iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first forestry forum visitor !

Started by UNCLEBUCK, June 03, 2006, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I feel like I know almost all of you here on the forum but it just add's so much more to actually meet another member and Corley5 and his father stopped in to see me . Had them out walking in the tall grass looking at my old tractors when all of a sudden Corley says hey what kind of bug is this on my arm ? I said thats the same kind of bug thats crawling on your neck ,Corleys dad said hey I got one too and before ya know it , it looked like the leech scene from the movie the african queen with humphrey bogart . 

I stood silent and said oh yeah I forgot to mention that its woodtick season  :D 

Corley5 on the right

Corley and his father who just retired and enjoying the trip except for the woodtick patch !

The pig roast must be a blast to meet everyone in person , I must get out more ! Just had to show my first visitors  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Gary_C

I don't know if you will get many more after you told everyone about those pesky ticks.

Sometimes this time of year I will have 30 or more crawling up my pants after a walk in the woods.  :D

Can ticks fly?   ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bro. Noble

Is that an Adams Road Patrol in the background?  I used to pull one of those with a 10-20 Mc Cormic 8)

Seems like ours is a #3 ;D

Glad you had a good visit.  I'd put up with a few ticks to visit either one of you :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Brad_S.

If I ever bumped into these two guys together like this and they said "Circle mills have it all over band saw mills.", I would sheepishly nod my head in agreement and slink out the back way!  :o :D

Always fun to meet a FF brother in person.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

pasbuild

Heck I'd tell them like it is, the many advantages to a band mill ;D
only cause I think I can out RUN the both of um ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Those circle mill sawyers have a look dont they? 'cept Wenrich, he looks like a DanG forester.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don_Papenburg

A circle mill will allways sound better than a band mill.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

getoverit

I think them circle mill guys must watch the blade go around and around and it makes them a little loopy???

WAIT A MINUITE !! I own a circle mill.... well, kinda.... never mind ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Jeff

Look at those two bruisers in that photo Ken, you SURE you want to call them loopy?  I've worked with Greg. He carries and loads logs by hand and uses the tractor just for transportation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

When I first started with my bandmill, I used to use a tractor too.   But, I got tired of carrying the tractor and logs to the mill.  Never could figure out why someone would want to carry a tractor back and forth to the swamp.  I guess it's to ride back on, just in case you get tired. :-\ :P

CHARLIE

We've got wood ticks in my little patch of woods behind my house. So for awhile I just stay away from there. I do pick up a couple or three once in a while if I have to do something close to the woods though. I just make sure our dog is treated with "Frontline".

Burlkraft came to visit me a few weeks back and I don't think we had a problem with them. Maybe it was a bit early for them.

Now for a story about Tom.  Way back in the last century, even before Tom married Gael, I went to visit him for a day.  He was living in a little old single wide trailer on his 40 acres that he called Four 'T' Acres after Tom III, Tom IV, Timo and Toby (his 3 sons).  One sidenote, after Tom got married, Gael made sure that old singlewide was hauled out of there and a nice new doublewide hauled in. :D  Anyway, back to the story.  Tom got his .22 pistol and we walked through his swamp to the creek on a boardwalk he had built. Well, it was sort of a boardwalk and kept us from sinking in the mud.  He threw a stick out in the creek and we took turns shooting at it. As I remember..... ::) I never missed that little stick and had it dancing all over the water. We then headed back through the swamp, got in his Toyota 4 wheel drive truck....which he still has.....and headed to the Ford Tractor place for some parts for his tractor.  I was standing in the display room while Tom was getting the parts when I felt something on my arm......it was a woodtick. DanG if I didn't find 5 of them on me before we left there. It seems brother Tom forgot to tell me there was ticks in them thar woods. We got back to his trailer, showered and checked for more ticks. There wasn't any more but I felt them crawling on me for DanG near 3 days after that. :o  I hate ticks!  I ain't walked back in his swamp since then neither.     
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

I always wondered what had happened to those ticks.  They were the smartest ticks I've ever seen and I was going to make millions of dollars off of them.  Four of them formed a Barbershop Quartet and the fifth was a piano player.  They were really into Dixie-land, Gospel and old time close harmony.  I've spent a many afternoon listening to rag-time and Blues. 

Yessir!, always wondered what happened to'em.  :-\

UNCLEBUCK

Noble this is Corleys new toy and it did say Adams I believe stamped in the metal . The more I looked at it the more I wanted it . Things sure were made simple and strong at one time thats for sure !

Brad_S you made me laugh so hard I lost my wind !

Isnt it something how a little bug can bring us all that much closer  :D

You are all way too funny and I like it but I have never seen so many woodticks as today . It was hot and full sunshine and dry . I am sure when Corley hit the Michigan state line they got out and did a chinese fire drill and shook their shirts one last time because like Charlie said even when you are rid of these pesky little bugs you still think youre skin is crawlin !

I'll be the guy at the pig roast way down at the other end of the yard with the yellow tape around my area . Give a shout when you pass me by  :D

UNCLEBUCK

:D I remember a old cartoon I believe it was Droopy or some dog like him had a ragtime flea band on his back .

Patty

What a couple of characters in the photo! It is always fun to meet old friends isn't it.  I thought of Corley when we took down the barn. I had Norm pull out an old manure spreader that had been parked in there for the past 20 or 30 years. It says "New Idea" on the sides. Actually it is in great condition, and I'm thinking it would work good to spread saw dust from the mill out onto the fields. Norm isn't so convinced though....he said it just looked like more work for him.  ::)   
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Hey that's neat UB! I'm always impressed by the folks on here that I get to meet in person. :)

Patty and I met Greg and family at the piggy roast, nice folks. Now Greg you wouldn't want a genuine New Idea manure spreader would you.  ;D

asy

WOOD TICKS?!?!?!?!

No body EVER mentioned WOOD TICKS before!!!   smiley_curtain_peek smiley_smash smiley_horserider

Although, must admit, checking each other for 'ticks' has a certain appeal, depending on who's doing the checking...  :o  ;)
(although I imagine not for Buck and Corley!!!)

Corley, tell us about Buck's farm!!!  I can't wait to hear more!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

getoverit

I bet y'all dont have red bugs (chiggers) up in the great white north either...

They are so small that you cant see them, but man oh man can they cause some misery. They seem to have radar guidance also, and can home in on a certian spot every time.... not a good spot to be itching either
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Corley5

More pics to follow but if you'll please excuse me I need to check for ticks AGAIN.  I think I feel something crawling up my back  ::) :o ::) ;) :)  I had myself convinced I had them all yesterday til I found one this morning.  Ya really gotta pull to get the little b******s to come loose.  OK gotta go more later  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patty

WoW! It looks like Buck has a real nice farm there. I love the "shack"  smiley_thumbsup
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

asy

The "Shack" is so CUTE!!!

And I love the wide open space.

Would be a lovely place to be...

(Except there's WOOD TICKS)

Corley5

Well I think I can be sure now that I'm tick free but still get the crawly feeling on occasion  ::)  We spent last night in Wi. at relatives and they said that the ticks are the worst they've been in years there too.  I'm glad we don't have em here.  We had a super trip.  Yesterday was kinda long.  After leaving Uncle Buck's we headed south east across Mn. to Wisconsin Rapids, Wi to pick up the rest of our F-14 parts from last spring and then up to Klondike, Wi which is near Coleman for the night.  Long day.  Our first day out was nice.  We picked up the grader in Cold Spring, Mn and then went up to Uncle Buck's for the night.  Dad and I had the honor of being the first ones to spend a night in the shack  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  We really appreciate his hospitality and it is by far the nicest shack we've ever stayed in.
Uncle Buck's "Shack"

Corley5

Uncle Buck's 6-71 Detroit.  I want one too  ;D

The mill.  Nice setup. 

Corley5

UB's farm is great!  It's complete with old tractors, Hereford cattle, black topsoil, and a farm equipment boneyard 8) 8).  The area is beautiful and rolling with lakes and woods and woodticks ;)  Dad and I figured we could have made room on the trailer for that McCormick WD-9 but Uncle Buck didn't think it would fit  ;) ;D  I'm looking forward to another visit out there, with a little more time to explore, maybe saw a couple logs and no ticks. 

asy

Oh my GOSH it's so GORGEOUS!

Makes me wanna go visit it.

What's the fourth photo in the first set? (The dark one).

Buck, where DID you get those dining chairs? They're lovely...

Also, you've painted the walls my FAVOURITE wall colour...  WHITE! :D (I always use a colour called Antique White USA on the walls, maybe a nice 'feature wall', but otherwise white!)

Are the tiles cold in winter, or do you have that fantastic underfloor heating?

Thank You Sponsors!