iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

briggs rebuild question

Started by 9shooter, May 31, 2006, 12:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

The 8 hp briggs engine on my tiller broke. The connecting rod went to pieces. I got the engine torn most of the way down but can't get the fly wheel off the crank. I have a puller and have put quite a bit of pressure on it but the flywheel won't budge. Is it ok to heat the flywheel with a torch, or will that possibly damage the crank shaft? The cylinder seems ok and it looks like I might get lucky if I can get the flywheel off. I don't know how bad the crank bearing surface is but figure the aluminum rod might not have damaged the surface. I plan on polishing off the galled aluminum if that is the only problem.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

getoverit

I had the same problem with a 16hp IC Briggs a while back. How I finally got it off was to give the end of the puller a good whack with a 5lb hammer after it had quite a bit of stress on it. It popped right off :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

sawguy21

Using a jaw puller often breaks the flywheel. Rotate the flywheel until there is a spot away from the magnet clear of the cylinder. Pry up firmly under it with a small pinch bar or stout screwdriver in line with the key then give the side a smack with a 2 lb hammer, preferably brass.  It should pop loose. If it is the old style with the starter clutch, dont hit the crankshaft extension or you will mushroom it.
You might get away with polishing the journal if it is not scored. Muriatic acid will clean the aluminum off.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

I've always used sawguys method, but with 2 pry bars, just a little force on each one. The rap with the hammer nice & square on the end of the crank does the trick.  The starter clutch does have to be off, it unthreads.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sawguy21

Yeah, but I have only two hands :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

VA-Sawyer

Well.... You will just have to overcome that handicap the best you can.    ;D
VA-Sawyer

Don_Papenburg

Real stuborn ones can be heated but only a small amount is needed . just enough to boil spit.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!