iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh from the garden

Started by Norm, June 04, 2006, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Finally getting some good eating out of our garden.

How's every else's doing?

woodsteach

The DanG rabbits stunted my peas so since we're in town the bb gun took care of bugs! 

We had a spinach omlet for breakfast the other day. 

Now the black berries are about a week away.

I wish we had some of those strawberries, we haven't started a bed yet. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Paschale

My garden's going fallow this year--I got some nasty disease in there that hit my maters pretty hard, so I'm "solarizing" my soil this summer.  It should kill all the diseases, as well as the weed seeds.  Apparently, it's pretty effective.  I do have a couple of mater plants in my front garden, and a boatload of wild black raspberries and regular raspberries that should be ready at the end of June.

Those strawberries are looking mighty tasty!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

UNCLEBUCK

Paschale maybe your maters been bitten by the tobacco mossaic virus if they are the old varieties? Probably caused from second hand cigar smoke  ;D  I make sure when I plant maters to toss out the chew and wash my hands really good and hope I finish before I need a fix  :D

Good lookin berries Norm , berries just starting to have flowers up here .

:-X
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

twoodward15

I've been picking a heaping pound carton of strawberries a day for 5 days now on about 60 or so plants.  I gave it a rest yesterday, but will hit it hard tonight when I get home from work.  I've got so many I've been frezing them whole.  I guess I should get some jars and make some jam.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Paschale

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on June 05, 2006, 01:32:39 AM
Paschale maybe your maters been bitten by the tobacco mossaic virus if they are the old varieties? Probably caused from second hand cigar smoke  ;D  I make sure when I plant maters to toss out the chew and wash my hands really good and hope I finish before I need a fix  :D

Good lookin berries Norm , berries just starting to have flowers up here .

Paschale, any of that bootleg Thailand berries live? I bet that trombone case has hauled more berry vines across state lines than a mexican produce truck  8) 8) 8)

:D :D :D 

UB, I think it's that verticillium wilt, and it definitely got on my old tomatoes.  I bought all my plants from a guy last year who grows these heirlooms as a hobby.  His place is a MESS!  What I've read about the heirlooms is that you've gotta be really hygenic in your planting, because it's easy for those nasty diseases to get to the plants otherwise.  This guy passed on the disease to my garden...though maybe it is the mosaic virus.   ;)

Oh...and UB...no one's supposed to know about those Thailand berries, or all of that illegal produce smuggling...keep a lid on it, will ya?

;)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Burlkraft

Wow....you guys are way ahead of us. It'll be a couple more weeks for sure before we got any berrys goin'. I can't wait either.....strawberries are just like green apples for me. Can't stop eatin' em untill you've already overdone it. :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Quartlow

Well I won't be getting no berries this year since I just planted them,

We have been eating lettuce and radish's though. And the carrots are not far behind
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

crtreedude

We are getting bananas right now - and guavas. Hot peppers too. (millions)

Let's see - the Mangos are setting on really well - ah, Avocados are in full production. We have some nice Limes starting to produce too.

My coffee plants are ripening beans right now too - not a lot, but a start. And the Macadamias are nearly ripe it seems. Not very many this year because they have never been pruned.

But we should be flooded next year.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

No garden for me this year. Gonna let things lie for a year. I do have my raspberry patch though. Last year I picked a washtub full of them. Hope'n for the same this year. They've just started blossoming here. My father's strawberries are still green and lots of new blossums. He has troublels with blue berries. Most of them look 90 % dead and only one variety looks thrifty with blossums. I never had any luck with them either. They are a hardy plant, so it has to be the soil or maybe disease. If you plant peas in the garden and then plant taters on the same ground the next year you may get rhyzectonia from the peas. Farmers used to grow peas here as rotation, but rhyzectonia caused them to stop growing peas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Hey Fred,

How's the weather down there ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Same as always - wonderful! I love the rainy season more than the dry season. Right now it is really raining and I want to go for a bike ride - if it wasn't for the thunder - I would be out in it. But... I am trying to have some common sense.  :-\

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Norm

A little snack while I read the forum. ;D

Corley5

My pumpkins are just coming out of the ground.  My parents garden is doing very well but it's gonna be a while before anything is ready for harvest.  I noticed the wild blackberries were in bloom the last few days  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

Last week at the farm market a lady comes by a booth run by my mom's friend who sells baking beans and asks is there any fresh corn. She said she had some nice corn the week before, mmm it was good she said.  :-\ Hmmm, let's see here. Planting season is May-Early June in NB and you think we have fresh corn?  ::) Some people are on Mars.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

I still have about a month to wait for my wild black raspberries.  Having some people over for a bonfire Saturday night, and we'll be passing around a bottle of last year's raspberry harvest  ;D  It turned out dry, and very full bodied  :)

thecfarm

SwampDonkey,we had someone come to the greenhouse and ask for corn too.We do sell produce too,but that is still 3 weeks away.Beetgreens should be up and going by than.Our growing season is just about like yours.Corley5,I've seen those blackberries in bloom too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

joelmar10

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 08, 2006, 05:27:34 AM
Last week at the farm market a lady comes by a booth run by my mom's friend who sells baking beans and asks is there any fresh corn. She said she had some nice corn the week before, mmm it was good she said.  :-\ Hmmm, let's see here. Planting season is May-Early June in NB and you think we have fresh corn?  ::) Some people are on Mars.  :D

some people think food comes from the store.  ::)
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

SwampDonkey

Father's taters are in blossum and the beat greens are almost ready to thin and eat now at dad's. His strawberries are still green but bigger than your thumb. I harvest raspberries in July here.

twoodward15

Swamp Donkey, we had import corn last night and it wasn't good.  My wife went to work today and paople were trash talking us jersey people because our corn is so bad this year( we usually have really good corn).  My wife comes home and tells me about it.  I proceed to tell her that same thing.  Corn isn't out here yet.  I then point to the back yard at my garden so she can see the 18 inch tall corn.  She didn't believe me.  I used joelmars line  "people think food comes from the store" on her.  It was pricelss.  My own wife sheesh I can't believe it.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

joelmar10

I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Quartlow

Lo and behold I got enough fresh pea's for supper tonight. I was cruising the garden this morning and put s few pea runners up on the trellis and said well looky here. Asked the wife is she was ready for canning season  :D :D That got me a dirty look  ::)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

ohsoloco

I should eat sweet corn every day....it's the only time I floss my teeth  :D

Flurida_BlackCreek

Norm,

That first photo had me worried. Strawberries on icecream sounds a lot better than, strawberry and pea soup, yuck.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

Norm

We have so many strawberries now I've tried lots of combinations but that's not one of em. :D

Our weather turned really hot (mid 90's) and my peas have suffered. The next variety coming on is the snow peas, one of my favorites but they'll not last long unless it cools off and we get rain. Still that first night of fresh peas is worth the effort.

Thank You Sponsors!