iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaws/Jonsonred

Started by JimMartin9999, December 09, 2002, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Rob..Jonnys have always been my favorite...but I do have a 272 Husky that I feel is unbeatable.....care to try?
Just Log It.

HORSELOGGER

Hey Den,  I have a 2095 Jonsered that I bought mildly used , and I have always been disapointed in its power, especially for its weight. My 046 can dust it bad. Do they respond to some mods? What would it take?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Dennis

Hey there...if you have an 046 that is beating your 2095, I hate to tell you that something is wrong with the 2095...The 2095 is a pretty good saw...not as good as the 066 stock...but nevertheless a good saw...It responds well to mods, as you can adapt any carb you want to it because of its intake.  It takes some work...but your 2095 can be a real cutter...I have two of my own in pieces to put together..but never find the time...give me a shout via email if you want to talk more.

Just Log It.

JimMartin9999

When I asked the original question, I should have mentioned that I was considering buying a Stihl PRO 026 due to its weight and power, this is a 49 cc engine.  I use it for TSI, mostly with trees up to 10inches DBH.  I use a 16 inch bar. I have to buy a saw in August  and would consider a Jonsenred, Husquarna or Stihl.  I want the power and low weight.  Can I also get a decent price and durability?
My dealer said that Stihls have two piston rings and Huskies only one and for that reason the latter donĀ“t hold up as well.  He said that there are lots of older  Stihls  being used and for sale but few Huskies.  Considering that Stihls cost more where do I get the most sawdust for my money?
Jim

Weekend_Sawyer

I would take into account the availability of parts and service in your area. I like the fact that Monday through Saturday I can walk into the shop, buy parts and supplies and get lots of free advice... lots ;). They know me and I like them.  

You can mail order parts and supplies but I like a more personal approach. I also prefer the mom and pop hardware stores over the megalomarts for the same reason.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TJACK

Dennis,

Why do yo say the 066 is better than the 2095?  Assuming the 2095 is the same as a 395, it has more HP than the 066 as publish in each companies data sheets (.1HP, I know big deal).  I do not know the RPM of the 066, but the 395 is 12,500.  Personally, I don't think the larger HP makes a difference and is sometimes a disadvantage, as the smaller 372 runs at a higher RPM, which is faster.  Granted, If you are cutting 28" + DBH hardwoods, the extra power is helpful.

TJACK

Dennis

Tjack...the same Tjack I am waiting for a carb for?  If so...just got word this morning that is was shipped...will be here Monday!! Finally!!

Regardless...the 066 comes out of the box with a bit better timing figures than most other saws..they can still use work to make them better, but they are pretty good.  The 2095 is a good saw...but I would still put (an old model) 066 against it anytime...the new 066's need the exhaust opened up a bit...

Dennis
Just Log It.

TJACK

Dennis,

No, I am not the same TJACK that needs a carb.  I live in Pennsylvania and I believe I am the only TJACK on the forum.  You said that you worked for Husqvarna.  Were you a dealer or did you work at their North American Headquarters?

TJACK

Oregon_Rob

My first saw was a J-red, mdl 80. It is old and no safety features, but I really liked that saw. When I bought it used, the bar studs had already been helicoiled and I used it for many years like that. Then I let someone else use it and now I fear it is beoynd repair. Power head still run good, so I can't get myself to give it up. :'(
If I were to by a brand new mid range saw, I would pick up the 2171 in a heart beat. ;)
Chainsaw Nerd

ADfields

Rob, you should be able to have it drill and tap a biger bolt in and then key that bolt in place so that the holes that were helicoiled can be repunched and taped.   That is if it's worth it to you to get it working.   If it's all striped down so it can be put onto a mill the repair would take about 15 minets or so I would think.
Andy

Dennis

Tjack..ok...thought you were someone else...lol...I worked for the B.C./Yukon Dist. of Husqvarna for 5 years....have been a Husky dealer....Worked for Jonsered as Northern BC/Yukon sales rep as well.  Been to the factories in Sweden, got the tshirt...lol...but am now a Jonsered dealer...the Jonsered dealership has been in my family for about 20 years..
Just Log It.

Mark M

Hi Dennis

Maybe you or someone else can help me. I have a Jonereds 630 I bought back in 1985.  I am trying to find out what the current model is thats about the same size? Do you know the hp or displacement of the 630? I also have a 70's vintage 621 that runs like a top. Up in Minnesota they were really popular.

Mark

Dennis

Mark...Jonsered makes two current models that fall into the 630 category...a 2163 and a 2165. Go check them out at your local dealer..(if there is one nearby.)...both really nice saws...I have modified several 2165's and they turn out real nice.
Just Log It.

Kevin

Dennis

Kevin ..yep it was...and a fantastic saw...the 600 series Jonsereds...(625, 630, 670) were, and still are great saws..very, very reliable...just like the Husky 60 series..(61, 266, 262).
Just Log It.

Jason_WI

I have a 2077T with a 28" bar. It is a well balanced saw and cuts great. I bought it for $200 last year from a guy that didn't use it much. Doesn't quite have as much snort as my dad's 281 husky but it can cut the big stuff with the 28" bar.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Scott

I'm using a Johnsered 630 superII right now on my dad's woodlot. The saw works great in my opinion (It's the only saw i've ever used :D). A few years back i asked a logger why you don't see many johnsereds around and he told me that theyre harder on gas than the huskies.

AtLast

EXCELLANT saws...comparable prices.....I keep waiting to see a Hundai  :D....NOT!!!!!!.....I like all the brands talked about here...own  Jons and a Shindawa ( climbing saw) and a Sthil...not really partial to any particular one...I really feel they are all excellant saws

Kevin

AtLast, are you an arbo by chance?

Dennis

Thought I would add a bit more to the fire.  Jonsered and Husqvarna are both owned by Elux.  The two saws are made on the same assembly line..saw it with my own eyes in Sweden in 1997. If you take the current models...for example the Husky 372 and the Jonsered 2171 you will notice that the part numbers for the crank, piston, cylinder, muffler, carb...etc...are identical.  The only difference in the saws today is the color its painted and a few minor parts.
Just Log It.

Thank You Sponsors!