iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut

Started by dad2nine, May 28, 2006, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

Got two walnut trees coming, including the root balls. About 20" diameter and about 24' plus of good straight trunk before the crotch.

Was thinking of cutting the trunks and bigger branches into 6 or 8' sections, and the crotch as long as I can get, but wanted to know what rough cut dimensions would sell best, 1x or 2x? As for the root balls, I'm going to power wash them. Since the root balls will more than likely be figured, was thinking about thick slabs, coated with anchor seal, for resaw or turning?

As you know I'm new to saw milling and don't have a good handle on what folks are looking for. I'm planning on selling the lumber. So please give me your thoughts, of what would sell best...

Thanks

Bibbyman

4/4 sawn 1-1/18" thick is the most popular thickness for general cabinet making.  But it's been my experiance that won't matter.  What ever thickness you make it – it'll not be the thickness the customer wants!  ::)

If you got some heavy burl or figure in some chunks,  you may want to cut it gunstock blanks.  It'll probably have to be at least 2-1/2" thick.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!