iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poison Ivy or Oak

Started by RichlandSawyer, June 13, 2006, 02:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichlandSawyer

Hey All,

I was just curious what the occurance of this pesky weed is in different parts of the US and around the world.
Here in Iowa you cant swing a dead cat without hitting poisony ivy. I have just gained access to a 30 acre plot that i can select cut hardwood trees from, problem is that like most wooded areas around here every third tree is wrapped with poison ivy and the ground is covered knee deep in it.  Its sad when i see a perfect walnut tree and cant touch it. This lot is goign to be cleared for housing and what i dont take will go to firewood guys and then the dozer.

Anywho i was just wondering who else battles the poison weeds. I would like to here from you folks in europe, nz and aus. as well as the us and canada folks.

Thanks
Richland Sawyer
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

submarinesailor

RichlandSawyer,

On my place in Madison County, VA, I have cut poison ivy vines that were over 4" in diameter.  There are areas when the ground cover is knee deep in the stuff.  So, I know exactly what you are saying.

BTW – TECNU is still the best stuff I have found to treat it/wash it off of you.

Bruce/subsailor

Mr Mom

I use round-up and spray,spray and spray.
    I see it from my windows.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Ron Wenrich

Its pretty site specific in this part of PA.  The worst cases are found in wet areas, especially along creek banks.  You'll find it in other areas, but it is more of a nuisance than a problem. 

My wife used to get it from washing my clothes. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

crtreedude

NJ has tons - hairy looking vines going up trees. Thankfully, I am almost immune to the stuff.

And no, I won't help you get that walnut!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Burlkraft

I was out in shorts and a tee shirt weed whackin' it yesterday. We got it bad here in this part of WI. I took a shower right after with technu and I have minimal outbreaks ::) ::) ::)

Some times my ambition overpowers my intlligence ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

red

I was told that if you feed the vines to goats  then drink the goats milk

you will not get the rash ....  or become immune

it was told to me by a power and light lineman

dont know if it is true  ....  I dont get poison ivy
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

rebocardo

I take a weedwacker to it and when it grows up with wild rose flora "whatever" I take a pole saw to the whole mess and chop the overhead down. Afterwards I wash up with Go-Orange (mechanic hand soap), it seems to take care of most of it. Then more Go-Orange when I get home followed with rubbing alcohol.

What I do if I know I am taking the tree down, is go around with a string trimmer and then the pole saw and basically girdle everything up to five feet. Then when I come back in a week, everything has died and it makes it much easier to deal with pulling the stuff away and down.

What I have found is your right arm, underneath, collects the most ivy and stuff from the sawdust being thrown back.

What  I have learned is be careful when cutting thick vines from a tree, sometimes the girdling vines are the only thing holding the tree up  :o

gary

I don't get it . The yard at my camp had more poison ivy in it than grass last year.  I just take the weedeater to it and don't worry about it.

Burlkraft

Obviously you have never had your whole body swell up and turn red and ITCH >:( >:( :D :D

Mr Mom

The goat thing reminds me of the time that dad thought he would be nice and put the goat in a nice patch of clover for once and that goat almost hung itself trying to get to the weeds and poison ivy :D :D :D.
     I get it a couple times a year from when i cut firewood.
     One way to get rid of it that i found to work is to go work in the hay mound when it is very hot outside :o :o :o sweat it out.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Burlkraft

Mr. M.
That sounds like work :D :D :D

thecfarm

We have poison ivy here in Maine,but  I've never seen it climb a tree.I'm not saying it don't,but it don't on my land.In the open it grows close to the ground,on the edge of the woods it will get knee high.I keep slowing it down with round-up.Next to impossible to kill.I just keep on spraying everytime I see it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

It is everywhere here.  It grows in both bush and vine form.  I cut down a cherry that was as much PI as cherry.  Someone mentioned technu and it does work if you use it before the rash develops.  However, check the active ingredient.  It is mineral spirits!  I have been told that rinsing in mineral spirits dissolves the oils and is much less expensive.  I will try it the next time I have to deal with the stuff.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

isawlogs

Thats one thing I have not had yet ... and its one thing I stay away from ,  ;) We dont have much of it around here or at dads , but , at the new place .. boy theres lots of it there .

What is mineral spirit ...  my dictionary dont have it in there , sure would like to know cause there might be a use for it in the near futur .  :D :D :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

Marcel , that's paint thinner.

I haven't seen any poison ivy in years, thank goodness. I got it real bad as a kid.

Now that I've said that, it will appear out of nowhere and choke out the trees like the bindweed tries to ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom

we don't have poison ivy in Florida...  HA HA...   HO HO...    hee hee heee........

isawlogs

OH  ,  :o :o :o  I guess I will be real careful of not getting near the itchie stuff , paint thinner ..  :o  I always have a open wound some wheres  ::) , most of the time its only a scratch or slite openning , so paint thinner is out of the question , So ... why is paint thinner called ... mineral spirit , You guys come up with those to confuse the foreigners  ::)

Not that you need to come up with new ones to confuse me with .  :D :D :D  I can normaly do that on my own .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Marcell,
In Europe they refer to it as White Spirits.
Other names for the same or similar petroleum derived light spirits are Mineral spirits, high flash naphtha, petroleum distillate fractions, Stoddard solvent, among others.  The flash points may be different for some of these others but they are pretty much the same except for the amount of refining.

JimBuis

I can tell you that poison ivy grows in abundance in Illinois, Missouri, Louisiana, and Maryland as I have lived in these states and had to deal with it there.  I saw it on the ground and in vine form in the trees in each place.  I don't think I have ever seen it here in Japan.

I used to get it as a kid because I always played in the woods.  However, I never had it very bad.  However, my daughter swells up so badly with it that we had to take her to the doctor a couple of times to get a shot.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Burlkraft

But Tom.....you got spiders and snakes and gators smiley_spider drop smiley_spider drop

Give me Ivy I say :D :D :D

Mr Mom

Burlkraft is right the ivy wount bite you or eat you.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Part_Timer

We have lots of ivy round here and down on  the farm.  I don't worry about it cause I don't get it.  My wife gets me to do the pullin of it in the flower beds.

Now  the poison oak is another matter.  All I have to do is be in the same zip code and I seem to get it.  Last year when we took the boys to scout camp I had it so bad I needed to see the doc for a steroid pack to get rid of it. 

Camp is near Angola IN and I'd about have to say it is the poison oak capitol of the world.  At least it seems so to me. :D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

pigman

Since Florida doesn't have any poison oak, I will dig some up and mail it to Tom to plant. ;) Don't want those folks down there to feel left out.
We have quite a bit of the stuff here on the farm. It doesn't bother me, but the wife can look at a picture of it and break out in a rash. :( When cutting trees with poison oak on them, I just pull it off with my bare hands if the vines are small or cut them with the saw if they are large.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

gary

Good idea Pigman. everyone that has poison ivy or oak should mail some to Tom. It will help him keep us northerners up here where we belong .

Tom

Yeah, That's a good idea.   :D :D

My address is :

#1 Nairobi Path
Kenya, Africa
zip 92... uh 3.... uh... 57 ....uh  ...965 ....29336 .. 3

D._Frederick

Mix some CROSS-BOW with the ROUND-UP and spray in the late fall for the best results. On the big vines that you cut-off, brush on straight out-of the can mixture on the stump.

Flurida_BlackCreek

What Tom's not telling you is about the man eating plants we have. Ever see the movie "little shop of horror"? Where do you think they got that plant from?
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Weekend_Sawyer

Leaves of three, let it bee
Leaves of four, eat some more. smiley_goofy_face
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ellmoe

I think you might have missed a bit of sarcacism in Tom's post. Why do you think the gators, snakes, and spiders are so mean down here...the poison ivy's driving them insane!

About 10 years ago I was cruising a swamp and forced my way through some bad vegetation. I was very hot, I was very tired, and I was ready to go home. I couldn't find a trail so I just lowered my head and forced my way through. Surprise! Surprise! There was a little poison ivy mixed in there. By the next day my eyes and mouth had almost swelled shut, and my fingers had grown webs! :o I was some kind of miserable. My bro-in-law is a doc, and he gave me shot of cortisone. Miracle! 8) The itching stopped in seconds, and I watched my body transform back to normal. It was like a reverse werewolve transformation in an old B movie! Now , whenever I have a bad case of PI . I look for the cortisone. :)

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Flurida_BlackCreek

I like to rap my hammock in it when we go campin, that way nobody bothers my hammock.  ;D

Throw a little Florida Fire weed and poison sumac around the campsite and intruders either stay out or get a surprise. It is nice to be able to roll around in the stuff and not be affected.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

beenthere

I used ter be able to roll around in it, with no reaction. Then slowly but surely the resistance broke down at about 35 years.  Now, I avoid it if possible, but practice washing the skin off within two hours of known contact, and even got in the habit of washing my hands after tying my workboot laces.  Just a habit now.  Very little problem, but I avoid having it in my hammock.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fat olde elf

I used to buy Technu products in large quantities whole sale (in an earlier life) They are excellent.  Ask my wife about her poison ivy problems, she will be at the Pig Roast
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

solodan

No poison oak around my place, cause we are above the elevation that it thrives at. In the lowlands though it is another story, it grows everywhere thick all year long. Some of my favorite fishing spots in the low country are accessed either by fighting your way through a poison oak jungle, or by the alternative route through the tall grass and fighting off the rattle snakes.

beenthere

What is the difference between poison ivy and poison oak?  (other than the name  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jon12345

Never had a problem with poison ivy, but I rolled in some hogweed workin on a car last summer  >:(

The sap alone won't really bother you, getting the sap on you and laying in the sun causes hideous blisters and feels great too. People who have severe reactions  have had to get amputations or have gone blind from getting it in their eyes. 

Another one of those gems someone imported.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

RichlandSawyer

Jon that would be "wild parsnip" the sap from the plant actually removes the stuff in our skin that blocks UV rays so you get a real nasty sunburn real fast. There are some ditches around here that it looks like you could walk on top of the parsnip there is so much.

So back to the original question, is poison ivy a worldwide plague? do you folks in europe and downunder have to deal with it climbing all over your trees?

Paschale

I get Poison Ivy something fierce...and each time I get it, it seems to get worse.  The last time I had it, my brother said the blisters on my leg were the grossest thing he's ever seen.   ::)  My other brother has some on his property, and he's been using roundup, the brush kind, and it seems to be working.  But I won't go near the dog at his place, and the kids all know to keep the dog away from me.  

I'm not much of an intrepid explorer when I'm tromping through the woods...my eyes are always peeled at the vegetation in unfamiliar areas.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

beenthere

"Giant hogweed is similar to wild parsnip in that it contains chemicals that cause severe blistering when skin is exposed to sunlight after coming in contact with the plant. "

We have the wild parsnip, which I got into a few years back just mowing it, and apparently the wind blowing the cut parts back on me. Really deep wounds that wrapped my head and face up bad. I was even more scary looking than I am now.  :)  I read that the giant hogweed is being found in Iowa now.   :(
south central Wisconsin

RichlandSawyer

Oh ok i think what your talking about is stinging nettles also known as horseweed or hogweed or itchweed. If you get that one on you try using babywipes to sooth the pain works very well.

beenthere

rich
I don't think stinging nettles are the same as giant hogweed. Nettles are more of a nuisance and the sting doesn't seem to turn into the infection and blisters.  This hogweed and parsnip makes poison ivy blisters seem tame in comparison.
Here is an ISU article I found when searching both 'hogweed' and 'wild parsnip'.

hogweed and wild parsnip link

The wild parsnip is becomming a problem in Wisconsin. Hadn't heard of hogweed before, but it sounds like a similar beast.
south central Wisconsin

bushhog

I've got a ton of both poison oak and poison ivy on my property.  Some of the ivy vines are 4-5" in diameter.  I've been cutting the vines at the base of the trees to free up the trees and using full strength Remedy to paint the ends of the vines once they are cut.  I use the Remedy to also spray the poison oak.  Remedy seems to be alot more effective on this stuff than Roundup.

I am usually not bothered by either, but did inhale some of the dust from cutting the vines one time and had a bad hack in the ol chest for awhile.  Not sure if the hack was related to the poison ivy I cut or the locust I was cutting.  I try to hold my breath and keep the ol trap shut when cutting either now.

I ran into a guy recently that had a bad case of the rash and he told me he would scratch the infected areas on his skin till they bled and then put straight clorox on the wounds - said it worked for him.  Not sure I would recommend this treatment though.

I hope that danG Hogweed doesn't move in on me - that stuff sounds like it is bad news.  I'm already dealing with russian olive, PI, PO, multiflora rose, and oriental bittersweet and don't need any more danG invasives.  I put out 175 gallons of Remedy spray last weeked on the worst areas I have - Die Baby Die!!!

DanG

Beenthere, P. oak and P. Ivy are two different things.  The ivy is a vine and the oak is a small, woody weed that does not climb.  I'm sensitive to both, but P. Oak affects me a lot worse.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Giant Hogweed is another invasive species and some "bad" stuff. Don't touch or handle the plants using bare hands as it will cause severe blistering.

It has been found in 12 Lower Michigan Counties and 1 Upper Michigan County.

~Ron

Bill

DanG PI affects me pretty quick - even from a distance. Was carrying a cut log a few winters back and got PI on my neck cheek and ear from the vine in the dead of January ! Lady I Knew some several years back got it in her lungs when she was a kid - seems she was down wind when her Dad and brother burned out a creek bottom - almost killed her.

Yep its around here pretty much - my cheap solution(s) are to spray the leaves with either clorox  or a vinegar/heavy salt solution - both seem to work though probably not nearly as quick as the high dollar stuff and will sometimes need two, three, more applications.

Frank_Pender

Sorry, DanG, but Poison Oak does climb.  I let it grow here. porlificaly.  I let the bees gather the nector for honey.  I also make walking sticks from the larger stems, when Ihve an order for such.  I even have a tree that is 6" in diameter. 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!