iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan

Started by dad2nine, June 05, 2006, 03:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Looking for Pecan log value,  Butt 26", small end 20" - 16' no visable defects - rural (yard) tree.

Thanks

Modat22

There's a list on the agricultural dept's web page that lists lasts years log prices by grade. You might have a looksee there. I don't have the link here at work but I found it once with google.

remember man that thy are dust.

Frickman

Pecan is sometimes included with hickory, so the price should be about the same.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

DanG

If you're buying, the price is too high.  If you're selling, the price is too low.  In other words, I don't have a clue.  They're usually free around here, but we probably have more of them than you would up there.

Mostly, I responded to warn you about metal.  The old-timers believed that pecan trees would bear better if you drove nails into them.  :o  They also would nail sheet metal around them to keep the squirrels out.  The metal would fall off and leave the nails.

I wouldn't pay much for it, if I were you.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dad2nine

DanG I took my metal detector up there and had several hit's. T bad too - nice looking log, straight and no knots or noticable defect for a good 20'. But with with trash, I told the lady thank you but no thank you.

Never heard that "old-timers believed that pecan trees would bear better if you drove nails into them" - I learn something new everytime I come on here...

Thanks

J_T

They did the same thing to walnut tree's here ::) I get free offers for yard tree's all the time . Wish someone was closer that wanted them ???
Jim Holloway

Raphael

Yard trees of all species tend to harbor hidden trash.
I'll take them since they are delivered free, my saw chains are easy to sharpen or rebuild if I knock a few teeth off.
I've been pretty lucky, I managed to mill a 7/16" lag bolt in wet pine log and the saw just slowed down (zero deflection).  In the same batch of logs I milled the green plastic covering of an old tree cable without touching the steel on three sides of an 8x8.25" cant. 
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SwampDonkey

Talk about trash on site, we just finished thinning a site that was riddled with old fences and junk farm machinery. I didn't see it when marking out the strips, just giant rock piles.  ::) A few blades hit metal on that site. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!