Previous topic - Next topic

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

quilbilly

Since this has been brought back from the dead. What would a twin saw like a mobile dimension followed by a sash gang look like. Use the big edger blade and the drag back would do most of the moving. Push it straight into the sash and mill up the next can't while that one is going through
a man is strongest on his knees

4x4American

I think it'd look pretty silly..I dont think Mobile Dimensions are really cut out for cutting big cants and dragging them back but thats just
me
Boy, back in my day..

longtime lurker

Like Doug says the dragback is going to be your weak link. You need a variable height belt offbear so that as soon as the flitch is off the log the belt is taking load off the dragback... and y'know its just easier to feed the same resaw with a carriage headrig.

I've looked for years at that kinda combination and I can definitely see the potential there if you had the right logs for it (because lets face it  - thats a big log system if ever there was). I'd suggest that rather than a MD you need to be looking at a Duncan Beam Saw though... MD's bigger uglier brother with a steroid abuse issue . You start playing with big flitches all day and believe me you're going to want it built heavy so things dont break. The biggest of the Turbosaws is another one that offers potential but same issue... you got a ½ ton mill dragging around ¼ton flitches all day and it wont hold together for long.

Yanno I hate the idea of band headrigs but if you dont want a conventional carriage type headrig for primary breakdown - say if you wanted to be more transportable - one of those Sanborn slant rigs might fix the problem.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!