iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaws/Jonsonred

Started by JimMartin9999, December 09, 2002, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMartin9999

When professionals talk about chainsaws, they almost always restrict the conversation to Hus ys and Stihls.  I would like to know why Jonsonreds are left out.
Jim

Rob

Good question,I don't think I know anyone personally that runs a Jonny..

swampwhiteoak

My understanding is that Husky's and Jonny's are near identical these days.  I think it probably has more to do with dealers than anything, with Husky and Stihl dealers being more numerous.

hosslog

Ayuh,Husky owns Jonsered and they are pretty much identical. Best part is Jonsered sells for a whole lot less.  :)

Larry

I ran a Johnsred for years and it was the great saw.  The fuel filter fell off in the tank and the carb filled up with crud.  Took it back to the shop three times to get it fixed right and every time I went in the chainsaw shop owner showed me a new Husky 272 and the price got cheaper on a trade each time I went in.  He finally hooked me and I traded.   The 272 is the best saw I own and I also have one of the other off color saws lurking in the shed.  Think it says 066 on the side and it only gets out when cubic inches are needed.

I don't discriminate on the color of the saw -- just buy from the dealer that can provide the best service.

Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

I see a few Jonsenreds around here and the fellows that have them like them very much.  Everyone says that they and the husky's come from the same factory.  Up until recently there was only one jonsenred dealer and there were husky dealer on every corner.  Now the Jonsenred dealer is still there and the husky dealers are all gone.  If I use up my Husky 61 then I may opt for a stihl before I use Home Depot for my chainsaw dealer.

Weekend_Sawyer

Sthil saws and dealers are everywhere around here. Huskey's are beginning to appear in some of the shops and I have never seen a Johnserd saw or dealer. Doesen't mean they arent here... I had to give up snake hunting for just the same reason ;)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Corley5

Nothing wrong with Jonsereds.  I ran one for years and loved it.  I've got a Husky now but that's only because the Jonsered dealer didn't have the size I wanted and I needed a saw NOW.  I couldn't be happier with my Husky.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Skully

In the 50cc saw size I have been running 026's for years.  I recently purchased a Jonsered 2149 with a modified muffler.  I will say that this saw will out cut a 026, is less expensive and the balance and feel are better in my opinion!

north_bugtussel

I have three Jonsreds,run em all. Have also had Huskies,  and ran them to the ground. Dealership changed to J'reds and so did I, they are the same outfit anyway. The only Stihl I ever ran was in the late 60's, the dealer that i went to for parts back then was trying them out and made me a "deal". At that time I was using McChoulac. The Stihl saw was pretty much unbalanced in feel, and would not pull a sick old woman off a pot :o I can't remember for sure, but think it was an 08 model. I'm sure that Stihls have gotten alot better since then. ;D
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

Ron Scott

I'm seeing more and more Jonsereds being used here. (See the Timber Harvesting and Logging Equipment Thread). The cutters using them like them. I saw a logger come in to a major Husky Dealer here last week and purchase two Jonsered saws as the Dealer sells both.
~Ron

ADfields

What you tryed loging with an 008 that you got for cheep and from that you dont like Sthil?   You cant judge the name from an 008.   Had you tryed an 028 or 038 and did not like then that would count but an 008?   I love all my Sthil's and have never found need to use a diferant brand.   Befor we found Sthil we had old McLunkers and Homelights, an 028 would out cut them both by twice so we never looked back.
Andy

north_bugtussel

AD, Did'nt say I don't like Stihl, fact is I would lve to try out a 046, But, I did say, that the only one I had was an 08, and was not worth much, I also said that things seem to have improved since back then ;D The closest dealer to me, is a couple of hours away, by a fast horse. That first saw (stihl) might a' been a stihl, but it was no bargain ::)
Life is full of changes..the secret to life...is to out-live the situation at hand. VB

ADfields

Thay have all got beter since the 60's, well not McLunkers but about all the others!   Dont mean nothing bad just saying you cant judge a name from the cheep end of the line, you cant buy a Geo and say GM's stuff is junk.   You get what you pay for.   I have never had a Huskey/Jonsered myself but I bet thay are fine saws, I just never had need to find out.
Andy

Dugsaws

I have a Jonsred 2150 and i love the saw,even if i dont get to use it very often, but when i ned a bigger saw i have an 046 Stihl that i do my felling with then use the jonny to trim with, and also use the jonny around the mill.
Doug

Whistler

I guess if my old jonses' would give up the ghost I would definitely buy a new one , but the 70s' 80s' and 90s' just keep on goin ! Hard to find air cleaners for them tho .. One local dealer had a new 70 air cleaner and another one had a 910  air cleaner . I couldn't believe my luck !    Just bought some rings for my 70s' as the compression is getting low on them .  time for a rebuild !

tony_marks

johnsonreds are well thot of just dont have the press . i have 2 solos that i consider as good as i own. have 2 stihl pro saws also..
 although my favorit has to be the 036.,just because it fits my work best. when im using a small saw the 634 solo comes out .
 if im bucking for any period of time its the solo 667. 69 cc..
 saw does all the work.. later now

Corley5

Those old 70s were good saws!!  Running run of them was the reason I switched from a Husky to Jonsered in the first place.  The old 65 Husky just couldn't compare to that 70 Jonsered.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

north_bugtussel

OK, now that we have a few folks admitting to using and likeing Jonsereds ;D, Has anyone ever tried a Walker ported muffler on one? Am thinking of a new 2171, and the Walker ported muffler sounds as if it may work to keep it running cooler,and add a little to the top end. Then, maybe I could buck'em up like thse fells in the Stihl Competitions ;D ;D

NEPAUG_LOGGER

I ran a 2065 and a 2083 Jonnyred, and they run great.  The 2083 was a little heavy for the power, but no worse than a 395.  I run Huskys now, and I prefer the feel of them better.  Plus the Jonsered dealer closed, so that pretty much made the decision to switch for me.  Ho Ho Ho
ANYONE SEEN MY KEYS?

north_bugtussel

;D ;D I saw the name Nepaug and guessed the location right off. Let me see, you must go to Winstead for Saw Dealer, a little shop next to the Pub on the north end of Main St., I want to say, Cavano, or some name like that? Or in Torrington to Ruett Sibbley? (was that thier name?) Do you cut on MDC property? Maybe some of those stands above Satans Kingdom ?

NEPAUG_LOGGER

I pretty much buy all of my saws and supplies off the internet and fix the broke parts myself.  The shop in Winsted stopped selling saws about 2 years ago.  This hillbilly I knew in Colebrook sold Jonsered, but he got in a big blowout with Tilton, so no more red huskys!  I've never cut on MDC land, only private jobs for a few family members, and local foresters.  The Big operators get all of the timber on MDC, deep pockets you know!  See ya....Lang
ANYONE SEEN MY KEYS?

ohsoloco

I am very happy with my 2165...just need to get around to buying a longer bar and chain for some of the big boys.  Of course, I still like to pull out the 026 for trimming and cutting small stuff since it's so much lighter.  The 026 belonged to my grandfather many years ago...can't talk too much about the longevity of the Jonsered, but it runs great.  

Dennis

I can honestly say that Jonsered is my favorite saw.  I like the feel and the power of the saws.  My family has been a Jonsered dealer for 20? years.  I personally own Jonsereds, Huskies, and Stihls.  I like my Jonsereds.  I worked for Husqvarna for 4 years and for Jonsered for 1 before coming back and taking over the family business.  I have modified in excess of 50? (Jonsereds) and they take very well to mods, just as Huskies do.  Typically the gains on the Stihls aren't as large, but that isnt saying they are bad saws.
I run a 2071, 111, 2 Super 930's and a 2077 right now.
Just Log It.

Rob

Hey Dennis,

Welcome aboard....So Jonsered's are your favorite saws now  :oHave you been keeping busy up there lately,any new saws your working on??

Later Rob..

Dennis

Rob..Jonnys have always been my favorite...but I do have a 272 Husky that I feel is unbeatable.....care to try?
Just Log It.

HORSELOGGER

Hey Den,  I have a 2095 Jonsered that I bought mildly used , and I have always been disapointed in its power, especially for its weight. My 046 can dust it bad. Do they respond to some mods? What would it take?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Dennis

Hey there...if you have an 046 that is beating your 2095, I hate to tell you that something is wrong with the 2095...The 2095 is a pretty good saw...not as good as the 066 stock...but nevertheless a good saw...It responds well to mods, as you can adapt any carb you want to it because of its intake.  It takes some work...but your 2095 can be a real cutter...I have two of my own in pieces to put together..but never find the time...give me a shout via email if you want to talk more.

Just Log It.

JimMartin9999

When I asked the original question, I should have mentioned that I was considering buying a Stihl PRO 026 due to its weight and power, this is a 49 cc engine.  I use it for TSI, mostly with trees up to 10inches DBH.  I use a 16 inch bar. I have to buy a saw in August  and would consider a Jonsenred, Husquarna or Stihl.  I want the power and low weight.  Can I also get a decent price and durability?
My dealer said that Stihls have two piston rings and Huskies only one and for that reason the latter don´t hold up as well.  He said that there are lots of older  Stihls  being used and for sale but few Huskies.  Considering that Stihls cost more where do I get the most sawdust for my money?
Jim

Weekend_Sawyer

I would take into account the availability of parts and service in your area. I like the fact that Monday through Saturday I can walk into the shop, buy parts and supplies and get lots of free advice... lots ;). They know me and I like them.  

You can mail order parts and supplies but I like a more personal approach. I also prefer the mom and pop hardware stores over the megalomarts for the same reason.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TJACK

Dennis,

Why do yo say the 066 is better than the 2095?  Assuming the 2095 is the same as a 395, it has more HP than the 066 as publish in each companies data sheets (.1HP, I know big deal).  I do not know the RPM of the 066, but the 395 is 12,500.  Personally, I don't think the larger HP makes a difference and is sometimes a disadvantage, as the smaller 372 runs at a higher RPM, which is faster.  Granted, If you are cutting 28" + DBH hardwoods, the extra power is helpful.

TJACK

Dennis

Tjack...the same Tjack I am waiting for a carb for?  If so...just got word this morning that is was shipped...will be here Monday!! Finally!!

Regardless...the 066 comes out of the box with a bit better timing figures than most other saws..they can still use work to make them better, but they are pretty good.  The 2095 is a good saw...but I would still put (an old model) 066 against it anytime...the new 066's need the exhaust opened up a bit...

Dennis
Just Log It.

TJACK

Dennis,

No, I am not the same TJACK that needs a carb.  I live in Pennsylvania and I believe I am the only TJACK on the forum.  You said that you worked for Husqvarna.  Were you a dealer or did you work at their North American Headquarters?

TJACK

Oregon_Rob

My first saw was a J-red, mdl 80. It is old and no safety features, but I really liked that saw. When I bought it used, the bar studs had already been helicoiled and I used it for many years like that. Then I let someone else use it and now I fear it is beoynd repair. Power head still run good, so I can't get myself to give it up. :'(
If I were to by a brand new mid range saw, I would pick up the 2171 in a heart beat. ;)
Chainsaw Nerd

ADfields

Rob, you should be able to have it drill and tap a biger bolt in and then key that bolt in place so that the holes that were helicoiled can be repunched and taped.   That is if it's worth it to you to get it working.   If it's all striped down so it can be put onto a mill the repair would take about 15 minets or so I would think.
Andy

Dennis

Tjack..ok...thought you were someone else...lol...I worked for the B.C./Yukon Dist. of Husqvarna for 5 years....have been a Husky dealer....Worked for Jonsered as Northern BC/Yukon sales rep as well.  Been to the factories in Sweden, got the tshirt...lol...but am now a Jonsered dealer...the Jonsered dealership has been in my family for about 20 years..
Just Log It.

Mark M

Hi Dennis

Maybe you or someone else can help me. I have a Jonereds 630 I bought back in 1985.  I am trying to find out what the current model is thats about the same size? Do you know the hp or displacement of the 630? I also have a 70's vintage 621 that runs like a top. Up in Minnesota they were really popular.

Mark

Dennis

Mark...Jonsered makes two current models that fall into the 630 category...a 2163 and a 2165. Go check them out at your local dealer..(if there is one nearby.)...both really nice saws...I have modified several 2165's and they turn out real nice.
Just Log It.

Kevin

Dennis

Kevin ..yep it was...and a fantastic saw...the 600 series Jonsereds...(625, 630, 670) were, and still are great saws..very, very reliable...just like the Husky 60 series..(61, 266, 262).
Just Log It.

Jason_WI

I have a 2077T with a 28" bar. It is a well balanced saw and cuts great. I bought it for $200 last year from a guy that didn't use it much. Doesn't quite have as much snort as my dad's 281 husky but it can cut the big stuff with the 28" bar.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Scott

I'm using a Johnsered 630 superII right now on my dad's woodlot. The saw works great in my opinion (It's the only saw i've ever used :D). A few years back i asked a logger why you don't see many johnsereds around and he told me that theyre harder on gas than the huskies.

AtLast

EXCELLANT saws...comparable prices.....I keep waiting to see a Hundai  :D....NOT!!!!!!.....I like all the brands talked about here...own  Jons and a Shindawa ( climbing saw) and a Sthil...not really partial to any particular one...I really feel they are all excellant saws

Kevin

AtLast, are you an arbo by chance?

Dennis

Thought I would add a bit more to the fire.  Jonsered and Husqvarna are both owned by Elux.  The two saws are made on the same assembly line..saw it with my own eyes in Sweden in 1997. If you take the current models...for example the Husky 372 and the Jonsered 2171 you will notice that the part numbers for the crank, piston, cylinder, muffler, carb...etc...are identical.  The only difference in the saws today is the color its painted and a few minor parts.
Just Log It.

Thank You Sponsors!