iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stolen gas tank

Started by swampy, May 31, 2006, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampy

Well it happened last nite. Some stupid ignoramous stole the gas tank off ole homey >:( >:(.  It only had less than a gallon of gas in it. If I ever get ahold of the booob that took it, he will be in a serious case of pain. Was going to sit over there and wait for him to come back and give him a case of lead poisoning, but I figured I would get in more trouble than I could handle. Everybody that has a mill, CHAIN and LOCK your fuel tanks to the mill or you just might find yours missing to. I was told by a police officer than happened by the shop that he could not do anything about. He said I should have put all the stuff in the shop so they could not steal things. I said why instead of protecting the doughnut shops they make sure that things don't get ripped off and he got  *pithed and told me to watch what I say. ::) ::) I saw on TV that they told farmers to lock up their tractors and thing so people don't steal the fuel. The farmers that don't have buildings to lock them in asked what they should do and the state cop told them to hire security guards. What is wrong with this picture? Just tired of paying for protection for the local police and getting nothing in return except excusses why they can't do anything about it.  Ed
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

asy

Gosh Swampy, that's AWFUL news!!!

Do ya think they'll come back???

You must be superfrustrated.

Sure hope you aren't held up too long from getting Homey up and running again.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

swampy

Never a hold up on running homey. ;D Got extra gas tank. I went over to the shop before and took off the water tank and removed the batteries just in case they do come back. God help them if I find out who it was.
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

sawguy21

That is BAD. All that for less than a gallon of gas. ::) Fuel theft is becoming a real problem although in your case it was probably kids looking for a go kart tank.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

swampy

I don't guess it would bother me so much but not only did they steal the gas and the tank, but they stole the strap that held it to the mill too. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( They could have at least left the tank and strap.

Tom

More like a Boater looking for a spare boat tank.  

There is one community in S. Georgia where I would lose my 3 gallon tank off of my woodmizer every time I had a job there.  they would apparently take it right out from under my nose when I broke the mill down and left.

Corley5

Sorry to hear about about that Ed.  I know how you feel but they didn't get any from me this time.  Somebody tried stealing gas out of my wood processor sometime in the last couple weeks.  I hadn't used it in about that long until yesterday.  As I was doing my pre start up check I see the gas cap was hanging off the tank by its chain.  I know I didn't leave it that way.  There's a screen in the filler that prevents a hose being inserted so they didn't get any gas.  I dumped in some dry gas to dry it out as  we've had a bunch of rain and I don't know how long the cap was off.  It ran fine no problems but it makes me nervous.  The machine is sitting in the barnyard a couple hundred feet from Grandma's house.  The best part is there was a FULL five gallon can sitting under the machine behind the toolbox.  If they would've looked at all they would've seen it.  It wasn't hidden but not in plain view.  They may have been scared off too who knows ???  We haven't had any gas siphoned out of any tractors YET but most gas thieves today probably think all tractors run on diesel 8)  One time Grandpa was making hay on the neighbors place and thought it'd be safer to park the tractor right under the security light.  Since they two hands to work with (no need to hold a flashlight) they drained the old girl dry.  It wouldn't even start the next day  ::)  From then on he parked them behind the barn in the dark and nobody bothered them  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

swampy

It was a modified 5 gal gas can ( as was everything on ole homey Modified that is) :D  Boat tank will not fit the base we built for it.

swampy

I was going to find a used gas can and put about 1.5 gallons of gas and 5 lbs of sugar in it. I would find out who did it when I travel in about a 2 mile radius of the shop. That might deture some one from stealing from me again.

sawguy21

swampy

Getting mad is not for me. Getting even is the best. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jeff

SOB's broke into two of the 3 vehicles in our drive on Monday night. I stayed up all night last night with my 36 inch logrite hookaroon but all I got was no sleep. If I catch em in a car again, I figure on burying that hookaroon in some part of thier anatomy to drag em out.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Hook the camera up and point it at the driveway.  Those things are supposed to be able to work with UV, aren't they?

swampy

I'd rolll them up on homey pinch them between the log stops and the clamp and fire that baby up.

J_T

Mix liquid corn syurp in gas leave it for them ???
Jim Holloway

CHARLIE

Swampy, I like your idea of putting sugared gas in a tank and leave it there at night for them to steal. The only problem I see with it is......it might make 'em mad and they might come back with sawmill destruction in mind.

I have yet to see any police department look for thieves or stolen goods. They'll fill out a report and if they happen to stumble on the goods when arresting someone for something, they'll either give it back or sell it at their auction.  I reckon they are too busy with all the other crimes to worry about theft. >:(

Back in 1967, I was working for the Fort Pierce Power Plant.  A contractor was losing gas out of a huge gas tank he had on site. One day he drained the gas out and put in a few gallons of diesel.  The following day the 3rd shift Power Plant Operator was mad as He!!.  He had filled his tank up with that diesel and didn't even make it home.  He didn't think it was right that the contractor switched fuels. It didn't seem to bother him that he was stealing.  But he got fired anyway. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

swampy

It's not about the other crimes. It is that they don't want to do the paper work or do the job of looking for the thief. There is not that much going on around here to take up that much of their time. But roll thru a stop sign or not wear a seat belt and they are right there to jump all over you.  ??? ???::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Tom

It pays better than stopping crooks.

swampy

You are right!!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

dancan

a friend of mine gave me several motors before the victoria day weekend some 5hp sideshaft some lawnmower around 6hp i didnt get to test them so i brought the 5s in the shop and left the others in the back of the shop truck ...Gone... but at least the left my jackall and a duck decoy .

Teri

I was waiting for the phone call saying you got him.

and I also had the bail money waiting,just in case!! ;)

mikeandike

A Dog is certainly a man's best friend. He sees and hears things around
the place when you sleep and at least the dogs we have had and the
one I do have, thinks that all the Stuff is his.

We have a business with alarms, cameras etc that got burglarized several
times until we put up bars, etc. No good to catch them, the damage is done.
Got reparations once from one.

Nobody wants to fool with a dog esp. at night. :o

I couldn't live in a place with leash laws. My closest neighbors are on good
terms with my dog. He helps us all out.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

twoodward15

The old sugar in the gas thing really doesn't work.  They actually did it on Myth busters.  Didn't do anything.  I'd put a can of diesel out though and see who's car is parked on the side of the road the next day!!!  Even better, i'd buy 4.5 gallons of gas and get some 2 stroke oil and mix it up.  Try to make it inconspicuous and then the next day you'll see whats smoking.  maybe find some oil that's not green, some red or something.  you'll see who steals your gas real quick.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

swampy

In the area around here, 8 out of every 10 cars smoke so that would not work. They do keep the skeeters away. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fla._Deadheader

Problem is, the shop is in the low life section of Florida. Actually, it's ALL becoming low life in that area.   Why y'all think I left??

Rent is sky high anywhere else, so, this is barely affordable.  ::) ::)

Anybody got an old Model "T" coil  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Re: sugar in the gas---  Don't believe everything you see on TV. Just gotta wait a couple days for it to crystalize. Wanna get some REAL power to your engine ???  Try moth balls 8) 8) 8) 8)   Don't plan on starting it again, after you shut it off for the night, though  8) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

swampy

I was going to do the moth ball trick and still might.  ;D ;D ;D :o :o smiley_heh_heh smiley_heh_heh

GF

Think I would have a backup fuel tank that I would swap it out with each night, put half gas and another mixture such as sulphuric acid in it and set it up there for them to take.  Just make sure the can you have is plastic.

thedeeredude

They'd probably try and get a lwasuit against you for wrecking their car. ::)

scsmith42

Swampy, if you really want to have some fun, attach a flash-bang (military practice grenade) to the bottom of the fake gas tank so that it's string is pulled when the tank is heisted.

It shouldn't hurt 'em permanent, but I betcha that you wouldn't get ripped off again... <evil grin>

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

twoodward15

Well, I actually used to put mothballs in my gas. Raises the octane (or so I was told) I drove it around for a few years before I sold it.  It was a 74 duster with a 340 in it (not original obviously).  It was fast.  Never caused any problems in that.

VA-Sawyer

I would put out a 50/50 mix of diesel and gas for them. It will smell like gas if they sniff it, and it will ruin just about any gas engine they put it in. 
Be careful with setting booby traps that go bang or might cause bodily harm. The bad guys seem to do pretty good in such lawsuits.  It is a shame how our legal system works today.
VA-Sawyer

Flurida_BlackCreek

three to five gallons of muraic acid oughta make their day. I'd like to be the one to tear the engine down  ;D .
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

WH_Conley

Gas theft is getting bad around here too. I live 1/4 mile off the road with a driveway that you can't turn in. With the mill and trucks I always have gas. Had company the other night, bout midnight, dog said we did anyhow, he said they were up the drive. Two rounds of shot from the 870 30" full up the drive, dog said they left. I took his word for it and went to bed. No gas missing since ;D.
Bill

Don_Papenburg

Funny how a few crakling "words" make people rethink their actions.
You can't booby trap >:( ,but  that old troule light with the copper showing through the electical tape in spots could be forgotten where it contacts the metal of your machine .  Make sure you unplug it in the morning. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Rockn H

swampy, I hate to hear that.  People with no respect for others property really get me worked up.  I hope you find out who it was.  If the tank was "modified" maybe you'll spot it somewhere.
That myth busters episode is one I missed, but a friend was just telling me about it today.  I'm with Deadhead.  They must have done something wrong because sugar will definately mess up some valves. ;)

Don, I like the bare wire idea, although I keep thinking about the thief that fell through the sky light and landed on a kitchen knife and sued the little old lady he was trying to rob. >:(
A long time ago a used car dealer here had a battery problem.  Somebody kept stealing them.  So he waited with #8 one night and peppered an old boy carrying off a battery.  On the way home he took off his long sleeve shirt and rubber gloves, no powder residue, and threw the old gun in the ditch where he could find it.  The police came by and questioned him about a man at the hospital gettin a lot of shot picked out of his back side.  Since the man was obviously up to something and the owner had no sign of shooting any firearms recently the police only stayed about ten minutes and nothing else was said.
(The preceeding story was just an archetype remembrance and in no way does the writer condone such actions) ;D ::)

Now about the surveilence cameras, if anyone has a cheap source, I would love to know about it.  About 2 months ago we had some pranksters up at the trailer.  It's way off the road and these guys tore up my hood latch so they could take my battery out and put it in the bed of the truck.  My wife had just bought the battery that day. >:(  They put all the bolts back in the holddowns and the connectors on the battery.  They also started to pull the radiator hose off the thermostat. >:(  Like I said they didn't take anything they just caused a lot of aggrevation, because my wife couldn't open the hood even after she found the battery and realized why the truck wouldn't crank. >:( >:(
Now the neighbors, well people in the area, are having gas theives visit them.
I want pics of people coming in and going out of my property.  Nowadays taking care of problems youself seem to be frowned on by law enforcement when they are called in by the problem makers.  So I want a photo to prove they were there and they did it.  Something like "see there's my 4-wheeler in the back of your truck driving down my driveway" one neighbor would love to have a pic of whoever stole his last month. ;)  Even if the photo does no good legaly at least I'll know. ;)

Bill

Pain in the #$%. I hate to see people taking/destroying what's not theirs. In PA I believe the law says that the property owner or business owner can shoot first and the intruder has to prove they were entitled to be there - not likely if you own the place. However the ( liberal ) media doesn't take to kindly to people using self defense and rarely if ever reports it. So I don't even know if its been tested in the courts let alone whether you'd pull it off. Before trying anything like this I'd talk to your local police and district attorney since this is could be considered over reacting. On the other side I hear they used to pretty much string up horse thieves without to much in the way of a trial.

I think the diesel fuel mix or maybe putting in a bunch of water mixed in with the gas - either coulda been just bad luck and you'd likely find the culprit when the motor shut down.   ;D

Hope you find them  .  .  .

VA-Sawyer

I prefer the 50/50 diesel mix over water mix. You can fix a 'water in the gas tank' problem  with just a little labor. Diesel mix can cause EXPENSIVE damage to a gas engine.  Something around 10 to 15 percent diesel in the tank is about the worst ( maybe I should say 'best' ) because the engine wil start and run long enough to beat itself to death. Too much diesel, and it runs so bad they will quickly know they have a problem ( and where it came from ) and shut it down before too much damage happens. Not enough, and it will take too long to get the results you want.
     Ideally, I would like them to end up with an engine that is trashed so bad, it isn't really rebuildable.  Even better if it leaves them broke down on the road, in the swamp, on a moonless night.   ;)  Hey, Swampy, they would be right down your alley then. Maybe you could introduce them to some of your Gator friends.  ;D
" Gee, Officer, It looks like their car broke down and they tried to walk through the swamp in the dark. Not a very smart thing to do wouldn't you agree, sir ?"   :D   :D
VA-Sawyer

Ron Wenrich

The only problem with putting diesel in the gas is that you can smell the diesel.  Several years ago, I bought some gas that had some diesel in it.  The local station had a fill up, but the truck driver didn't clean out his tank and had several hundreds of gallons of diesel in the truck.  Then, he filled with regular gas.

I could smell the diesel as soon as I filled up.  I drove for awhile on the stuff.  It started hard and idled rough, especially before it got warmed up.  On the highway, no problem.  I got a couple of free tanks of gas from the station for my troubles.

I also remember that back during the oil embargo there was a guy who was running his pickup on straight diesel.  It smoked and ran rough.  He said that at highway speed, it was OK.  At that time, diesel was a lot cheaper than gas.  He ran it for several months, but I don't know if it died or not. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scsmith42

To my knowledge, diesel mixed into gasoline (up to 50%) will not cause long term damage to a gasoline motor. 

I once tore down a motor that had run that way for thousands of miles - intentionally on the part of the owner (similar to Ron W's friend).  It was the CLEANEST motor inside that I had ever seen - absolutely no carbon buildup on the valves, pistons, etc.

The cylinder walls had a little bit more wear - probably because the owner was not running a diesel grade of engine oil.  I recall that the engine had about 170,000 miles on it, and this was back in the early 80's.

Now gasoline mixed into diesel - in a diesel motor - that's another story...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

All these "additives" in the tank seem like great fun, but wouldn't it be easier to just put the tank in the shed at night?  Changing the fuel in the tank twice a day seems like an awful pain. ??? ::)  Besides, it would be great fun to just give the guy a good old fashioned asskicking. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don_Papenburg

Rockin H , so you would refuse to use my trouble light?  How about one of them old electric fencers .  I mean old the kind that where around when DanG was a pup .   The ones that never pulsed ,constant voltage continuously till the power went out or you unpluged it .  Bulldozer is a brand my dad had .

Fla._Deadheader

Gheeze, nobody noticed my call for a Model T coil ???  Am I THAT old ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

No FDH
You were just active busy at an early age.  ;D 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

twoodward15

DanG, that was so funny I can't stop laughing.   "Besides, it would be great fun to just give the guy a good old fashioned asskicking. "

Tim L

I had a boss years ago that had a welder stolen. So on his big welding trailer he installed a sure shock electric fence charger  ! As far as I know nothing ever went missing after that. In my neck of the woods we carry guns, (all of us) the crime rate seems lower here than nearby Concord.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Don_Papenburg

Have you explained that to your politions yet?   Seems most of them miss that point . Or maybe not as most of them are crooks ,and skeared of constituants with guns.

Tim L

It's not uncommon to hear gunfire as the neighbors target shoot or take care of a varmint. Sometimes we target shoot together. If outsiders hear the noise and it's a deterrent , all the better. Around my small lot (16 acres) or the neighbors several hundred we carry sidearms. You know the story, better to have and not need than need and not have ! As far as thieves I do believe it comes around I just hope you get to hear about it. I had a friend years ago who had a bunch of power tools stolen from his steel shop along with a monogrammed sweater (it was fall and cold) The police actually caught this clown with the sweater ! (guess he liked it ) and solved numerous burglaries from the contents of his garage .
Do the best you can and don't look back

Rockn H

Now Don, I said I liked the extension cord idea. :)  I just think I would like a picture or two of'em so that I could go with DanGs idea.  I just like his better. :D

Don_Papenburg

;D ;D ;D ;D   I like DanGs idea to but they don't stick around long enough to get an asskicken.

Don P

About every other year some kids take out the mailboxes. Well, the neighbor reported it after they got smashed recently. Word came back not to worry, they had some ideas. A new mailbox was sitting down at the mill the other day.
Small town, from another grapevine I know who did it ... thats 1  ;).

I went to check on a potential job at a house a few years ago. The missus was the only one home besides the pets. I was invited in and toured the place accompanied by a massive but friendly great dane. We got along fine till I took a motion towards the door. It seems he was trained in the hotel california style. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave  :D. We were fine again as long as she let me out, I liked that dog.

asy

One of my favourite songs there Don.

Sounds like just the dog Swampy needs!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Don_Papenburg

Years ago  a guy had a dog that would be so nice till you picked up one of the guys tools then all hell broke loose . 

sawguy21

News report yesterday said the police tried to pull over a scooter because the guy had no helmet. He made a run for it, crashed the stolen scooter then took off on foot...right into a steel pole. He woke up in custody. :D :D :D :D

sawdust

Neighbour of mine ran a tow truck, he had spare 5 gal cans on the back. He was pretty sure the kid next door was stealing the gas and putting the cans back! He put a whole bunch of styrofoam cups in the gas where they dissoved and dissapeared. Terry said the best part was he got the call to tow the truck with a dead motor back home.   8)

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

PineNut

Several years ago, a pipeline company around here discovered a tap on one of their lines. They came out one night with a cement pump, disconnected the pipe and pumped cement through the pipe and back into the thief's equipment. I am sure he had a surprise when he found his tanks filled up with cement.

Murf

I used to have a problem with someone emptying fuel cans and mowers, etc., of any gas, they even went so far as to break into my shop to do it. Everybody suspected who was doing it, a neighbours kid, the parents were talked to but denied, in fact were offended, that anyone would even suggest "Little Johnny" had anything to do with it.

Most annoying was listening to him incessantly racing up & down on his dirt bike (which was why he was 'borrowing fuel from every body in the area).

So I brought home about 10 gallons of real hot aviation fuel from the airport.  ;D

Saturday morning Little Johnny was again racing up & down on his bike..... for about 5 minutes.  ;)

Strangley though, Dad had to winch his Lawn Deere onto the trailer too, seems the almost new engine was kaputski. Strange.  :D

I've never lost an ounce fuel since then.    ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

rebocardo

Thank You Sponsors!