iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade mill similar to Logosol M7?

Started by thompson1600, June 07, 2006, 01:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompson1600

Does anyone have plans or experience building a mill similar to the Logosol M7. I have been looking at the M7 Woodworkers Mill. Here is a link to the Mill

Sells for about $2000 but seems like it should be buildable for a lot less. Wondering about the height adjustment mechanisms and such.

Anyone done something like this or have info or sources?

Thanks
Stihl Saws | 026 Pro | MS270 | MS360 | 038 Magnum | 066 Magnum | 084

Raphael

I've seen a set of homemade heavy duty adjustable log bunks operating in conjunction with an extended M7.  Adjustment was provided by varying the depth of cribbing and a pair of 2 ton hydraulic bottle jacks.  This more than doubled the M7's lifting capacity allowing 12x20-24' beams to be milled from 30"+ white oak logs that were probably over the 3300+ lbs allowed by Logosol's lifters. ;)
  His setup was 5 bunks with the jacks installed on bunks 2 and 4, cutting happened with the log bearing on bunks 1,3 & 5 then the log was lifted and appropriate thickness of cribbing for the next cut (5/4" for 1" planks etc.) was added added to the cutting bunks and the log lowered back down for the next cut.

To make it a simple job get your guide rail(s), saw sled and end stop from Logosol's parts dept then build the rest of the mill from whatever lumber is appropriate to your location.  Only draw back is you loose those nicely indexed (count the clicks) ratcheting log lifters and the easy portability. 
  You might look at Logosol's "Fresh Cut" magazine from 2(?) months ago (I think back issues can be viewed online), it was devoted to building you own custom mill from their "Big Mill" Timberjig setup and may have some ideas you can use.  Starting with the "Big Mill" is another way to go especially if you need a mill saw (that 385XP with extended warranty from Logosol  is worth considering, their customer support is the best I've ever come across).  I prefer the M7 sled design for it's eaze of use.

Hope this helps.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

4woody

looking good pic of saw careage for procut

PawNature

Quote from: 4woody on August 03, 2006, 12:55:11 AM
looking good pic of saw careage for procut

Woody check out my gallery. I used to own a procut
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

4woody

hi how are you, thanks for the pictures. How did you like the procut. i know it aint as fast as the banmill, do you think it would be hard to make it on the 48 inch than the 36 inch.      Thank you,
                         woody

4woody

0k thank you can other pepole show some pic to it would help thank all

ADfields

The image archive (see button at top of page) has pix of about anything you can think of wood cutting wize.  Take a look around. 

A procut type mill to cut 48" would not be hard to build if you can get a saw bar and powerhead big enough.   You would need something like a 52" bar and a monster powerhead.  Could be just about as cheep to buy a slabing attachment for a swinger mill and build some rails to run it on. ???
Andy

aniakhenry

I built a procut and am now after three years upgrading to a lumbermate 2000.  You might cut larger stuff 36" but it would be slow... slow

After getting saw dust in your blood you end up wanting more production...  I have a husky 3120 that powered it.  You would need a saw that large as it is the largest made by Husky.  Stihl also has a huge power head as well.  If anyone is interested in mine, let me know as it is now rather useless to me.  It hasn't been used much.

LOL

Aniakhenry

ADfields

Ya, to cut 48 wide with a chainsaw powerhead you would want 2 on a double ended bar. ;D  For a monster powerhead I was thinking a 16 horse or so lawn tractor engine.
Andy

Ianab

Quote from: ADfields on August 06, 2006, 05:03:01 PM
Ya, to cut 48 wide with a chainsaw powerhead you would want 2 on a double ended bar. ;D  For a monster powerhead I was thinking a 16 horse or so lawn tractor engine.
Andy

You would end up with something like this then  ;D

That chainsaw slabber has a 9 FOOT bar, they were chewing through that 7 ft dia. kauri stump OK though. Well not at lighning speed maybe, but nothings going to do that.  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ADfields

Ya ;)  Like I said in reply 6 hear (Could be just about as cheep to buy a slabing attachment for a swinger mill and build some rails to run it on.)   Slabing is about the only reason I could see using chainsaw chain for milling wood. ???

What is the HP on that slaber?
Andy 

Ianab

QuoteWhat is the HP on that slaber?

I dont remember exactly, but I think it was something around 15hp vertical shaft 4 stroke, the same type of thing you are thinking about anyway

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

Being a former owner of a Logosol M7, I think that you can't match the precision that the mill is made with combined with the ease of portability at the price.  The beam and sled alone are worth the $2K.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!