iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello and thanks for the insight

Started by happyj, June 04, 2006, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyj

Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for all the information and idea sharing that appears in this forum.
My name is happy jenkins. My wife and i just moved out to our dream property in belfair washington a couple of years ago. I have been reading about timber framing since the early eighties and doing landscaping type stuff with larger timbers (mortices, half laps, doevetails...) in preparation for this move. My day job is as a network architect which keeps me in the city more than i would like.
I just purchased a small alaskan chainsaw mill (because it would work with the saw i already owned) and believe i am swinging towards an MSG 250E mill in the near future. I am planning to build a driveway arch, gazebo, shed and barn in preparation for building the house.
Have a great day and thanks again for this site and the information provided.

scsmith42

HappyJ, welcome to the form (and the family)!  Good luck with your projects.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

srjones

Welcome!   8)  The Seattle area is full of really good resources for timberframing...and trees!
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Puget-Sound

Welcome to the forum Happy. Your post motivated me to come out of lurking mode. I've been soaking up the knowledge here for a couple of months now...

My wife and I our in the process of planning our dream house a few miles north of you. We have a few acres in Seabeck (near the hood canal, towards the bottom of Kitsap county). Let me know if you need any help, especially when it comes time to do some heavy lifting.

Graduate school has limited my timber framing interests to books the past two years. However, I will be traveling to Colorado in August for two workshops at the Rocky Mountain Workshops. You also might want to look into the upcoming Timber Frame Guild event on Bainbridge Island. I plan on attending all three weeks.

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Puget-Sound. 

A timber framer, eh?

Those schools might be alright, but you can get a world of education in our Jim's topic, Timber-framing, right here on the forum.   Why, he has even conducted some classes himself.  May be that y'all might want to set one up and invite him.  :)

Puget-Sound

Tom,

I've already benefitted from Jim's advice and timber framing thread. I especially appreciate his heavy use of visuals. Unfortunately, I don't have enough acquaintances interested in TF'ing to organize a workshop.

-Aaron

Thank You Sponsors!