iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can we even talk snakes here?!

Started by crtreedude, May 23, 2005, 02:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

I was checking out a new farm we are thinking of buying, pretty wild place - I even saw the footprints of a Puma there.  :o

Anyway, I was walking along and Hector pointed out this young fellar. He is an Imperial Boa.

He is about 2 meters long, just a youngster I am told. I got within 2 feet of him to take this picture (no zoom)

Beautiful snake, did not care at all I was close to him.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

DanG

He wuz probbly hopin' ya'd come jest a leeeetle bit closer. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

crtreedude

He would have just put a little squeeze on me....

I was just told that he was probably between 2.5 to 3 meters long, still not that big, but very thick around.

crtreedude

I can't wait till Jeff checks out this posting.  :D

moosehunter

I ain't scared of any thing,,, 'cept SNAKES!
If I had taken that picture it would have been very blurry and the log woulda looked like a twig!
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

crtreedude

For some reason, snakes don't bother me at all - I just find them interesting. Probably something wrong with me.

Of course as boas aren't poisonous, there isn't much to worry about, unless they get really big.

Fla._Deadheader

Snakes ??????  Thats a cutie  ;D ;D :D  Show 'em a Bushmaster, Fred.  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Jeff - you are in TROUBLE - that is a protected snake...

(just kidding)

Jeff

crtreedude

Now Jeff, I am just trying to help.  ;) They say that repeated exposure is supposed to help you get over your phobia.  :D

Surely others have nice snake pictures....

Texas Ranger

Beautiful critter, which would have been the thought after it had departed this world.  I agree with Jeff, I have no problems with snakes I cannot see,but one that surprises me is buzzard food.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

etat

Nope not me.  Ain't not a snake in the world that I want to be that close too.  I know there's good snakes, and bad snakes.  I like for all of em to keep their distance.  If I see one 'over yonder;, I'm ok and if it ain't close to my house and ain't a cotton mouth or a copperhead, I'll leave it alone. Them poisonous kind to me it's safer to go ahead and put outta their misery before they decide to come 'over here'.  Cause if I see on 'over here' and 'close', my heart starts not acting right.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Pete J

Thanks a lot Fred.
I ALMOST had my wife convinced to go to Costa Rica. Now she'll be back to talking someplace clean, safe and mainstream touristy. Like Disney World. It's all your fault. I hope you have guilt.

Ernie

Saw a Mississauga Rattler once when I was a kid in Canada.  Climbing a rock face, poked my head over the top and there he was, don't know who was more scared.

There are NO SNAKES in New Zealand except with two legs and government salaries
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

crtreedude

No guilt - I probably saved your eardrums.  :D

There are a lot of snakes here - but stay out of the bush and you will almost certainly see none - even if you visit us.

By the way - Florida has snakes....

Costa Rica IS main stream tourism now.

Fla._Deadheader

Ya don't think DISNEY has SNAKES ??????  Orlando Airport is crawlin with them. BIG rattlers. I'll look up some back info.

If ya wanna re-schedule Costa Rica, Fred and I will verify Snake-free zones, for the Mrs.   ;) ;) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Heck, we will walk the fields with you and keep the snakes away - a good choppero will do wonders.

Teri

I like Jeff's answer better.  8)  :D :D

tnlogger

Now thats just shows me there an't to many on here that would go to a good rattle snake round up :P.
good eating and fun too everyone ofs ya should try it. ;D
gene

etat

Even though I think; no I KNOW you're nuts, I couldn't help laughing! :D :D :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

crtreedude

I was once in a class for learning sign language and one of the more advanced students went to a rattlesnake roundup in Texas.  :o

I guess is technique was not that good, and he got bit on the hand. They treated him but for a while he still had a problem.  :-\

You see, for a few weeks, he had a speech impediment....  ;D

Doc

I am with tnlogger....GOOD EATIN! Smells pretty bad cookin, but rattler is good eatin.

I like snakes.

Doc

Jeff

I can only stand to look at this thread every couple days.

sprucebunny

I'm with you, Jeff. Ever see someone cross a field of long grass without touching the ground ???  ;D
Seen it . Done it.               ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!