iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kink in bar

Started by treeboy, June 07, 2006, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeboy

While falling a tree with my 044, the chainsaw got stuck as the tree started falling (shouldn't have been falling - too windy). I just moved to the safe zone and let the chainsaw go for the ride. Kept using it and at the end of the day I notice the bar has a slight kink - about an 1/8" bent towards the saw end. The chain seemed to stay on just fine, so can I keep using it?

The bar is a 25" stihl rollomatic E

Thanks
Spencer

Kevin

Spenc, I would try and straighten it or replace it.

rebocardo

> The chain seemed to stay on just fine, so can I keep using it?

Not bent.

If you are not inclined to buy a new one, I would try to straighten it. A technique  that comes to mind is to lay it with the U shape up, put a thick piece of plate metal over it, then drive a 7,000 pound truck over the metal plate.

I would check the bar mounts and make sure they are okay too.

scottr

Spencer , a method that might work is to C clamp the bar to a bench or post and bend it back straight . I've used this method on two laminated bars and it worked .                                                  Scott

treeboy

Thanks guys, I think I'm slowly straightning it. Would hate to buy a new bar, stihl's were alot more - but the chainsaw just looks cooler with it.

Spencer

treeboy

thanks again the running over the bar idea seemed to work, not perfect but much better!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spencer

rebocardo

Yea, I have straighten out one or two things using my truck.

Frickman

I've bent a few bars, just like you described. The twenty-ton hydraulic press in the corner of the garage gets used more to striaghten bars than for any other reason.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!