iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If ya got extra tomatoes

Started by Mooseherder, May 28, 2006, 01:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I know this ain't no cooking forum, but we have been making this for a couple years and hope you will enjoy.

The ingredients are 8-10 Tomatoes
Half a Vadalia or sweet onion
1 Large Jalapeno
3/4 cup Fresh Cilantro
2 teaspoons minced garlic
optional:
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
I Tablespoon Hot Pepper Sauce

Then Dice Onions

Then the Jalapeno. Note the half slice on left will have less heat than the half on right side.
The whiter part of the inner packs the heat.

Chop the Jalapeno as fine as you can.

Then Comes the Finely chopped fresh cilantro, this is what gives it that distinctive salsa flavor.
Just hold the bunch together and chop.

Then comes the Minced Garlic.

Then add in the optional ingredients if you like.
Let it stew at room temperature for an hour and dig in with your favorite tortilla chip!
It'll last in the refrigerator a couple days.
Hope you enjoy!

Mooseherder

Here is a pic of ingredients.
It takes about an hour to do because of all the dicing.
Haven't found any contraption that dices like they say they will.

Patty

That really looks delicious. Our tomatoes are still another month or so away. Right now all we are enjoying is the rhubarb and spinach, and a few early strawberries.

Last year Charlie posted a salsa recipe that is "slap your mama" good!  We are still enjoying the jars of it we put up last year. I keep meaning to tell him just how much we have enjoyed it. We put up about 50 pints of it last summer.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ianab

Think I'll have to bookmark this one  ;)

It's not tomato season here at the moment, but in the summer they are plentifull, and I do like a good salsa  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Onthesauk

Our's is much the same plus a 1/4 cup of fresh sqeezed lime juice.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thurlow

Who said this waddn't a cooking forum???  Name names!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Norm

Ummm ummm, boy I do love a good salsa. :)

Mooseherder I can't believe you think this is not the food forum, every topic on here sooner or later turns to it. :D

sawguy21

:D :D :D Oh yeah, fresh tomatoes.  8) I can hardly wait. That salsa looks great, just the thing on the coffee table while watching a late movie.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Qweaver

We call it pico de guio (gallo) and we add a whole lot more peppers and roma tomatoes, lime or limon juice and sometimes kernal corn for color and flavor.   While it might last a few days in the fridge and it's really better after a day or two...it rarely makes it that long without being scarfed up.

It made me want to get up and make some just looking at yours.  yumm

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

scsmith42

How does one "bookmark" a post?  I have not found any information re this in the help section.  Thx.  Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

isawlogs

You guys are taking tomatoes out of the garden ... Dont even have them in the garden yet .

scsmith42   ... Go to your Favorites and bookmark the page . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Or.......  if you really wanted to, you could click on Forum Extras at the top right of the page and go to the knowledge base where you will find all kinds of recipes in the Food section. :) :P

Jeff

Bookmark also means add to favorites.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Engineer

I bet that salsa goes well on top of a big pile of grits.....  :-\

Tom

believe it or not, You're probably right.  :D

sawguy21

A little extra jalopeno we might not notice the grits ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

I hope y'all never get a chance to eat them.  It wouldn't do to lessen the availability down here.

Thank You Sponsors!