iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

septic system "homemade" for cabin

Started by sbishop, June 09, 2006, 08:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, anyone of you installed your own septic system for your cabin? anyone use a 55gallon plastic barrel?

Thanks for any help or suggestion

Sbishop

IL Bull

Yep,  I used two barrels.  The first barrel is used to separate the solids,  inlet is towards the top..
Then I installed a pipe half way(this separates any thing that floats) down to feed the outlet tank.  Pipe from the outlet tank to the fields comes out towards the top of the second barrel.  I have been running this system for five years with no problems.  This system is hooked to 40 foot of field.
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

bull

our camp system is 14 years old.  Full Bath in camp. sinks and shower are piped out into a grey water dry well.
Toilet is piped to a 55 gallon drum for solids and the out pipe runs 35 feet to Splash out/dry well..... System works amazingly well..... checked tank a couple years ago and only had about 8 inches of solids on the bottom. All was left in place, bacteria was doing its job and didn't want to mess w/ it...

Weekend_Sawyer

At our cabin in WV we made our own tank. We dug a pit 6' deep and abut 8' round, in that we framed in a 5.5' square and poured a floor 4" pad and then built a block container the inside was 4' square and about 5' high. Made another concrete pad for the lid, punched in the inlet and outlet, painted the inside with epoxy paint and we have a nice tank that will not crush if someone accidently runs over it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Mooseherder

We had planned on using a plastic barrel then opted to use a old 200 gallon metal tank that someone offered up along with  some drainfield pipe that was wrapped with packing peanuts and plastic mess to hold the peanuts in for our drainfield at the camp.
Still gotta haul water though until we spring for a well. ;D

We use a plastic barrel buried on the side of the house for the Clothes Washer discharge because it was messing up our drainfield. No problems with the drainfield since. (2 years)

Jeff

We did just like weekend sawyer did for the cabin tank. Our out house has a plastic drum half buried in the cement floor with the seat mounted on it. We have a deal that the septic pumper guy that lives down the road swings in on occasion and pumps the barrel for $40 bucks a year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Make sure you add a baffle (90 degree elbow turned downward)  to all pipes going in and out of the tanks.

Weekend_Sawyer

Our outlet from the tank is a T so if the lower inlet gets clogged the tank will fill up a few more inches and then flow into the top of the T. So far so good.

Plumbers need to know 3 things.

1. Payday is on Fiday.
2. It all flows down hill.
3. Never EVER chew your fingernails!

Jon

pappy

WOW you guys are lucky  :o  :o  :o in Maine you have to have a soil scientist design a system... if you get caught BIG fines and you still can't poop  >:( the CEO lives next door and likes to snowshoe around "outback" he has 40 acres adjacent to our 50 and he gets lost sometimes  ::)... just can't take a chance  :(... The first little camp now the bunkhouse we had a 55 barrel over head gravity feed to a sink draining out to a 5 gal pail upside down and dug down about one foot under the surface and a 2" pipe dumping into it... I could drain off about 35 gals of water before it would back up into the sink...

Quote from: bull on June 09, 2006, 08:27:54 AM
System works amazingly well..... checked tank a couple years ago and only had about 8 inches of solids on the bottom. All was left in place, bacteria was doing its job and didn't want to mess w/ it...

something I'm gonna try in the out house this year is called "Bio-Clean" http://www.statewidesupply.com/  sounds promising??? 

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

Our part of West Virginia is basically rocks with a little dirt mixed in. We do not have a drainage problem.
The inspectors don't come that far off of the paved roads.

pappy

Around here you get a building permit $20  you also have to get a plumbing permit $160 bucks  >:( ...  Had to have an soils engineer design a primitive subsurface wastewater system with privy $140 ::) ...

Got a backhoe from a friend, bought a couple loads of gravel, 4 infiltrators some 4" pipe and elbows, borrowed a transit and got a few friends to help... Built a  4 X 4 X 4 cedar tank for the privy... The next door neighbor CEO came down to take pics, look through the transit w/ me holding the rod then signed off the install... all total $800 bucks even before the camp sills were laid :o ... Had to be done though... :( Some say I got off cheap  ::) right... But all legal though

The way this system was designed was for a kitchen sink and a shower, 25 gals a day.  The water must be hand carried or hand pumped...  ::) I haul it from the house (3/4 mile) and pump it up using a $39.99  12Volt pump I got from Harbor Freight into a 55 gal barrel up in the loft... I can do this summer and winter...

Some day we plan to dig a well and pump up into a 100 gal container over head then set up like the RV's and camper trailers are... 12 volt on demand water pump, open a faucet and the pump turns on 40 psi... 6 gallon propane water heater and Pex plumbing... Will be styling then  8)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!