iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished Jewelry Box

Started by Rick Schmalzried, December 11, 2002, 08:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Schmalzried

Perry and Noble have been after me to post photos of a Jewelry box I made for my wife.  The raised panel is made from a piece of Oak crotch I milled with a chainsaw attachment several years ago.  The walnut is some that Perry had milled prior to him getting his LT15.

Making items like this keep the wife happy and allow me to buy more tools. 8)

_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

Norm

Wow, that is beautiful work Rick, nice choices of wood. I'm constantly using wood that you couldn't give away at home depot because they only want the cookie cutter brands of wood. Their loss.

Don P

DonT

Bro. Noble

That really is beautiful wood and workmanship.

Perry made his wife a sawdust pile and a pile of edgings and put them right by their driveway so she can enjoy them.  Why is it Perry that you have to hide your new tools?

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

CHARLIE

Beautiful piece of work Rick!  I like the fact that you also did a little extra joinery  on the corners. Looks like box joints and they really add to the personality of the piece. I also like the way you showed off the crotch wood. What is neat is that not only will your wife enjoy using it but your craftsmanship has an excellent chance of lasting for several generations. Thanks for sharing it with us. Of course I'd love to see more.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

whitepe

Hey Noble,
My father-in-law cleaned up the sawdust and I knew
that if I left the pile of edgings along the driveway long
enough that Becky would volunteer to help me pick them
up. I subscribe to the letting the other kids white-wash
the fence for me policy.  I'm surprised you being from
Missouri and all that you haven't used that trick yourself.
When I come down I'll teach you how to do it. Besides I've already got Becky lined up to do the milking for you so we can go fishing or something so stop complaining.  ;D

Now as for hiding my new tools, haven't you heard that
it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than ask for permission?  You being a gospel singer and all surely
realize that man in his fallen state will always return to a sinful nature and buy tools.  I can get away with
it because I don't chase other women. Besides, I figure Becky
still owes me for showing up with that fur coat a couple of years ago.  
Now, I still have a lot to learn from Charlie about fast
thinking on his feet to tell his wife that she got the tool
2 or 3 years ago for him. That's a classic. 8)

Oh yes, now you guys can see why I encouraged Rick to
post pictures of the jewelry box. He does pretty good work
doesn't he? Now he is really worried cause he's afraid that
his wife will want to fill it up with expensive jewelry. Maybe
he should have made a napkin holder or a bread box. This
could turn out to be a serious mistake on his part.  :D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

RavioliKid

That is one seriously beautiful work of art!

I just want to reach out and touch it.

;)
RavioliKid

DanG

Great piece of work, Rick.

Now ya got me ta thinkin' about that big ol' triple pecan crotch I got laying in the back corner of the grove.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rick Schmalzried

What perry doesn't understand is that I have been "pre-filling" for some time.  You would be surprised how far you can make 0.1BF of an exotic wood go (and not just in making jewelry  ;D )  The center earrings have some of the free 1 carat CZ diamonds that were sent out by some fly by night company trying to get you to bite on paying them to mount them.

Some closer detail of the feathers.  They are made with lacewood and Walnut.

And of the darker geometric earrings.  These have a variety of woods, but include purple heart, maple, osage, bocote and others that I forget.

--Rick

Boy if I would have done this right I could have been 6 messages closer to being a member rather than only 2...
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ADfields

Rick, you did it right.   You just need to do it more! ;)   That is great work and the more of that the better. 8)
Andy

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Thank You Sponsors!