iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bears and electric fences

Started by Sprucegum, June 06, 2006, 02:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

I read somewhere that electric fences will discourage bears from nosing around the place. Any truth to this?

We have a small bear, wife estimate he's about three, who comes through every now and then and makes a little mess.

I think he'd make a nice little rug but I haven't been able to catch up to him yet  ;)

Ianab

A GOOD electric fence will discourage most things.
Last unit I bought for my old farm was rated to power 6 miles of Elephant fence  :o
Still needs a properly constructed fence and properly set up earths etc, but yes a good electric fence will discourage most critters .

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pappy

Sprucegum,
Some info about "CONTROL TECHNIQUES" for bears

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/wildlife/420-200/420-200.html#L3

The fence around the bee hives looks like quite a project "figure5"[ especially if you want to do 4 or 5 acres  :o

Ianab "Elephant fence"  :o what's used to power this thing three phase  ;D

good luck,
Tim
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Onthesauk

We've got a bee keeper outside town who puts hives in some pretty remote areas.  I had coffee with him one morning and asked him about keeping bears out of the hives.  He uses electric fence, run on batteries and solar chargers.  Apparently works. 
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Sprucegum

Thanks for the info - interesting and informative as usual  :)

I already have a solar charger and batteries on site so I will be shopping for the special wire and the zapper thing.

Murf

I was reading a story recently about a guy who had a heck of a time keeping bears (and other critters) out of his garden.

He found a motion-sensitive yard light at a garage sale for $0.50, hooked it up to one of those old style propane-fired noise makers for scaring birds out of the orchards. When something wandered through his yard after dark, the lights went on, and the propane went bang!!  He said it only went off 2 or 3 times and never again.

I guess even bears are afraid of things that go bump in the night!!  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

SwampDonkey

I went to the woods yesterday and as I was driving in I saw a male black bear. I'm thinking it was male because no cubs and he was quite big. He's been using a winter road that I walked in on and the path is beat down pretty good. But it was the easiest way to get to where I was going so I didn't give it another thought. I didn't see any works around. I also think the trail is used more by moose who use it to browse cutover growth. Anyway I was there 2 hours and never seen the bear again. The bear might be looking for an opertunity to bag a calf moose. But, most bears travel in  alrge track a land around here because of the farms. I've never seen them mark their territory here like they do in remote areas of BC. They have all kinds of food and not hard to get something to eat I guess.

They have been saying the bears have been bothering bird feeders in some areas, especially those with suet balls.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 06, 2006, 05:28:52 PM
The bear might be looking for an opertunity to bag a calf moose.

Yes, but then he might be wondering how a two legged forester would taste. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I like a good bear wrestle once in awhile. ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Swampdonkey

Seriously, do you take any precautions for bears when you are in remote areas?

I have straped on the shoulder holster and carried a 357 sometimes when I have to walk in remote forest areas to survey potential timber sales. I know the DNR Foresters are not allowed to carry weapons but along the outer edge of one area that I was cutting, a woman jogging was attacked by a bear. I did see signs daily of a good sized bear or two in that area. During the winter I also saw one bull moose standing in the forest road one evening and two wolves chasing a deer across the road early one morning. I sat and waited for the moose to leave the road because someone told me to never honk at them.  ;D

The thing that concerns me is when I am looking at trees, boundaries, and trying to maintain my orientation in the sale area, I am not as aware of my surroundings as I should be. That 357 noise maker gives me a little comfort if nothing else.

I have heard that bears actually like the taste of that pepper spray.  :o

Sprucegum

Lookin over my shoulder and seeing a 400 pound bear sniffin at my tracks gives me the about same feeling as touchin that electric fence  ;D  ;D

I like the idea of a motion-sensor noise maker.

asy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 07, 2006, 07:53:00 AM
I like a good bear wrestle once in awhile. ;D :D

Um, with yourself, or watching with an enemy? hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

I've never been scared of the woods or the animals. Except I will avoid a bear if I see him. If I see cubs I'm not going in there today, but a solitary black bear going about his business doesn't give me much concern as long as I'm a good distance away. In the remote areas of BC we always carried bear mace and bear bangers (fireworks launched by a pen sized device). We worked among the wolves in some remote areas of BC and they never bothered anyone. I wouldn't be so comfortable workin in Grizzley territory though. I had a co-worker that was captured by a grizzley and drug by his head and after his partner beat the Dang thing off with an axe he came away with a big gash from the back of the head around and across his cheek. The guy will probably have nightmares the rest of his life.

asy

I think if I come to USA for a visit, I'm gonna land in Unclebuckland and go straight to his sugar shack, and stand behind him.

Only problem is, I think I'm wider than he is.

Gary_C

asy

They say you should always go into bear country with another person.

That is someone that you can outrun.  :D

asy

Hmmm..

I'm stuffed then, there's not  many people I could outrun.  :-\

Mr Mom

asy   All you have to do is trip one person that you dont like and then you would be safe.
             This is just a thought and I would not do it to anyone  ;) ;) ;).

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

isawlogs

A friend of mine has honey bees all over here and has been keeping them bear free with electric fences for a couple of years ... you do though get that one bear once in a while that dont seam to mind getting a blast from the fence .
  Late in the summer I usualy go blueberry picking . Many times I have been out and minding my own business , picking and not really looking at what was around and then get up to stretch and have a black ball a few hundre feet doing the same . I figure that he has as much wright to eat as me ... and that if I leave him be , he in turn will do the same . It has worked out fine so far .. We sortof check each other out for a while and keep our distances and go on to fill up our respective bellys  :D :D

I have had some upsetting moments with some bears in the past ... one time moose hunting we came back to an emty upset camp site ... the bear had made his way through the tent ransacked eveything in there and had openned all of the coolers that where in the pick-up and chewed , ate or wasted what ever was edible .  >:(
   My partner was ready to pack it in and leave right there and then ..   ::)  We still had a few days of hunting left ... there was fish in the lake , only need to catch a few , aint that hard to catch trout when they are spawing , I was able to convince him to stay for at least another day  , turned out good , I got a moose in the morning and we met up with our bear in the afternoon at the camp site , this time we where loaded with amo and we came back home with a rug and some good eating moose  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

isawlogs
Now that might be classified as "baiting" to set em up in the camp like dat ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

That's the only way they hunt'm here.  ;D But, I've never seen a bear eat dead or rotting fish. Not even out west with all them dead salmon floating in the rivers after the spawn. Those are for the eagles. ;D Grandfather tried suckers or fish that spoiled from bad freezers and the bears never bothered them. But leave a dead cow......and it's a delicacy for bears. ;)

I think one guide up Tobique has nine bears this spring so far.

isawlogs

Best bait for bear is a box of crushed cookies and honey . We get some from the cookie factory , big boxes of em ... all crushed up and past dated .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

For some reason or another, this is reminding me of the "sand Shark" skit on SNL. :D

red

marcel .... past dated ???

we give them the fresh cookies right out of the oven    :D

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

isawlogs

Ya , but I have given them enough fresh stuff out of my camp sites ... other thing is that these cookies are free for the taking  ;) they dont read the dates on them or seam to care any .  ;D

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Grandfather used to use pies and cakes past expiry from McCain Foods. Stuff not fit for human consumption. ;D :D

Minnesota_boy

And how long did your grandfather live eating those pies and cakes that weren't fit for human consumption?  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

Trust me, it was strictly bear food. Although if grandmother wasn't looking over him, God knows what he'd be eating. ;D :D

Faron

I'd just love to see a bear tangle with an electric fence. ;D  It would be interesting to see if once was enough, or if he would have to try it again.  My first experience 40 years ago with an electric fence was with a bull trying to tear down a fence to get in with the feeder heifers.  We built a little short fence with a weed chopper charger and turned the bull back out.  He waded into the fence walking sideways and bellowing with his tongue hanging out.  It bit the heck out of him, and he backed off.  Pawed the ground a while, and waded back in just like before.  This time he really got it.  Before he got away, smoke was rolling off his skin, and we could smell burned hair.  He then decided he had pressing business elsewhere.   :D  From that day forward, all it took to buffalo that bull was to hold a shiny piece of wire in your hand.   ;D  With a piece of wire, you could make him go anywhere you wanted.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Jeff

Our friend Lou Kurtis, who lives on a chunk of Beeuuutiful land across from the cabin in da U.P. was having bears get on his covered deck/porch at night to get in the bird feeders they had hanging.  Lou got the idea of hanging a can of pepper spray out there smeared all over with peanut butter.  The first night they heard a yeooowwwwww GRRRRRRRR and a heck of a racket. The bear had hit the spray and was G O N E. For Good measure Lou put up another for the next evening.  Same scenario. YEOOOWWWW GRRRRRRR.  Lou Figured the Bear was going to Learn pretty quick now, so He hung out the third canister. Yep, that did the trick. That night peace and quiet.  They went out the next morning to find the canister still hanging and the peanut butter all licked off.  :)   

They cured the problem of Bears on the porches finally by taking down the bird feeders. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!