iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a 13" makita circular saw

Started by fjc, June 10, 2006, 09:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjc

I know they are hard to find but I would like to obtain one. If anyone has any info on how to get one (new or used) please let me know. Thanks

jpgreen

I was at a flea market about 10 years ago.  This was before I moved out of the big city, and I thought to myself I may need that sometime, but the guy wanted $80 bucks for it.

My butt is still raw over that one.. ::) .............:D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Max sawdust

They make a 13" ???
I am only aware of the 10 incher and the 16 incher ::)  The 10 incher on Amazon is well under $400.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Flurida_BlackCreek

I've never seen a 13" either. I picked up a 16" off ebay several years ago for $125, but someone absconded with it out of the back of my truck. I've seen a few in pawn shops but they always want more than I'm willing to pay for a wore out saw.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Raphael

Only thing I know of in the 13" range these days is the Bigfoot Big Boy 14".
Amazon is listing it at $789.99 :(
Bigfoot is supposed to make a real nice saw but you can pick up the Makita 16-5/16" new for $599 and used for $200-300, so it's a question of what's going to be most important to you.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

jpgreen

I'm sure he meant 16".

-for whoever needs to cut beams, I designed a GripperSaw beamsaw that will be showing soon.

Well, someone had to do it better..  ;D

Flurida_BlackCreek

Quote from: jpgreen on June 12, 2006, 02:14:16 AM
I'm sure he meant 16".

-for whoever needs to cut beams, I designed a GripperSaw beamsaw that will be showing soon.

Well, someone had to do it better.. ;D

Someone had to do what better?
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Raphael

Good question...
Better than a Prazi?  It's called a linear link.
Better than the Makita?  Try a Mafell  FSG 240 K (~25" circular saw).

The Mafell is intimidatingly huge but it's actually one of the easiest to control circular saws I've ever used.  Something about the Mafell's soft start just relaxes you into the cut and with that much blade, a cut started on line will follow straight through with little or no steering effort.  It's 9-5/8" cutting depth makes it the only circular saw that can hope sever a typical post or beam in a single pass.

Another tool (toy) for the "when I hit the lottery" list.  ;)

jpgreen -

I'd like to see how this "GripperSaw" is designed have you got a drawing or picture you can post?
Does it (or it's guide rail) actually grip the timber?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

jpgreen

Raphael...

I'll post info pictures on it as soon as I can. Yes, it actually clamps right on the timber with a twist of a handle, and makes it easy to cross cut, and remove. So it's pretty much as fast as a circular power saw, BUT more controllable.

I always build stuff out of need, or how's the phase... "Necessity is the mother of invention"?

Anyway the reason why it's better IMO is you don't have to screw or nail it down. It doesn't have a flimsy uncontrollable mount that makes an un-square cut. It doesn't tie up your wormdrive, or skill saw.  It's only limited by your bar length in regards to beam dimension. It will be affordable.                                                                 

ohsoloco

I remember using a 13" Makita circular saw when I did my timber framing apprenticeship.  It was a really nice size...better cutting depth than the 10" bigfoot, and not a monster like the 16"  ;) 

This is where I saw them for sale new, but they no longer seem to carry them  :-\  Perhaps Makita no longer makes them  ???

http://www.aloghomestore.com/index.html

Thank You Sponsors!