iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"a quality synthetic two-stroke oil"

Started by twoodward15, June 11, 2006, 02:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

Help!  I keep hearing everyone say to use a quality synthetic two stroke oil.  If anyone wants to send out a brand name that would be great.  is anyone running amsoil for milling with their saw???
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

pallis

MX2T, which is now Racing 2T is what I use.  I mix it 32:1, and have never had a problem. 

twoodward15

pallis

Auto Zone should have it.  It was hard to find when Mobile added the coloring and changed the name from MX2T to Racing 2T, but they seem to have lots of stock now.   You can also get it in quarts now.  As MX2T it came in pints.   I think it is about as good as it gets.  Castrol makes a 2 cycle synthetic that I've used, but it is hard to find. 

Alta

Im not sure what the advantage of synthetics would be - I am very satisfied with Stihl oils and they have a fuel stabilizer in the mix. At 50:1 you dont have carbon build up problems, you get the lube you need, minimal smoke, and it isnt all that expensive - why synhetics?

twoodward15

I'm milling with my saw and any little edge I can get is worth the investment I guess.  And besides everyone says to do it. lol.  Actually I'm just looking for the best product I can get.  The stabilizer is no good to me when I run through all my gas the same day I buy it!!!

Alta

I'll ask my stihl rep and post any info I get . Do you go through pistons and cylinders more often milling? I guess the saw must get hot and stay that way during long cuts - havnt really done any milling myself

beenthere

When Stihl says "to do it", then I will switch. But until the mfg puts their name on it, I will assume they are the ones with the most testing experience and the most 'trouble knowledge" under their belt to know if the synthetics out-perform the oils they package now.
Right now, I don't think "everyone" is saying to "do it".  Just the view from here.  I'm not interested in testing for them.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeape

i hope i'm not breaking site rules by posting this link, i get my mobil 1 mix from here

http://store.avlube.com/mob1mx2cycmo1.html       

i usually order 2 cases at a pop.

StihlDoc

Stihl now has a synthetic mix oil available only in the U.S.A., STIHL HP Ultra and is also biodegradeable.

maple flats

Another advantage to synthetic is less smoke. Even at 50:1 you make smoke and on a calm day you are breathing that in, it is often better for the saw, the environment and the operator. Not a bad combo.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

MDP

I just started using "Amsoil Saber" synthetic. They say you can mix it at 100 to 1 and not have problems but that's just a little too lean for me, right now I'm mixing at about 75 to 1 with premium gas, very little smoke if any, and the saw runs great so far. I run Stihl 046's and 460's. As far as where to get it you can order it online direct from amsoil or have your saw shop get some for ya.
Mark

Lorax

I've been using AMSOIL SABER synthetic for 2 years in my Husqvarna 3120XP and it has been working great.  I mix it at about 50 to 1 in premium gas since that was what the saw manual called for.

1953greg

i use the Mobile Racing 2T and Stihl orange bottle blended 50/50 and mixed 40:1.  virtually smokeless and perhaps the best of both worlds!  works for me.

good day   1953greg
good day    greg

parrisw

I ve been running the Amisoil Sabre professional now for a year, its a smokeless oil, they claim, I run at 50:1 and it never smokes that I can tell anyway.  I ve heard claims that its the best stuff around.  Im certainly happy with it.

Will

Raphael

Quote from: Alta on June 12, 2006, 08:58:09 AM
I'll ask my stihl rep and post any info I get . Do you go through pistons and cylinders more often milling? I guess the saw must get hot and stay that way during long cuts - havnt really done any milling myself

Yes and No.   :D
  According to Logosol's research a saw used for milling will actually last more running hours than one used in a general purpose or logging environment and be more easily rebuilt due to the nature of the wear.  It's like the difference between city and highway driving.
  However a saw used for milling is going to be operating many more hours a day than a general use saw so it won't last as many years.  The guys that seem to kill saws the fastest are using them to process firewood (from tree to stove length) in large quantities.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

weimedog

Choice number one for me is Mobil One MX2T. I have to ask the local AutoZone to order it...I get a couple of cases every summer for both the motorcycles and saws.

It wouldn't suprise me to find that Amziol STARTS with a Mobil One stock...actually I think a little research might be in order. Hummm where to find out that kind of info..

Mobil One is created in enough quantity we all get the "economy of scale" price advantage.

Choice number two is the Echo product that seems to be a good lower cost oil.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Trax

Amsoil and mobil are not for air cooled 2 strokes

weimedog

I guess that means my 1979 KTM420 (Air cooled old vintage race bike) and my 1982 Husqvarna XC430 (Air Cooled Race) should have died...but they are internally in excellent condition and I have been running Mobil One MX2T in them for as long as its been on the market place.

Same with my assorted old saws which include:
Husqvarna 365
Homelite XP1020A, C7, C5, Super77, S-XL925, XL903, XL800, XL12, 1130G, 707-G, and Super EZ
McCulloch 797 (which I using for milling..have milled over 3500 board ft of lumber with that 797) and last but not least McCulloch 660.

All my two strokes have been subjected to the Mobil One abuse but they all don't have a scratch on the piston or bore and none have "squeeked" because of oil starvation or lubrication issues.

Apart from my "imperical" data build over several years of use..here's what's on the Mobil One Racing 2T Bottle:

On the top: "Also Protects Snomobiles and Chainsaws"
On the back: "Provides outstanding performance in other 2 stroke, air cooled applications such as: Motor scooters, snowmobiles, chainsaws, and garden equipment"

Mobil One thinks its ok to use in aircooled applications, my experience is that it works extreemly well in both my water cooled motorcycles, aircooled chainsaws and motorcycles, I guess its ok to use in both water and aircooled bikes and my chainsaws too.

Its the best stuff you can buy at any price. Period.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

jjmk98k

I believe Husqvarna makes a new oil XP professional that is synthetic based.... might be worth a look...

yes , I am still alive...
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Cut4fun

Anyone here run Klotz? I am getting ready to switch to the 80% syn- 20% benoil blend for my faster saws. I have never had any problems with running my Poulan oil since 1994 in everything.  But I know the sawers running Nitro saws and alky saws and big comp woods port saws run  Klotz 100% syn and the 80/20 blend. Anybody else tried or using Klotz?

Thank You Sponsors!