iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big fine for chainsaw accident

Started by Ianab, May 28, 2006, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

http://www.fencepost.com

Basically a couple had their young worker using a chainsaw, no protective gear, no training. Kicked back and hit him in the head.  At least most of the money went to the victim.
You local laws may vary, but I think that it's something to watch out for.

Be carefull out there.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Sounds downright scary but I could not find the story on your link.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Dang xml web pages, change every time you go there  ::)

This is the article anway.

QuoteFine After Face Slashed By Chainsaw

Thu 25-May-2006 1:43PM

A farming couple face a $20,000 penalty for endangering a worker whose face was slashed by a chainsaw.

The pair from Warkworth, north of Auckland, have been fined $4,000 and ordered to pay $16,000 in reparation under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

The 18-year-old farmhand was using the chainsaw when it kicked back, severely injuring his face and narrowly missing an eye.

He had not been provided with any safety equipment or protective clothing, and had used a chainsaw only once before.

The Department of Labour's chief advisor for health and safety, Mike Cosman, says shonky equipment in the hands of an inexperienced operator wearing no protective gear is a recipe for disaster.

The ACC says chainsaw injuries cost over $2 million a year.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Do you know if the saw was equipped with a brake? I would be interested in knowing what he was doing with it. Maybe limbing off a ladder or cutting poles above waist height. Accidents like that are far too common.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

I heard that the saw had no (or broken) chainbrake, but I cant confirm that.
The reference to "shonky equipment in the hands of an inexperienced operator wearing no protective gear " sorta suggests a saw problem as well.

It brings to mind the post a while back about a member's young helper having a mishap, but being saved from injury by chainsaw chaps.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!