iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bunks and Dogs and Hokiemill resurfaces

Started by Hokiemill, May 26, 2006, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

After a very, very long hiatus, Hokiemill returns.  Well, I've been here all along reading, but I just haven't had much to post about.  The paying job has kept me from doing any milling but things are slowing down and I'm back to my mini sawmill lot.  Been cleaning and organizing and spent the better part of the day milling out a couple hundred stickers and some 4x4s to get ready for some air-drying stacks.

It seems there has been a recent flurry of swingmill dogs and that's a good thing.  These new dogs look nice and are definitely better than the over-engineered pseudo sliding rigs I was once using.  But, in light of the new dog systems I'd like to give an Amen to the gospel that Captain and others having been preaching about simple notched bunks getting the job done.

The milling I did today used two 4x6 bunks with 6" x 2" square notches and they worked great.  Here's a few pictures of what's left of an 11" oak log.  This is the slab that was left (sorry about the poor quality - cell phone picture).

Here's how close I was able to take the slab down - only about a 1/4" or less above the bunk.

Not much left of the remaining slab.

Simple notched bunk.

If the money isn't there, simple notches work too.

Hopefully the work load will stay like it is and the milling and posts will continue.  Time to squeeze some money out of this hobby :D

Part_Timer

Welcome back.

I use the regular square notches and like them a lot but I must admit that I ordered a set of the new peterson dogs last night. 

Seems like all the cutting I do right now is on small logs that have been down and layin out in the sun for 2 or 3 years.  I have a hard time keeping them still.

I figured I might as well give em a try but for regular cutting I like my simple notches.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

NZJake

Knotches work great!

There are some negatives to them however...

#They only hold the log from sliding sideways, what about vertical bounce? Maybe cutting a 2" vertical on the last slab.

#They dont work that well when your log skin is smooth, they tend to rotate within the knotch (especially if the logs right ledge remains).

#It's a pain to prepare your knotches before the job. (you need a small knotch and a large knotch for different sized logs).

#It's a pain to carry your big bearers to the job, when you could have borrowed any 4"-5" material off your customer for the day.

#You have to proceed slow at the lower end of the log.

#Knotches don't offer any resawing/slab holding possibilities.

#They don't hold against tension movement as you cut, ie bowing up in the centre.

I really believe in knotches and have used them for years, inexpensive and blade safe.
But, you cant argue if these new dogs solve all the above.

Part_Timer, I have a hunch knotches maybe a thing of the past for you...

Jake.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

UNCLEBUCK

That is a very cool idear and every log you get a nice bench too ! Keep them boards a coming !  :)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Captain

Just a few negatives to add to Jake's list of when notches are not enough,

Small logs that the bark is falling off from and nothing but the slimey undersides remain.

Small debarked logs.

Logs covered with ice (never cut any of those, have you Jake??)

Sawing with a Peterson ASM...just don't have that manual input to tell how hard you are pushing.

Still loving square edged notches.....but sees the need for dogs as well

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!