iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carriage wheels on homemade mill?

Started by thompson1600, June 12, 2006, 11:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompson1600

What wheel system have you found to be best on a homemade mill?  Any brand specific recommendations?  Any specific systems work better than others (trying to avoid making common pitfall mistakes)?

I am looking at making a 4 post style mill.  It will have a chainsaw at first until I can get the bandsaw type mill info perfected.
Stihl Saws | 026 Pro | MS270 | MS360 | 038 Magnum | 066 Magnum | 084

RichlandSawyer

I am using v-groove casters on my mill. I purchased them from McMaster Carr. I think they were $18 or $20 each. They run on top of angle iron.
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

edsaws

I'm also using V-groove casters got mine here http://www.acecasters.com/products/v-grooves.html
scroll to bottom of page. They work good and have a grease fitting on them.

joelmar10

Quote from: thompson1600 on June 12, 2006, 11:50:11 PM
What wheel system have you found to be best on a homemade mill?  Any brand specific recommendations?  Any specific systems work better than others (trying to avoid making common pitfall mistakes)?

I am looking at making a 4 post style mill.  It will have a chainsaw at first until I can get the bandsaw type mill info perfected.

Are you using plans or seat of your pants?
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

mike_van

The seat of one's pants can get awful thin with trial & error -  :D   So can the bank account!    >:( Hey, check out Surplus Center for things like V groove wheels, chain, etc.  Good prices there.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

155gunner

8)  I am new here, in fact this is my first post or reply, but in answer to your inquiry about the casters, I got mine from Cisco-Eagle Inc at WWW.cisco-eagle.com   and they were really inexpensive.  I am using 5" cast steel v-grove wheels with bearings and grease fittings and only paid $6.80 each.  In fact the shipping cost just about as much as the casters.  They work great on my homemade mill.

Regards

Larry

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

Welcome to the forum,155gunner.

I had the pleasure of watching a 155 crew fire their weapon on a range at Fort Benning in 1961.  It was quite an impressive exhibition.  It looked like a watermelon exited the barrel and left the range we were on, to impact another range further out.  We didn't see it land, but were told it was on target.  We did get to see the 105 fire and impact on our range.  we saw ladder and bracketing target acquisition as well as a single well placed round targeted from a previously determined fire control point.  We saw a delayed, penetrating round, air bursts, surface bursts and a great show when the crew fired straight up, cranked the barrel down, fireing on-line, and hit a sheet spread on the side of the hill with both rounds at the same time.  There was hardly any interval between explosions.

I was super impressed.

155gunner

Thanks Tom and Getoverit for the warm welcome to the forum.  A lot of good info on this site and a lot of interesting conversations.   :)  Tom, you are pretty well versed in the capabilities of a 155 and 105 howitzer.  My time on the guns was a little later than 1961 but they were the same guns.  I was a gunner in Vietnam 69-70 and during that time we probably shot 10,000+ rounds from my piece alone. I have done every kind of firemission imaginable.  We wore out the tubes on two 155's.  Compared to the artillery of today the ones in the 60's and 70's were quite primitive ,using the same technology that was used prior to WW2 and later. 

Again, thanks for the welcome.  As soon as I can figure out how to post photos I will share pictures of my mill .

Larry

wiam

I can not remember where I got my V-groove rollers.  They have a plastic bushing and a grease fitting.  DO NOT GET THESE.  I wish I got some with bearings.  I have pushed other mills with bearings and they push easier.

Will

jrokusek

I wound up ordering some 4x2 v-groove casters off Ebay. $31.64 shipped to my door - not bad for a set of 4.  His username was gokartmaker.  His actual business is Casters & Industrial Supplies
11646 Pendleton St. , Sun Valley, Ca. 91352
Phone (818) 252-0878 Fax (818) 252-0978

Here are some other good places:
http://www.castercity.com/vgroovew.htm
http://www.acecasters.com/products/v-grooves.html  <---- scroll to the bottom for cheap ones

If you swing over to http://www.diybandmill.com you'll see some guys that used 2 v-groove casters and 2 flat ones, a guy that used an angle grinder to make a set, etc.   Lots of good folks there too. 

Jim

Shawn

I'm using these from surplus center. Simular to the hudson style.

Roller with Bearing

Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

nicole

155Gunner..........Thankyou for manning our gun!!!!

richard

Thank You Sponsors!