iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do any foresters read this forum?

Started by Alta, June 14, 2006, 01:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alta

just curious as I got more communications about posting pics than anything else. No worries -  problem  solved and I was right about it - just thought  a forester might weigh in... oh well.

Tom

Yes, foresters do read this forum and help those who ask questions.  As a matter of fact, one answered you even though he had to go through a lot of red tape to look at the picture that you refused to put on the forum gallery.  I thought he went beyond what should have been expected and he didn't even get a thankyou.

Alta

What I got was a suggestion to consult a forester which is what I hoped I was doing.  I'll try to find time to learn how to post pics here since you don't like pics in posts or links to pics - my apologies for not taking the time earlier; its something I've intended to do for a while.

As far as an answer to the question about an Ipps type infestation in P.Pine, I found it by doing some research which is always best anyway. I just thought someone might weigh in on that specifically given the name of this forum.

I also think its healthy to consider questions and suggestions regarding the functionally of the forums as constructive input rather than summarily dismissing them with defensive, argumentative, or accusatory invective. Just a thought. 

Thank you for your response!

RT

David_c

I dont know what brought this on. But I know that this is one of the best forums for getting answers to questions. I know I have asked my share and was never anything but satisfied. Just a thought but from your attitude in this thread maybe you should remember you catch more flies with honey....

Alta

I have to agree Dave - this is at the post-honey stage, but my original post was not. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=19802.0  While I appreciate the response as a beginning of the dialog, it honestly can not be considered an answer to my question.

I'm just a bit curious about whether there are any professional foresters that actually check in here and answer questions, or if its more a matter of folks sharing anecdotal experiences (which are also very valuable but not what I was looking for here).

I think its a fair question given the name of this forum and the volume of disinformation elsewhere on the net. I found my answers by doing several hours of research which is what I needed to do anyway.  I was just looking for a quick, reliable, accurate answer and since I regularly contribute to the chainsaw forum here I knew about this one and thought I'd give it a try. 

I know that Tom is peeved about the pic posting issue and I have learned my lesson on that, but that really doesn't address this question and pics weren't necessary for the process.

So my question remains and I'll make it more specific to avoid confusion:

Do any Registered Professional Foresters read this forum and answer the questions?

beenthere

Registered Professional Foresters get paid for their services. However, on this forum there are several who provide good information to the forum members without getting paid.

To me, answering specifics without knowing details is a recipe for getting the wrong answer to the person asking the question.

Alta, I think you are missing some of the real benefit of the FF.  Sorry for your frustration, but hope you stick around and hitch a ride.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

estiers

You know if a "real" forester is answering you by looking to the left and seeing that they have the forester logo put there by the admins under their name  (unless this has changed recently). 
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

crtreedude

I know that often people (especially professionals) will not venture a guess if there isn't enough information. I get questions all the time about growing trees in the tropics - but they are so vague often I don't know where to start.

Also, if I reply - they may consider that they have enough, and go ahead and do something - and then complain that I led them wrong.

A correct diagnostic requires data - lots of it.  I thought the reply - which is to seek out a local person - is a very good idea.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Alta

Thanks Estiers - I appreciate the clarification.

With respect to offering services otherwise compensated, I realize this and know several foresters I can consult and I have an AS in Forest Tech (although somewhat outdated ) so I'm fairly familiar with the process. The forum is called "Ask the Forester" hence my question.

I get paid to fix saws (among other things) but provide info whenever I can including faxing pages of manuals not otherwise available to the retail customer to other forum members because I believe in the concept of the forums. If the forum were called "Purchase Advice From the Forester" that would be another story.

Also it is not out of the question to answer the question with a question to clarify before answering the question. A dialog (such as the one we have here) is a good starting point to work toward a solution.  If the answer to a question placed in the "Ask a Forester" forum is to ask a forester, it seems like it kinda defeats the purpose to me. The question was a simple one that a forester could have easily addressed, so it occurred to me that maybe there aren't foresters reading this forum.

For those interested the answer is "yes", Ips sp. does attack pines. Maybe it was just a stupid question - Id forgotten this over he last 25 years and believed this to be a problem restricted to Firs.

I'm not bashing the forum, I was simply curious about what to expect here.

BTW the tree is down, affected area disposed of properly, and it was an Ips infestation. I'll be watching the tree's neighbors for any signs of infestation.  Stopping a beetle infestation is nearly impossible, but its my stand and I will do what I can. Basically anytime I see a dying top, I remove the tree and treat the affected areas - I hate to see a land owner ignoring the problem. This was just such a nice lagre otherwise healthy tree (130'+ Pinus Ponderosa with no appreciable competition and no defect) that I was reluctant to just drop it. I have thousands more, but I liked this one - guess Im a tree hugger at heart. TSI (for the sake of a healthy stand - not $$)  is a passion of mine - that and fixin chainsaws  ;D

Jeff

Some of our admins are also Foresters but carry the title admin. We also have working foresters out there that do not have the tag on their name.

Many of our member foresters do more then sit around answering questions on the forestry forum. They check in often, but sometimes its more then one or two days, so an unanswered question for that time period should not be used for the insinuations that you are making.  Let me assure you there is nothing wrong with this Forestry Forum. Thousands of people come here and get answers or answer questions and make friends and even new business associates. Those folks that make the most of the forum understand that built in "attitudes" get them no where here.  Seems that chainsaws sometimes must vibrate ones social skills, because that seems to be the trend over the past 6 VERY successful years here.

I suggest a new saw with some built in vibration damper and a chill pill and reading the forum rules so you can find that the Forestry Forum always returns what one puts into it. Something like a mirror.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mr Mom

Jeff..... if it is like a mirror than i must put in some ugly stuff ;D ;D ;D beacuse what i see in the mirror is not pretty :o :o :o.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Texas Ranger

I will respond, I saw your original post and thought it best if one of the west coast foresters answered, you got an east coast forester to answer.  But, three days seems to a long span for you, since the original question was posted on the 11th.  My experience with ips is, they don't move that fast.  Patience is a virtue.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

Well, I'm the guy that answered your original question.  I could have left it dangle, but I gave it a shot.  What do I know about Ipps and ponderosa pine?  About as much as my West Coast counterparts know about gypsy moth and red oak.  I could have researched for 2 hours like you did and reached the same conclusion.

It seems to me that forestry advice is probably a little better when its closer to home.  That's why service foresters and extension agents are probably a pretty good bet to give you a quick answer.  They know if the problem is what you think it is or if you're off base.  They're in your backyard, I'm not.

Sorry you didn't like the answer. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Stephen_Wiley

I have not been on line for awhile so this is my first response.

You claim that 'Ips spp.' is the causal agent.  Yet these bugs tend to be secondary, unless in endemic proportions. Did you id them by egg gallery?  Are you aware that they have 3 to 5 generations (a year) based upon specific genera.  Further they also can be mistaken for other dendro spp. Usually they are only present due to tree weakening by black stain fungus, microclimate alterations and other sap, heart rot organisms present.   

Simple diagnosis of 'Ips' without examination of other potential causes will not be helpful to you in maintaining a healthy stand.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Alta

I have to agree but to my knowledge the only practical means of controlling the situation is to remove the affected trees. Its a tenuous situation at best and a lot of work. But to my mind beetles and beetles and I have to do what I can. I've read about injecting beneficial bacteria cultured from worm casings and various spraying methods but none of this seems practical. Fortunately I have an otherwise health stand and I found no obvious stressors on this tree which is part of the mystery.

Would black stain fungus be the same as Black Staining Root Disease? We have Verticicladiella wageneri in our area but I have seen no evidence of it in my stand and as I recall it affects Doug Fir. Are you referring to L. wageneri? If so what indicators should I look for, and what can you do about it? I saw no evidence of any staining in the stump or crross section I cut. I wasnt looking for it but I just reviewed about 100 pics and iits not there.

I ID'd the bugs by the damage and pics of various beetles and no I'm not entirely certain its Ips and even if it is there are a lot of Ips species. Frankly some of the bugs looked like some of the Dendroctonus sp. and its all a bit confusing for a novice like me when trying to nail it down, but like I said, all I know for sure is the more live bugs I get rid of the better and that's what I'm trying to do without clear cutting my stand.

I'm quite open to suggestions.

Thanks for the input -

RT

nyforester

Yes - Foresters do visit these forums, from time to time !!

Healthy trees are not affected by normal insect infestation. They have the ability to fend off the little critters. Healthy trees are affected by severe insect infestation such as gypsy moths as one extreme example.
I would suspect your tree or trees are suffering from lack of water, nutrients, age, ect. It might also be the stand is too dense and is in need of a thinning.

Phorester

I'm just a bit curious about whether there are any professional foresters that actually check in here and answer questions, or if its more a matter of folks sharing anecdotal experiences (which are also very valuable but not what I was looking for here).

Counting me, At least 4 Professional Foresters in this thread, including the one who gave you the first answer (Ron Wenrich) have posted over 5,800 messages to date on this website.  Granted not all are forestry advice, but I'd say over 90% are.  That's only 4 out of Lord knows how many more Foresters actively participate on this website.

I'm not bashing the forum, I was simply curious about what to expect here.  Pretty much what you put into it........... 

dundee

etat

Musta been way over a year ago I asked about planting some yard trees and also  the best way to handle some sasfrass sprouts that was coming back up from the roots from some badly damaged sasfrass trees I had cut when I built my house.  Hard red clay in my yard and it was getting close to summer and I was really worried about em. 

As I remember it I got tons of advice and not only planted the trees and they are growing and doing well.  That is  except for 'one' dogwood tree I planted.  Out of about 20 trees I planted I expect thats a pretty good ratio to still be alive and doing well. 

Oh, also as I rember it it was Phorester that told me what to do about and how to trim the safrass sprouts for a better chance of survival rates and his advice must have been spot on because they are REALLY doing well.   THANKS PHORESTER!   

::) About the dogwood I lost...........I expect that it would have probably have made it too except for a little accident.  It seems  that youngest boy of mine 'mighta' got too close to it with a weedeater. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

UNCLEBUCK

I understand all your questions charles because you explain yourself very well .  My relative has a 8 year degree in mineral technology/mining  and even he knows when to can the terminology crap .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Texas Ranger

Ya know, phorester, with all us foresters kinda semi agreeing on this, it is a DanG miracle.  Aint 2 foresters I know of that agreed on much. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

I thought I'de just poke my nose in this here door and see what all the camotion was about.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

You're welcome, CTATE.  Glad it worked out for you.

TEXAS RANGER, Yep. 

Riles

I've come to realize the reason foresters have trouble agreeing is because the statement "It depends" comes up so DanG often.

The other phrase, at least in the south, is "Burn it!"  :D
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!