iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new Bionic Knee

Started by johnjbc, June 04, 2006, 08:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnjbc

Last week I went in the Hospital to have my Knee replaced. My daughter Maryellen brought in the grandchildren for a visit and they wanted to see my new Bionic Knee.
My new Knee is getting a little stronger every day. It holds my weight without any problems but lets me know when I try to bend it. Today I made 2 trips to the workshop without incident. I use a Walker but don't put any weight on it, but it does help with stability. Thursday they are going to take the staples out and that should help.
Should be off work for a couple more weeks and running the Sawmill will be delayed a little more.

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Jeff

You'd think in this day and age they would use velcro instead of zippers so we could get a closer look. ;)

Got some friends with new knees and everyone of them have ZERO regrets. Love em and wish they would have never waited.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I dread that operation.  New shoulders and knees are prescribed for me and I don't have the guts to go through with it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  :)

red

looks  great !

dont over do it

listen to  the   Doc    lots of healing taking place  in that knee

at least you can ride the power chair at wally world   :D

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Burlkraft

johnjbc,

Looks good. I just had mine rebuilt cuz they said I was too young for a replacement. Obviously the sergeon doesn't know what I do in my spare time. I probablly won't live that long.

My scar is shorter and they superglued mine back together. I have a really wide ugly scar. I wish they would have stapled it. I'm 7 months in and still at therapy 2 times a week. I hear replacement doesn't take so long to rehab ;D ;D ;D

Doc says it could be 18 months for the DanG thing to be right :( :( :(

I hope yer recovery goes well. You'll be sawin' in no time. 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

D._Frederick

My neighbor had his knee joint replaced, said it was "three months of living hell". He is walking better and not using cane any more.

Tom

I was 58 when I had my last knee surgery.  It was supposed to be replaced then.  I woke up and it wasn't.   The Doctor gave me that same "you're too young" story.  I have finally gotten the straight scoop.  I think.   

I was too young because I was too active.  replacement joints were only good for 10 years if you were careful.  My life-style was hard on joints.   "no joke, doc!"

He figured that it wouldn't have lasted me but 2 or 3 years and I'd be back, so he chose to just clean it up again.  I'm bone to bone on both knees and both shoulders now.   I figure they don't have much of a choice now.  All I have to do is get enough guts to get put to sleep again.  It scares me.

Gary_C

I have seen quite a few people that have been thru the knee replacement surgery and I had a quad repaired. From what I have seen, the people that push themselves thru the initial therapy have the fastest recovery. Yes, it does hurt, but you get paid back in faster recovery.

Tom

There was a lot of talk about a year or so ago about the progress they were making in growing new cartilage but I haven't heard anything recently. Perhaps you can hold out till they figure out how to grow your own.

I had a friend and neighbor that was scheduled for knee replacement on the Friday before the fishing opener one spring. His brother was going to stop in to see him on his way north on the morning of the surgery. The guy decided to not have the surgery and when the nurse came to prep him for surgery, he told her she was working on the wrong knee, it was the other one that hurt. A very upset surgeon cancelled the surgery because they did not have a replacement for that knee. When his brother stopped in to see him, he was sitting on the bed with his clothes on and he said "come on, I'm going fishing with you." He never did have that knee fixed.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Burlkraft

Tom,

Did we have the same sergeon ??? ???

That's the same DanG story I got ::) ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

getoverit

Congrats on the bionic knee John!

I hope your recovery is fast and it wont be long before you are able to jump over tall buildings with a single leap and run faster than a speeding bullet ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

johnjbc

Thanks for all the concerns. Thought I would give you an update.
Went to the doctors Office yesterday and everything is coming along good. They removed the staples and took X-rays. Gave me a card to get through metal detectors, a subscription for antibiotics, and a subscription for out paint therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks. Will need to take antibiotics any time I go to the dentist or have a number of other procedures done just to be safe.
Doing a little better every day.
This morning I used the .22 as a walking stick and made it back to the garden. My plants should be a little safer now.
The bending numbers for today are 7 from straight  and 90 degrees of bend. Today was the last visit from the home therapist. I'm to go for out patient therapy 3 times a week for the next 4 weeks
6/2   15   &    77
6/6    13  &    80
6/8     7   &    90

Tom

Sounds like you are doing good, John.

I still don't envy you, though I know the results may be a lot better than what you had before.

Keep us informed.  It might covince me to reconsider one day.

brdmkr

My mom just had Knee surgery.  She is really happy with the results.  The prep was pretty funny.  They wrote 'YES' on the knee to be replaced and 'NO' on the other knee.  I got a kick out of it.  I don't think she found it that funny.  She is getting ready to have the other one done now.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

red

john  I  hope your only having the one knee done

are  my roof panels  nice and dry ?

RED

johnjbc

Unfortunately both knees are bad and need replaced >:( >:(. Dr wants to wait 6 months before doing the second one due to the risk of infection being lower. I would have sooner have gotten it over with. :P
As for the metal roofing it is just over 1/3 stood on edge to dry and then stacked. Can only do 2 sheets at a time so it will be a while yet. ::)

red

hi john

how is the knee coming along ?

I bet the heat and humidity is bothering you
but look on the bright side you could be slipping on snow and ice   

dont over do it !

RED

johnjbc

Time for another update. I have completed 2 weeks of Out Patient Therapy and every day it gets a little better. I'm up to 3 degrees from straight and to a bend of more than 100 degrees. That's with the Therapist pushing can't move it that much my self. I can climb the stairs with both feet now and they have had me on the exercise bike 4 times now, but I couldn't quite get it the whole way around the first 2 times. Started with the seat at #10 and today I made it with it on #8. I learned its not a good Idea to forget to take your  pain pills before you go. ::) ::)
Another thing they use is the shocker ::). They put 2 electrodes on the top of my Knee and it pulses on and off for 10 seconds and then goes off for ten. They have you laying on your back and when it comes on you are to push the back of your Knee into the table to stretch out the tendons. After that he stands up on a stool and puts his weight on your knee  ::) ::)while moving your knee Cap Around.
Better stop now, don't want to scare Tom

Tom

I was already scared silly.  :D

I watch in awe as you get your youth back.

highpockets

What kind of grease do they recommend on that joint?  I use wheel bearing grease.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Weekend_Sawyer

Frankenknee!  :o
Am I right, I counted about 50 staples in that knee.

Sounds like you are doing good, keep up the good work
and no marathons!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

hiya

I'm glad mine isn't that bad. About a 6 weeks ago I was working on some stairs. At the end of the day my knee hurt like crazy. Then about two weeks ago I was putting new treads on a set of stairs and the same thing, but it didn't stop hurting.Thursday mri, yesterday Dr. the week of the 4th. he wants to do some cutting. I tour some cartlege (sp?) I'm not looking forward to that. He says 3 to 4 weeks. I have too much to do. Summer is my best time of year.
Richard
RichardinMd.

johnjbc

My Christmas present this year is getting my second Knee replaced. Had to wait 6 months from the first one due to infection risk.
They put it in on 12/14 and took the staples out yesterday. Should be off work until the second half of February. Then the Six Million Dollar Man better look out. :D :D

leweee

Glad to hear you are mending well ;D
I'm like Tom .....not looking forward to this myself. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sprucebunny

That second one takes guts, John. I hope your recovery goes well.

Twenty six years ago I had a 'muscle transplant' in one knee, just like Joe Namath ;D ... an operation that's no longer done ::)

I'm trying very hard to not need any more surgery  :o ( Wish my insurance company knew this !!!)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

johnjbc

My knee was only able to bend about 87* .So yesterday they put me in the hospital  to have my knee manipulated. Woke up in the recovery room about 12:30 with he nurse asking if my knee hurt. Yes so they put a hit Morphine in the IV. 10 minuets later is the pain going away No got another hit. 10 minuets later she asks again and I get another . 10 minuets later she tells me that they are going to get me up and start me on pain pills.

They bring Kathy in and in 20 minuets they have all the tubes pulled, the holes taped up, and I'm dressed. They give me my first pain pill, a prescription and a paper of instructions. Guess what they don't want me driving with the pain meds.

Next its on to the drug store, then home for a sandwich and a couple more pills to get me ready for therapy.

Spent 2 hours in therapy with them devising different ways to bend my knee. Good news is I can now crank the peddle on the stationary bike clear around. And with a little pushing by the therapist they got it to bend to 107*

This morning, even with ice on it all night it 4 inches bigger around than the other knee.

I can tell my 10:00 am therapy session is going to be fun.

Wish GW would get off his but and fund Stem Cell Research and clone me a new body.

Thank You Sponsors!