275 degrees, this will almost be an overnight cook.   I've done brisket for 8-10-12 hours, depending on size, you want to let it go until internal temp is 160 degrees.   No mop, no sauce during the cooking, it will burn.  You'll get a nice smoke ring and the beef will be as tender as you can imagine.  Key is to slice across the grain as well.  Eat with your choice of sauce, I make a sauce that uses root beer and tomato juice as its' primary ingredients.  Not purist, but we all like it.

EDIT:  I plumb fergot, you need to take that brisket off the smoker when it's done and wrap it up tight in heavy-duty aluminum foil and a towel and let it sit and rest for about 20 minutes or so.  The resting finishes the cooking process.

Now you got me all talking about it, I guess I need to smoke one up.   8)

Norm

Umm umm sounds good I'll have to give the mustard style a try next time. :)

Thurlow you need to hitch that up and vacation in Iowa, I have the perfect parking spot for you. ;)

thurlow

Mister Norm (comes easily to the tongue, since I've watched Mister Norm Abrams all these years);  guess I'll have to pass,  although part of the reason for the rib cooking is coming through  Iowa Saturday.  This is my (much) younger brother and his 5 year old

taken last fall when we were splitting wood.   There's also a wife, 12 year old daughter and MOTHER-IN-LAW;  going to Yellowstone and environs for 2 weeks.   I think he's lost his mind.........2 weeks in a Surburban with a 5 year old and a m-i-l, but it's happening.

ScottAR

Engineer:
How long do you brine the ribs?  Overnight or is that too long?

I just gotta try this soon...   :P

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

sandman2234

vinegar slaw????

You northern guys are always messing up good food by adding Vinegar.
    I was doing great druelling all over the keyboard till you mentioned that, and my tongue just dried up.
       Back to the fridge to see what is here, since the rest of it made me hungry.
            David from Jax

Kcwoodbutcher

Just a little info on the pineapple juice--it contains an enzyme called papain, the same ingredient in store bought meat tenderizers, it breaks the bonds holding the proteins together. Those pics are making me hungry.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

getoverit

Ive been par boiling ribs for years in salt water prior to cooking them on the grill... looks like I gotta make me one of them racks and try some that have been steamed with pinapple juice !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Engineer

I brine for six to eight hours.  Overnight should be OK.    Parboiling removes all the flavor from the meat.

ScottAR

Perfect...  I could start em the night before and sleep the tender into em...
;D

Many thanks... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!