iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood You Be Mine?

Started by Deadwood, June 01, 2006, 09:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently the local newspaper did an article about my unique woodworking that I thought some of you would like to see. The reporter did an excellent job of gleaning all the information I gave him and bringing it down to a short article. Between the pictures and text, you get a good insight into how I used my woodworking skills to propose to my wife, get ready for an upcoming baby (due in 5 weeks) and explains why I build so many custom wooden models.

What I really liked was how the article converys the idea that woodworking at a younger age can really enhance your life like no other hobby can. At least I think the article comes across that way.

Here is the link in any case: Village Soup: Wood You Be Mine?Villiage Soup: Wood You Be Mine

Jeff

Nice write-up Travis. :) First I saw the Marriage porposal. Thats a good one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Nice works of art Travis, and nice write-up. I could see 300 hrs getting eaten up easily on those projects.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

thedeeredude

Thats a nice article guy 8)  And a unique proposal,too. Congrats on the baby on its way. 

Tom

That's a good article for the scrap book. 

Newspapers used to do a lot of that, writing about local talent or events.  It seems that, today, everyone is too interested in being "International" to look out their back door.   You're lucky to have such writer a in your local paper.

scsmith42

Trav - that article, as well as your hobby, is WAY COOL!  Thanks for sharing.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Engineer

Travis, that's the way to go!  I wish I had time to build the cradle and crib for the kids, but I tell myself that there will probably be grandkids that I can build things for.  We have one on the way as well, so there a temptation to quickly put something together - but I won't.  My family will have to settle for a new house, and the kid sleeps in something from the store.

There's a few of us that got bit by the woodworking bug at an early age. I've had a pretty decent shop since I was about 15, started out about ten years old making stuff from discarded scraps from the former Stanley Tools plant down the street from school.   I belong to a big woodworking club that has over 1000 members, and 95% of them are retirees.  There's probably only five or six of us under age 40.

Your wife should talk to mine - especially after I get the house done, she's gonna be a "shop widow" too.   :D ::)

gary

Daren

Neat. I like the picture with the wood held with screw clamps and you pushing a plane, not to mention of course your finished work. Details, details, keep up the good work.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

UNCLEBUCK

That was a very cool write up indeed ! More power to ya Deadwood !

Your woodshop sounds very nice like the Woodwrights Shop  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Rockn H

That was a good article and deffinately something to keep and show the grandkids one day. 8)

fat olde elf

great work and so young !!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Deadwood

Thanks for all the complements. Overall I am quite pleased with the article, but more so that you were impressed. As the saying goes, it is one thing to fool the fans, but to impress the players you skate with, is another form of recognition onto its own.

So far I have heard a lot of positive comments come out of this. Because the community where I live is pretty small, it was nice to get the chance to talk to new people as I go about my daily errands because they recognize me from the paper.

It was a nice change to get some of these models out where the public can see them. A few are gracing the lobbies of a few prominent companies, but most are tucked inside the homes of peoples living rooms. Its for a good reason, after spending years riding in some of this equipment, they cherish the machines and the models.

As far as my age goes, I am pretty proud of what I accomplished in 32 years. Hopefully I'll improve even more in the next 32 years.

Thank You Sponsors!