iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar

Started by dad2nine, June 09, 2006, 09:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

I'm new to saw milling, but would like to know if anyone could help me determine if this a fair price for cedar logs.

$500 per 1000 log foot, logs would be 10" or better small end.

Basicly I'm looking to cut out a cedar deck to go around my pool and build a Gazbo (SP) for the wife...

I don't have a good handle on calculating log yield either. Roughly how many board foot could I expect out of this load?

Thanks for your help...

Radar67

I did some figuring D2N.  :P

Based on a 10 inch log, 1000 feet long, it would cost you .22¢ a board foot using the Doyle Scale. Works out to 2250 board feet. On the International Scale, it works out to .12¢ a board foot for a total of 4039 board feet. On the small logs, you should get a little more than the Doyle Scale.

Now, the question is "Are the Logs worth it?" If it were me, I would ask myself a few questions,

1. Can I afford to buy enough for what I want to do?
2. Can I get them cheaper? ($220 mbf is a fair price in my book)
3. Does anyone close to home carry Cedar already processed? If so, what is their price and how does it compare to this price plus my labor?

You have to make the final decision of if it is worth it to you. I would pay that price for Cedar.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sawyerfortyish

I don't know about your neck of the woods but in mine a 10" cedar is huge. They just don't get that big. Most of the time its hard to get more than a 5x5 out of them. I'm not talking about the white cedar they have up north in Maine, Vt or NH. I talking about red cedar or as a lot of people call it airomatic cedar(I hate that name). 500 a mbf or .50 a foot is a lot for cedar. I think I would pay about the same as I pay for pine 220 a mbf.

Radar67

D2N, please clarify something. I understood your origional post to mean 1000 linear feet of logs 10 inches in diameter, is that what you meant by "1000 log foot"?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dad2nine

Yes 1000 Linear foot of 10" or better diameter Red Cedar logs, mixed length from 8' to 16 is what I understand the man to have told me.

I figured it to be 62.5 logs if they all were 16', that calculates to be $8.00 a log. But I'll verify for sure when I go to pick them up. I'll point at a 10" or better dia log that's 16' long and say to him, that log will cost me $8.00 correct? Just so were on the same page.

Thanks a lot for doing the calulations for me as far as expected board foot yeild.

Doyle Scale - 2250 BF - cost .22 a BF.
Internation scale - 4039 BF - cost .12 a BF
I think I could plan to yeild somewhere inbetween Doyle and International or around 3000 BF

That really helps me put this into prespective.

Thanks

By the way what is "mbf"? is that 1000 board foot?

Ron Scott

Yes, MBF is 1000 board feet.
~Ron

woodmills1

I cut a cedar back in october that I am now planing the lumber from.  I got 8   1x10's from the biggest log.  Definately the largest cedar I have seen in these parts.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodbeard

Cedar logs in these parts generally go for around $300-$350/MBF and are scaled on the Cedar log rule, which runs fairly close to the International rule. When sawing cedar, I usually get about the footage that the log is scaled at. Very little over-run.
Are you sure the price is per lineal foot? That seems unusual to me.

Thank You Sponsors!