iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little househole help.

Started by DanG, May 31, 2006, 11:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

We finally got started on the new house! ;D 8) 8) 8)

This is my Son-in-law on the backhoe, digging the footings.  It went very well, and we are getting right along with trueing them up and smoothing the bottoms out.  Should be ready to set rebar this weekend and pour some concrete next week! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

swampy

It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

CHARLIE

That reminds me of a contractor in Fort Pierce back in the 1960's that would dig the footings, lay in the rebar and let the inspector inspect it and sign it off. When the inspector left, he'd pull out the rebar and pour the concrete and use the rebar on the following jobs.  I don't know if he ever did get caught at it.  Sounded like everyone knew he did it except the inspector. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

swampy

The inspector probably could not see past the thick enevlope of cash every friday to not know. I would see it alot in so. fla. on the jobs that we put irrigation in. The guy would walk up to the building and sign off on it and the builder would meet him at the car with the enevolpe of cash.
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

DanG

SHUCKS!  Ya mean I coulda just borrowed that rebar instead of shelling out $1500 for it?!  Maybe I can recover my investment if I pull it back out and rent it to somebody else. ;D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

But....Wait....DanG...You forgot to dig the basement :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

woodbowl

It's about time you started diggin'! I was wunderin' if you were waiting for it to warm up or cool off again.  ::) 

Looking good.  8)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Captain

I thought if you dug deeper than 18" anywhere in Florida, the hole would fill up with water ;D

DanG

Yup.  If'n I dug a basement, I'd have an indoor pool.  I got lucky and found a dry spot there.  Water table is 43" down.  Yep, there's two of them little marks by that 43! :D :D  That's why it is taking 27 yards of concrete for a house with only a 1120 sf footprint.

Qweaver

Congrats DanG,

I hope you have more luck with the weather than we did.  Are you pouring a slab also?  We used 22 yards of concrete on a 768 sq ft footer/slab combo, plus nearly another 2 yards to fill the blocks. 
Do you have an outline plan you can post?
Considering the work it is to get that re-bar in...I don't think it would be worth the cost of the re-bar to pull it back out.  ::)
Good Luck!
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

DanG

Thanks, Quinton!  No slab, just footings for a perimeter stem wall, a smaller foundation for the stairwell, and another "outter perimeter" footing to carry piers for the porch.  There are also 7 interior piers that will need footings.

beenthere

When we see a yard that looks like that, we set out the mole traps.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Where's all the gravel and big rocks in those dirt piles? You dig a hole that big here and you can build a BBQ out of the rocks that come out of it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Murf

Der's sumat da matter wit my eyes dis' mornin!!!!

I read that thread title as "mousehole" not "househole" ......

When I saw da picture I thought land sakes alive!!! Them little critters is organized down der in Flureeda, dey even got a digger-ma-thingey!!!

:D  :D  :D  :D

Good goin' on da new place alla same der DanG!!!    8)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Engineer

Can't imagine living in a house without a basement, but hey, that's us Yankees for yah.

I did a site plan and septic design for a guy this past winter, and he just got done digging his cellar hole.  Took him 12 hours with a 21-ton machine, and I bet if you sifted out the dirt from the fractured ledge rock, you'd be hard pressed to fill up a pickup truck bed.  Good thing it was all broke up, or he'd be spending big $$$$ on some blasting.

woodbowl

Quote from: Engineer on June 01, 2006, 04:41:24 PM
Can't imagine living in a house without a basement, but hey, that's us Yankees for yah.

I would really like to have a basement, but it would be full of water most of the year. I guess that's just southern for yah.

Can you imagine if our Great, Great, Great, Great, Grand pappys had taken a different turn in the wagon, all the Yankees coulda' wound up down south and all the red necks coulda' went up north?

That means that all of yall northern folks would sound like rednecks.  ;D and all of us rednecks would sound like Yankees.

DanG .......... you would even sound like a Yankee.  8)

Somethin' don't sound right does it?  ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

UNCLEBUCK

Congrats DanG !  I dont have a basement as I hate stairways . Did make a tornado proof walk in shower for bad storms though.

Its a good thing like you said you smooth out the bottom of the footings . My dad does backflips when he see's  contractors digging footings with teeth on the buckets but I be keeping grandpa out of this thread  ;D

Hope to see lots of progress pictures and also hope you dont have any hurricanes that will bother you while building  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

DanG

Tell yer Pa to relax, UB. :)  There were teeth on the bucket, but we dug them a bit shallow and are finishing them out with a shovel.  Then I'm renting a plate compactor to buzz them with before the final grading.  Them holes are getting so pretty, I hate to pour that ugly old mud in them. :D

woodbowl

I never gave it much thought about a smooth bottem for concrete. Recon it's got to do with unequal pressures or somethin huh?

Quote from: DanG on June 02, 2006, 11:43:31 AM
Them holes are getting so pretty, I hate to pour that ugly old mud in them.

I got a feeling that it ain't the ugly ole mud in the pretty holes that's making you wiggle.

Just look at it this way DanG.

$$$
                        $$$$$
                   $$$$$$$$$$$
                  $$$$$$$$$$$$
                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                   $$$$$$$$$$$$$
                                $$
                                    $$
                                        $$
                                            $$
                                               $$
                                  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                            ;D

beenthere

Flat-bottom trenches......
Around here it has to do with pleasing the building inspector. If the foundation footings are not dug flat and square, it gets done over (if they catch one at it). Think here it has to do with maintaining uniform thickness of concrete, and not having weaker, thin edges.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

In my opinion, basements are nothing but wannabe swimming pools. It is only a matter of time till they achieve their heart felt ambition - usually at the worst possible time too!

Never turn your back on a basement...

Looking pretty DanG good Dang.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Larry

Congratulations on the start DanG...wishing you a successful and happy journey.

Make sure ya read the rule book good...built a shed/garage in a county with codes one time...and code enforcement officers.  Found out they got rules for everything including rebar...how much overlap, how ya tie, what kind of chairs, and don't know what else.  My code enforcement officer found where I was little short on overlap...said the shed might fall down. ??? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DanG

That's pretty much the way it is here, BT.  A pretty trench shows that you took pains to make the job right.  Word is that they never actually measure anything.

Larry, 29" is the required overlap here.  The BI stamped it right on the plans in red ink.

Y'all don't worry.  I'm going by something I read over on one of the building forums..."Built to code" means, "built as poorly as the law will allow!"  I'm gonna go the extra mile everywhere I can afford it. ;D

thecfarm

Building codes?You guys need to get away from it all.All that got inspected here was the plumbing.House is still standing after 6 years.Oh yea,can't forget about the tax assement guy.He did some inspecting. $$$$$$  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

UNCLEBUCK

A long time ago my dad said the building inspector in st.paul red tagged a job on him when the inspector showed up and then left , he kept the cement trucks coming and added the rebar and put the tag in his lunch box and never heard another word about it . 

He said Dang's trenches and ideas are  fantastic .  He seems to know everyone here but sometimes he looks at me and says who are you ?  :D I think he's got a touch of the Ronald Reagan coming on  :)

UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!