iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Floor Joice

Started by Randy, June 08, 2006, 07:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Question here-------any of you ever doubled--edge to edge some 2x6's to get a 2x12 to use for a floor joice?? I got a deal on about 20,000 bft of lumber(sawed w/bandsaw mill), there is about 400-- 2x4's and 300-- 2x6's all 16ft long. The rest in 1" boards and about 30 6x6's and some 4x4's. I can't seem to find anyone in my area to sell the 2x6's too---hate to waste them--------so I was thinking about putting the 2x6's on the mill and true them up--maybe end up with 2x5's then set one on top of the other for 2x10's, to make floor joices for a 24x60 cook house by the lake(No inspection). What you think? Thanks Randy

Radar67

Hey Randy,
     I spent 13 years in the construction industry and have never seen that done. I think your joist would be much stronger if you nailed 2 2x6 together to make 4x6 (make sure to off set the joints by half the length of the boards). Stacked on top of each other, they will not be good for structural use. I'm sure Don P or one of the others that understands more about stresses and deflection will be able to give you better info on the strength of either way.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

HARLEYRIDER

the way it was explained to me..from a mech engineer......you need the depth..
on a 2x12, the top 6" is under compresion, while the bottom is under tension. somewhere in the middle,  it is neutral. maybe if you plate them together....like a small truss...it might work.

But then again.....If your span is only 12', 2x6's 12"OC would be ok for 30psf. boxing the joists(sheathing top and bottom) would give you less deflection.

JOIST CALCULATOR
Greenwoods Timberworks

Thank You Sponsors!