iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greetings from a South Mississippi mill owner

Started by paparex2, June 12, 2006, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paparex2

Just joined the forum and wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I guess you can say hurricane Katrina put me in the sawmill business. I had to many pines down I did not want to see go to waste and refused to sell them for less than scrap prices. On twenty five acers I had around 200 trees down 12 inches and better.
I bought a Woodmizer LT10 in September (it's a great little mill but to small for my project) and managed to cut around 12,000 bf. So in october after much debate I ordered a Timberking 1600 but did not take delivery till march of this year. Still cutting on my own logs but have stopped several weekends to go make a little money to help pay for the mill.
One thing I did learn about the LT10 is dont put a 29" log on it. I managed to get it cut up into 1x12 but it was almost to much for a old country boy to handle and would not have if I had not fixed a log turner on the back of the tractor(amazing what you can do with the hook off a cant hook, a piece of chain and a gin pole).
ya'll keep up the good work I've learned a lot reading your post.

sprucebunny

Welcome to the Forum, paparex2  :)

I'm glad you got a sawmill but sorry about your trees. What ya gonna build with all that wood ???

Yup. Rolling logs that size on a manual mill is a challange :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Brad_S.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 8)

If you've lurked long enough, you know the "are you or are you not a g-rits lover" question will soon come up, but being from Mississippi, I suppose it's not even necessary to ask it.  ::) :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

brdmkr

Yeah, welcome.  I spent a good bit of time in Mississippi myself.  Great state.  Good grits in Mississippi!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Radar67

Welcome to the forum. What part of south MS you from? I'm just north of Hattiesburg.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jpgreen

Welcome to Sawdust Heaven..  8)

Never been to Misissippi but always wanted to go.  Spent a lot of time on the "Delta King" on the Sacramento river which is the identicle mate to your "Delta Queen" river boat paddlewheeler.

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

UNCLEBUCK

Welcome paparex2 , bandmills are really awesome  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

paparex2

Sprucebunny:   I'm going to build a cabin with most of the lumber and plan to sell whats left over.

Radar67:  I'm located half way between Laurel and Collins in the Hebron Comunity.

tnlogger

welcome paparex2  the longer your here the harder it will be to stay away  :)
I havn't heard to many that had an lt10. how did it do on the small logs ?
I havn't heard to much about it from someone that has bought one.
  Just a good practical short review of how it did over all. :)
gene

gary

Hello  Nice to have you here. Lets here more about your mill.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum.Did you get any hyd with this Timberking 1600 to help load the logs and turn them?Whatever you have,you will have fun with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Radar67

PRex, you are within 15 miles of me. I'm just outside the Collins limit by the Veterans home.

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

lmbeachy

I am amazed at how many people down in the hurricane area bought mills or took trees to some mill. I was down in that area (Gulf coast of Texas) about two weeks after the hurricane to help clean up. We cut some beautiful trees up in fire place lenghts. It really made me feel bad to see some of the lumber going out to be burnt for nothing. Not even used for heat. Glad you decided to do something constructive with your trees.
hotfoot

thiggy

Welcome Paparex, and greetings from the suburbs of Bay Springs.  By the way, all mississiipians don't crave grits!
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

thiggy

Folks, I have a peculiar problem.  If you notice my recent post of a couple of minutes ago, there seems to be a typo in the last sentence, i.e "the cfarm brand".  Well, I don't know where it came from.  I really don't believe that I typed it in.  What I meant to say was "don't crave grits".  I immediately clicked on the edit feature and erased the incorrect words and re-sent the message.  Well, it came up again exactly as before.  Does anyone have any idea what is happening?
Sow your wild oats on Saturday night.  Sunday morning pray for crop failure!

Radar67

Thiggy, I'm pretty sure Jeff has set up the software to replace that particular word with that phrase as a running joke on one of the members.  ;)

Stew

Don K

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D     Logged on at lunch to check in and this was the first post I checked. Used the "new" option and started reading and about fell out of my chair. It's ok Thiggy, I just think it was the Boss again. :D :D ;D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Don K

:D :D :D :D   Oh , by the way paparex2, Welcome to the forum.     8) 8) 8) 8)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

tcsmpsi

I reckon Katrina and Rita prompted a lot of us to reconsider a great many things.  I had been thinking of a mill for many years.  Fortunately, when Rita blew in, I had just recently cut the most procrastinated, leaning trees away from the house.  Always having to cut a little here and there.  Utilized a lot for firewood, but seeing those long, straight runs...well, firewood just wasn't right. 

Now, we rode Rita out at the house, and I intentionally found me a good spot outside when she came in doing her thing.  Fortunately, we didn't lose many, but there is something about watching one's little piece of forest respond to 110+ mph sustained wind.

It is  indescribable as to the trees which were wasted.  Thousands just within my immediate range.

I had been working toward inching back into the woodworking part of the business after having inched away for the last 15 yrs.

It intrigues me to apply woodworking from the 'ground up'.

One of the driving forces inching me out was the quality of material becoming available.

So, papa, welcome to the forum!  (I've only been here a couple months)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

joelmar10

I just joined a while ago and in my intro thread the Boss got me too.  It was corn infection and then cfarm brand g___s.  I love this place!

Welcome, I think you'll love it here too!! smiley_mellow
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

thecfarm

I think if you spell it like this you can seek it by,gr-----its.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

The Boss is not a lover of g-rits, so you'll see all manner of replacement phrases. This is one of the more complimentary ones. :D Try typing L-O-L without the hypens. ;D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

timcosby

i bet da boss hasn't had grits (g-r-i-t-s) with sugar and butter.

Thank You Sponsors!