iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman 3.3 20 inch

Started by JimBuis, May 31, 2006, 09:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

I know some of you guys know a whole lot about chainsaws, so what better place to ask than here?  I am in Tokyo, Japan, so most everything here is astronomical in price.  I just got my hands on 6 logs that I need to make lumber out of.  I am now scrounging the stuff to make my own Alaskan mill.

I came up with a Craftsman 3.3, 20" bar.  Are parts available for this saw?  Is this saw any good?  I know it will be low on horsepower for milling.  Apart from that, please share your opinions with me on this saw.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

sawguy21

It is likely a Poulan so parts should be available but you are right, very short on power for milling and probably won't last long under heavy use. Still, run er till she drops. I imagine they must be expensive there as I have shipped saws and other equipment into northern Japan to Canadians teaching the locals stick built construction.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bill

I have an old Poulan 245a ( 4.5 CID ) that since I use for just firewood and has lasted these past years. Parts can be a bit touchy so an easy solution is to pick up a "parts" saw off eBay.

FWIW - I believe Sears used to tweak little odds and ends so you couldn't always just buy the Poulan ( or whatever mfg'r ) part without buying a whole assembly. eg I tried to get a carb kit for a hand me down Sears lawnmower once - no good - either get it from Sears or a whole carb from say tecumseh ( used is an option ).

Also I've always been fond of the theory that you let the machine ( or tool ) work at its own pace - it doesn't do any good to force it.

Good Luck

sawguy21

Sears was a b***er for that. They made changes and assigned their own model numbers to force us schmucks to go to them for parts and service. Jim's saw should be new enough to not be a problem as long as he can match the corresponding Poulan model. That 245A is an oldie.

JimBuis

I am surprised that the only place I can find any identification on this saw is painted on the bar.  I thought I'd at least find a nomenclature plate on it somewhere, but haven't found one yet.  If this thing is in fact from Poulan, any ideas how I can pin down an equivalent model number?

sawguy21

scottr

Jim , the Craftsman 3.3 models that I've seen on ebay are Poulan 3300 models . If you'll look it up on acresinternet .com  or if you want a IPL you can look it up on outdoordistributors .com   .                  Scott

rebocardo

> Is this saw any good?

Not for straight ripping like you want to do.

What might be better is to use a "beam machine" with a ripping chain to make 2x stock.

twoodward15

Jim, I just finally finished my home made alaskan mill.  If there is ANYTHING I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.  Look in my gallery to see some pics of it if you want.  I can get you some or all of the material if necessary as well as getting some of the machine work done.  Mine is 1 by 2 box aluminum.  I have a piece of 1x3 that might work better.  I'll look around here today to see what I can come up with for you.  I used a lot of nutplates to make mine so that I didn't have nuts sticking out everywhere.  The nutplates are inside the rails and work very well.  I can help you out there as well.  I think I have a bunch of them left over with the bolts to go with them.  Let me know if you need anyhting.
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

JimBuis

twoodward15,
Thank you for your offers of assistance.  I first need to get the chainsaw running.  It is full of gas that is at least four years old and has not been run in that long or longer.  If I can get it running, I'll get back on the Alaskan mill project.

Thanks,
Jim

twoodward15

How are you making out Jim????  Does the saw run or do you need to find a replacement? 

JimBuis

I haven't been able to spend much time messing with the saw yet.  I am back home in Illinois right now and for the next 7 weeks.  I have been wondering if I might find a used big displacement powerhead that I could ship back to Tokyo.  We'll have to see what the summer brings.

Jim

twoodward15

I don't know if you've seen it, but there is pictures of mine in my gallery.  I can probably make some bigger and e-mail them to you as well, or take some more if you want.  If you have access to a machine shop I can scroung eup some metal here and get it in a box to you in Illinois before you head back.  I'll be on vacation for a week if the rain stops come saturday.  let me know and I'll get some stuff together.

Thank You Sponsors!