iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My hobby, sorta... with pictures

Started by Daren, June 06, 2006, 12:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I call this my hobby even though I charge for it, just not near enough. If I keep telling myself it is a hobby, I can justify the fact I can't seem to make any money at it. I love the work. I think I like fixing furniture more than building it. I usually only take jobs that look really hard for the challenge or as a way to get in the door with a good future customer. That's what this little table is a token job for a new and decent family. It all gives me ideas on what/how to build next and practice with the tools
Here is what showed up, a real junker, but solid walnut at least.

Here it is after I started working on it. I take them down as far as I can and reglue everything. It makes it easier to strip too.

These are the pieces I had to make that were missing. One whole end skirt, 4 corners, and some little turned doodads and a couple round whachamacallits.

That end skirt deserves a closer shot I think, perfect match to the rest.

Here it is done. Well the wood part, I have to put a marble top on it. I have a big piece of marble at a buddies. I may post a picture of the top later. It will be a few days before I can get around to that.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

crtreedude

Very nice.

but, you should NEVER admit that it isn't going to break even - how in the world are you ever going to be able to justify all the tools?!

I have repaired a lot of furniture - it is fun.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Daren

Quote from: crtreedude on June 06, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

but, you should NEVER admit that it isn't going to break even - how in the world are you ever going to be able to justify all the tools?!

I more than break even, it's just time (usually alot of time) I could be doing something more profitable. I have a funny way of looking at things, if I am not making as much money as I COULD be I feel I am losing money. It doesn't really matter, I love what I do and it is my back yard. My Grampa always told me enjoy what you do for a living and don't worry about trying to die rich. His quote was "One thing you will never see in a funeral parade is a Brinks truck"
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

crtreedude

Absolutely - those who are always trying to get rarely do, and then they wasted so many years.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

Quote from: Daren on June 06, 2006, 01:10:00 PM
[ My Grampa always told me enjoy what you do for a living and don't worry about trying to die rich. His quote was "One thing you will never see in a funeral parade is a Brinks truck"

I like that--words to live by, for sure.  Though it's hard to keep that in perspective sometimes, isn't it?  Or at least it's hard for me.  I've been thinking about this a lot lately--there's ALWAYS going to be someone with more than you, but it's hard to be content, and realize how good you have it.  I think it'll be a constant struggle.  I read somewhere that men in their 30's and 40's think about money more than anything else, which is a big change from when they were in their teens and 20's.   ;)  I know I think about money way more than I used to, and I hate that my thoughts turn to it so often.   ::)

Sorry for hijacking the thread...   ::)

That's some might fine craftsmanship, Daren!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Burlkraft

Daren,

nice job...I love fixing old things too. There is a lot of satisfaction in saving an old piece ;) ;) ;)

The other thing is the look on the customer's face when they see it for the first time ;D ;D ;D

That end skirt you made is beeutiful..... 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

dundee

Well done Darren, one has to be gifted to undertake this --and I ain't one of them

Cheers
Richard

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Thank You Sponsors!