iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siberian Elm anybody???

Started by urbanlumberinc, June 04, 2006, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

Anyone here ever saw any Siberian Elm???  I've got dibs on a monster butt log if I want it.  Just curious if it's gonna be worth the effort. 

UNCLEBUCK

I think Daren here on the forum was sawing some kind of elm up a few months ago here and showed pictures ,maybe he knows?
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

coldnorth

I have a bunch of small siberian elm trees in my front lawn that I cut back hard every year.  They grow VERY fast.  I have never sawn any but I would suspect it to be a soft, coarse grain.  Let us know what you find if you saw it.

If you want something done correctly, you have to do it yourself.

Ed

I've never milled it, but it is soft & full of water. Reminds me of Cottonwood. Cutting it with a chainsaw can be difficult because of all the water pouring out of the cut.

Ed

urbanlumberinc

I shouldn't have a problem as this log has been standing dead for close to two years now.  I'm gonna take a pass through it tomorow.  I'll be sure and take photos.

urbanlumberinc

urbanlumberinc

urbanlumberinc

urbanlumberinc

urbanlumberinc

On the whole, not bad looking stuff.  I've talked to a guy here locally that has worked with some and he says it's pretty easy to work with.  I showed him the photos  and he offered to buy two of the slabs on the spot.  Not too shabby for my first log sawn as a pro. 8) 8) 8)

Paul_H

It has some really pretty grain with lots of colour.

Great job  8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Max sawdust

Looks great 8)
Looks as if it has some curl 8) 8) ;D
Sure would like to see it sanded and with some finish on it ;D
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!