iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Prices ?

Started by Warren, June 10, 2006, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

Yesterday I cut up a couple larger cedar logs that I bought.  Ended up with 200 to 300 bf of 1 inch cedar from 16" to 24" wide by 8 ft.  Also a few chunks 4" x 8", 4" x 9" and 3" x 10" by 3 to 4 long.  Cedar is not normally one of the more expensive woods. But there aren't so many cedar trees in this part of KY that large.  It's stickered sitting on racks in the barn.  Any idea what wider cedar is worth ?  Also, is there any call for thicker pieces of cedar for turning stock ?

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

twoodward15

That's pretty wide.  is it white or red cedar?  I can't see a reason it would be worth more than narrow stock unless you find someone that really wants or needs wide lumber.  maybe someone wanting to make a chest (if it's red) would like it to make single board sides and such.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

woodbeard

There didn't used to be much difference in the price of wide and narrow cedar, but the bigger trees are getting harder to find, and they often get doty ( dry-rotted ) in the middle when they get big. I absolutely charge a premium for wider stock in cedar. Check out Cedarman's website. ( link on main FF page ) His prices seem to reflect this as well.

Warren

Twoodward15,  It is Eastern Red Cedar.  You hit the nail on the head.  I'm not certain if there is a premium market for wider material or not. 

Woodbeard,  Thanks for the reference to Cedarman's site.  That helps some with the pricing aspect.  Yes,  the butt log still had some soft material in the middle even after I trimmed off the bottom 4 ft.  The second log up had the best/clearest material.  Third and fourth logs still had a fair yield of clear material (versus the "fence posts" I was sawing earlier in the week...)

Also, "Thank You" to someone here on the Forum (can't remember who) for discussing opening face strategies.  Somewhere in the last few weeks I read a post regarding taking the taper out of the worst face on the log to get the best yield/quality from the opposite face.  Used that tactic several times this week.  It works pretty well.   Probably second nature for the old hands.  But I'm still learning.  Lot's of good info here on the Forum.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

jkj

Quote from: Warren on June 10, 2006, 06:35:30 PM
... is there any call for thicker pieces of cedar for turning stock ?

Warren,

Although some people do turn eastern red cedar, it does not seem to be in demand by woodturners as much as other woods such as cherry or certain maples.  That's a shame, since it can be beautiful, especially when marbled with sapwood. 

I think there are a several reasons for the low demand.  One, ERC is so soft the surface of the end product is fragile compared to most other types of wood.  Second, it can take a lot of effort to get a perfect surface.  When face turning, the end grain tends to tear out easily requiring special techniques and razor sharp tools.  Also, it easily develops fine cracks when sanding, probably from too easily overheating.  (When I turn cedar bowls, I have had best results smoothing with cabinet scrapers rather than sandpaper.)

I saw only for personal use, but I cut most of the cedar I get into 4x4 for fence posts and the rest into random width 4/4 boards.   I've made some nice behive boxes recently as well as a beautiful mailbox post yesterday after a neighbor wiped out my pressure treated post with a minivan!

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

Tom

you have to find the right market.  Most Southern and Eastern Red Cedar seems to be used by rustic furniture makers, bowl turners and home craftsmen.

"Fine Furniture" type people usually consider it a liner or bottom for drawers and chests.  Rustic builders build the whole article with it.

Much of the problem probably has to do with availability.  Those "Fine furniture" guys are usually more acquainted with a store front where cedar isn't always in good supply.  The Rustic guys find little  sawmills and sawyers. :)

MotorSeven

JKJ,
Uh oh, am i supposed to feel guilty for "turning" my cedar trees into 10' house logs :D....i only need 220 of 'em ;D
RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Thank You Sponsors!