iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lyctid Powerpost Beetles up close and personal

Started by Larry, June 06, 2006, 05:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Yeap, I got em.  I always check my stacks in May and June as that's when they come out.  In the second pic you can see the fresh fras, exit holes, and the beetle top center.  There exit holes are small and fras is like talcum powder which helps to identify them.  Close up shot of him (or her) in the first pic.

The Lyctid only likes to chew on dry hardwoods such as oak and ash.  I think there favorite is red oak sapwood or maybe ash.  I'm sure my infestation came from a fly in.  Only found exit holes on 3 boards in maybe a 1,000 BF stack.  Yeap, red oak sapwood.  Sprayed some potent stuff on the board edges to try and get em as they chew there way out.  Maybe I'll get few more when they try egg laying.  The only real fix which I'll do later this summer is to sterilize the lumber with heat.

Here is a good thread on baking the rascals.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=9588.0

All the other beetles like wood with a higher moisture content...there common but not a bother as they die in the kiln and don't come back to haunt ya later.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

DanG Varmints  >:(
Those are some good pics  :)
I've imported them and have been seeing some fresh frass piles recently. I picked up a 4x4 bolster the other day and it was riddled. I piled it on the heat treatment mound  :D.

thedeeredude

woodbowl

Larry, I don't know if you've been keeping up with the other bug thread or not, but here it is. I'm spraying Solubor in every nook and cranny on the walls of my unfinished house.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=2151.msg27209#msg27209
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!